Why am I not loosing?

Options
rhjsgal354
rhjsgal354 Posts: 21 Member
I am at a complete loss right now, and I don't mean weight loss. I have been on the low carb real food diet for four weeks and have lost 6 pounds. I have stayed under 24 carbs a day my fats are around 55% and I raised my caloric intake To 1900 calories, I've basted this on the keto Calculator. I have kept up with my woes water and I'm at about 120 ounces a day. I cannot think of anything that I am doing wrong. I am not sure how to make my Diary public, but I'm more than willing to share it with you. I weighed 198 and lost two ponds the first week and two the second, nothing for two weeks. Any help would be appreciated. I have no plans on giving up on this, NONE. But do think there is something I may be missing, including a thyroid problem that is still undiagnosed. Although my blood work shows some kind of somethings wrong. I am including in so pictures my past several days of carb and calorie and my macro for your viewing. Thank you in advance. P.s. I am 50 yrs young

Replies

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    You've lost more than a pound a week.
    That's great progress
    Don't compare yourself to what you've heard others are losing.
    You're losing more than lots of people too. Not everyone loses at the same rate.
    Congratulations on a great month. 6 pounds is to be celebrated. Whatever you're doing is working.
    You've got something going on in your head trying to tell you otherwise

Ditto.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the six pounds and the great month!!!

You don't mention how active you are. I am 42, 5'8" and 185 lbs. When sedentary, I maintain on around 1650 calories. Not sure if that will change as I have just started low-carb.

I have to eat around 1600 and exercise a lot (weight training and running) to still lose at a snail's pace. MFP gives me an RMR of 1940, but I have discovered it is about 300 calories lower.

I am not aware of any thyroid disorder, though most of the women in my family have a diagnosis around age 50 so it could be lurking.

Maybe drop your calories a little (~100 or 200 calories) or add some extra exercise?

Good luck!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    To make your diary public, go to settings and you can change diary privacy there.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @RunRachelleRun & @rhjsgal354

Thyroid issues can be present 10-15 years before they show up on the standard screening tests (TSH, T4, etc.). If you're interested, there are more tests (particularly anti-bodies tests and reverse numbers) that can give a better picture of overall thyroid issues, but personally, I've found that getting my thyroid stuff under control (FINALLY, this has been ten years ongoing already) is about the only thing that is helping me feel better overall... In fact, I've found out just in the last month or two how CRUCIAL my lack of gallbladder, low stomach acid, and poor digestion are to thyroid health - without stomach acid high enough - you can't convert T4 to T3, you can't absorb iron or other minerals needed for thyroid health, and so many other things...

I have seriously come to the conclusion that digestion, and related gut health, seem to be the trigger or cause of nearly every metabolic issue I've researched. In fact, it is very likely low stomach acid from eating grains and sugars and other SADietary foods that dropped my naturally low stomach acids and contributed to my gallstones and needing to have my gallbladder removed (which knowing what I know now, really might have been treatable and not necessary to remove, MIGHT)... It either triggered or created my insulin resistance (likely, not provable as far as I know). It contributed to all sorts of nutrient mal-absorption, which created a cascading failure that lead to, well, pretty much everything else...

So I'd definitely keep an eye on your gut health. (I now do probiotics, diatomaceous earth, apple cider vinegar, and digestive enzymes daily - and am finally feeling the impact of my supplements the way "normal" people often report - but that I never have!) Personally, it makes me wonder if the fact that I've almost never had the side effects of medications (any RX or OTC) that most folks report isn't because of some natural tolerance - or that medications "wore off" for me 25% faster - or more - not because I was obese, but more because I never had enough stomach acid to properly absorb everything. This is also a genetic thing, because my father has it - and my daughter seems to have all the hallmark signs, too...
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss I have been debating whether to pay for a test in the US. Our healthcare requires a TSH out of range to test any of the others. It's hard to know whether it would be worth what would amount to about $300 and the trouble of going there for it.

I think you're spot on about gut health. I'm a huge fan of probiotics and have noticed a great difference when taking them too. I hope we both can get ours sorted out. I'm so happy to hear about your positive results!

That's interesting about your medications. I'm the opposite. I'm very sensitive to most medications and generally require a smaller dose for a person my size. I hesitate to even take a Tylenol. My husband and son are the opposite and seem to need the highest doses for everything.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @RunRachelleRun - My endocrinologist told me that at 40 years of age (last month) that my TSH should be well below 2.000 uIU/mL. Period. Even though the range is 0.36 - 3.740 uIU/mL. He said that range covers all ages, genders, etc. Since we're about the same age, if yours is higher than 2.000 uIU/mL, I'd be all over that like a house on fire. I'm in the US also, and it took my TSH getting over 4.000 for my PCP to feel "justified" in doing something about it. In fact, my first endo (this guy is my third, and my absolute favorite!) told me that I was "barely high enough to need medication," and that I "needed to lose weight and stop being fat" before he could "tell if the meds were actually helping or if I was just fat." Um, anyone with thyroid issues knows you have to get your thyroid adjusted before you have much chance at losing weight... Needless to say I fired him...

stopthethyroidmadness.com/recommended-labwork/ This website is kind of my "basics" site for determining what to test, rough ratios, and such. It's not perfect, but it condenses most of what I've learned and verified in a concise way. There are several labs listed here that might have better rates than $300 for the tests, but I understand why that can be prohibitive. Even if you don't do full package, to me, you need TSH, T4 and T3 - totals, free, and reverse. Personally, I'd also prefer the anti-bodies tests, because they can show problems that aren't even in the other numbers yet. But that's my personal experience and suggestion.

So all that aside...I'm not sure how much of my stuff is actually the probiotics. I have suspect candida or similar issues, and when I started the probiotics, I didn't have the die-off misery that my doc and I both expected. So I don't know if they are actually working - or what. I can tell you that the DE absolutely is helping. I can tell that my bowels get all kinds of unhappy if I don't take it... But sleep and gut health/digestion - those seem to be a the center of health universe, period, full stop...

As for the medication reactions, it could be possible that I have an enzyme you don't or vice versa... No telling!! I have so many health issues at this point, I swear, I could go on the medical show "House" for fun...
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss I am in Canada but close enough to travel to the US. That website is where I learned I could get the tests on my own. It is a great resource. I will have to check my last numbers. I know the TSH range here was quite broad, I think it might have gone up to 5 and as low as .025 or something. I believe mine was in the mid 2s, so it appeared to be right in the middle on the test results.

I don't have as many symptoms as I once did, but I lost the outer third of my eyebrows quite a few years ago and I miss them lol . The hair everywhere else on my face os growing like crazy. It's messed up! I also have an arrhythmia, which I believe could be the result of a thyroid disorder. I have never seen an endocrinologist. It would take some serious test results to get a referral to one up here.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Understandable on the healthcare system issues. @RunRachelleRun, you have my sympathies! I'd pretty much pay through the nose at this point to get a knowledgeable practitioner of any kind - who listens and will consider unconventional things. My endo is a huge fan of crowd-sourcing information and troubleshooting. He said that it's a huge advantage that we have today over previous decades - and some of the embarrassing veil of secrecy is lifted, too.

I only recently learned about the eyebrow indicator - as I have had that somewhat all my life.

Did you know, too, that nearly all types of edema and swelling are generally not heart related - they're thyroid related - unless it is a super special condition - or your thyroid stuff has gone on so long that it causes a new heart condition or triggers an underlying issue? I couldn't believe that... Never heard of it until recently.

Low stomach acid is another big factor, so anyone without a gallbladder has increased risk factors...

SO MANY THINGS, and yet the medical field acts like thyroid issues aren't a thing??? *sigh*

I'd hesitate to suggest any supplements or anything, because some things aggravate certain thyroid issues, help other ones, and vice versa... I think one universal thing is the D3/K2, Magnesium, and Vitamin A balance...and it's so critical in women, too.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    The hair everywhere on your face is actually more indicative of a hormone imbalance, like high testosterone or PCOS... If you haven't tried something like Inositol, Maca Root, or Vitex to help naturally level out your hormones, it might be worth it...

I don't understand how an arrhythmia doesn't get you another referral, though, personally. But that's just me... (sigh)
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    Oh, I saw a cardiologist and an internist for my heart issues. I was really sick for about six months just before I joined MFP in 2014. But the arrythmia now is supposedly begign and something they are not concerned with lol. I have learned not to be either.

I bought inositol and it is sitting in my cupboard. I had a hard time remembering to use it since it is a powder. I don't seem to have other symptoms of PCOS, so I think the hairy face must be insulin resistance. Doc doesn't care about that one either. She has been the best doctor I have had, so I live with not knowing as I am not sure there are better ones out there. She was good for the serious stuff. Not so great about the little, nagging stuff.

I did not know that about swelling. I do get that in my ankles when I sit too long or sometimes in my hands on long walks. Sounds like the testing might be worth it. Thanks!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Since inositol is B8, and our bodies make it, some of us just don't make enough, it's considered to be "safe" and therapeutic doses are up to 8-12 grams and such... I could tolerate low levels of it, but anything higher than 1 gram started trying to fix my BCP situation - and since I couldn't do that, I stopped taking it, though it is in my B-Complex in a low dose that doesn't seem to be a problem.

I'm glad you have a doctor who is great with most things. Maybe if you took research to her on some things, she might be willing to consider additional research to confirm and related testing subsequently? I've learned that most of the best docs do, as long as you're not a jerk and act convinced you know everything and they know nothing...

Good luck solving the mystery!!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss I have been debating whether to pay for a test in the US. Our healthcare requires a TSH out of range to test any of the others. It's hard to know whether it would be worth what would amount to about $300 and the trouble of going there for it.

I think you're spot on about gut health. I'm a huge fan of probiotics and have noticed a great difference when taking them too. I hope we both can get ours sorted out. I'm so happy to hear about your positive results!

That's interesting about your medications. I'm the opposite. I'm very sensitive to most medications and generally require a smaller dose for a person my size. I hesitate to even take a Tylenol. My husband and son are the opposite and seem to need the highest doses for everything.

@RunRachelleRun MSP does not require you to pay for the antibodies test even if your others are 'normal', your doc just has to order it. I live in the N. Okanagan and my doc did this in April and I'm scheduled for another in Oct to see if what I am doing helps. All my labs are 'normal' range except antibodies at 1100 instead of <67.
    Find a doc who will send you for the lab tests if your present one is resistant. VERY important to get a full panel. Msg me if you like... :)
  • RunRachelleRun
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @canadjineh (love your user name!) I didn't think I could even pay for it up here; do you think that's an option? I meant I could order it and pay on my own in the US. It's about $200 US, which is $300 Cdn lol

My doc won't do it. She said she's not allowed unless my TSH is out of range. Doesn't matter about my family history. I looked it up on the BC Healthcare site to see if I could pay for it privately up here instead of going to the US and it reiterated the same information she gave me.

I will ask her about adding the antibodies to the TSH? Did you do anything special to request that from your doctor?

Thanks!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @RunRachelleRun My Oct test will have the following on it: TSH, Free T3, Free T4, TPO Abs, Tgb Abs, reverse T3, serum selenium, spot urinary iodine. I don't know why your doctor says its not allowed. Get a referral to an endocrinologist. Wondering if it's different between Fraser Health and Interior Health (?)

"It frequently happens that Hashimoto's disease is missed because of undue reliance on blood tests. Usually the T4 is low, although it may not be out of range. So too, may be the T3. This will suggest poor thyroid hormone output. While in the normal course of events the TSH normally rises in this situation, it may actually be normal, or even low. The reason for this is a down-grading of the hypothalamic/pituitary axis due to the state of hypo-metabolism that the low thyroid function induces. (This also applies to adrenal function, which it may be remembered, can also be damaged by autoimmune disease.)

The hypothalamus responds poorly to the low thyroid blood levels, and may not produce a normal level of Thyrotrophin Releasing Hormone (TRH). In addition, the pituitary, also affected adversely by the state of hypo-metabolism, may not properly respond to the TRH, and not therefore produce a normal level of TSH.

The thyroid itself, being damaged by the white cell infiltration and with damaged TSH receptors, may well be less responsive to TSH anyway. So there is a chain reaction of failure, beginning with the hypothalamus and extending to the pituitary. The antibody test is usually pretty conclusive and any level of thyroid antibodies will suggest an autoimmune process at work; although as noted above, as the damage becomes chronic the levels may lessen."
    thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_the_thyroid/hashimotos.html

"Hashimoto's thyroiditis (HT) is characterized by the presence of antibodies against thyroid peroxidase (anti-TPO) and/or antibodies against thyroglobulin (TG-Ab). It is one of the most common autoimmune endocrine disorders of the female population and the most prevalent cause of subclinical or overt hypothyroidism in areas with sufficient iodine intake.[1] It is associated with a wide range of organ-specific and non-organ-specific autoimmune diseases, some malignant diseases, and others.[2] Moreover, it has also been shown to substantially affect a patient's quality of life.[3,4]

To date, symptoms, complications and other diseases linked with HT were considered to be caused, first and foremost, by overt hypothyroidism. However, in our experience, many patients complain of still experiencing 'thyroid symptoms', including chronic weakness, tiredness, lack of concentration and dry skin, among others, despite the fact that all thyroid parameters are within the normal range. This is in accordance with reports from various HT support groups on the internet.[101] In this article, we aim to provide an overview on the impact of HT when thyroid gland function is normal.

Left ventricular performance, normal when evaluated by conventional echocardiographic methods, has been found to be impaired when the Tei-index and tissue Doppler parameters are used. Cardiac autonomic function is also impaired in HT patients.[31] Moreover, mitral valve prolapse, leading to a variety of unspecific symptoms including dizziness upon first standing, wide swings in blood pressure, fatigue and exercise intolerance, and shortness of breath among others, has been associated with thyroid autoimmunity. Mitral valve prolapse has even been mentioned to be a possible early index of autoimmunity.[32,33] Probable mechanisms that may explain the link between changes in cardiac function and euthyroid chronic thyroiditis are probably related to autoimmunity. However, the molecular, physiologic and clinical evidence is still missing. Whether HT-specific therapy including selenium or levothyroxine supplementation (see below) might improve cardiac function remains open for further studies. It has been reported that selenium deficiency-induced heart failure might be reversed after treatment with selenium.[34]

Gut disorders have also been associated with thyroid disorders. Although gut disorders are commonly caused by hypothyroidism, which leads to decreased esophageal, gastric and bowel motility, HT may also be directly linked with disorders of the gut including inflammatory bowel disease, primary biliary cirrhosis, celiac disease and possibly an autoimmune gastritis.[35] Notably, these gastrointestinal conditions need to be treated independently from any HT-specific therapy.

Fibromyalgia, a disorder of as yet unclear pathophysiology and etiology, characterized by pain involving most of the body, has also been linked to HT, independent of thyroid function.[36]

HT is certainly a matter of high clinical relevance, even when thyroid gland function is normal. With no doubt, a group of HT patients with normal TSH levels do not report any symptoms. However, many are affected by several conditions accompanying HT. In the future, the symptoms associated with HT will become increasingly important, owing to the fact that the incidence of HT has increased over the last several decades and this increase is expected to continue.[37,38] The reasons are unclear. In addition to radiation exposure, increased iodide intake has been linked to the development of autoimmune thyroiditis, which is thought to have pleiotropic effects on various metabolic or immunological processes.[39]"

Sorry about the heavy duty scientific language, but this is a medical professionals site. Tell your doctor to look up this Medscape link (Clinical updates for Medical Professionals): Hashimoto's Thyroiditis in Patients With Normal Thyroid-stimulating Hormone Levels Regina Promberger; Michael Hermann; Johannes Ott
    Disclosures
    Expert Rev Endocrinol Metab. 2012;7(2):175-179.
    medscape.com/viewarticle/760417_1

Although this is from 2012, more updated material concerning selenium supplementation is here: Selenium and the Thyroid Gland
    Anne Drutel; Françoise Archambeaud; Philippe Caron
    Disclosures
    Clin Endocrinol. 2013;78(2):155-164.

medscape.com/viewarticle/777483_5
    "Recently, a study carried out in patients presenting with Hashimoto's thyroiditis with normal T4 levels and normal or slightly elevated TSH levels because of the absence of levothyroxine therapy demonstrated a significant decrease in anti-TPO antibody levels following 12 months supplementation with sodium selenite administered at physiological doses (80 μg/day).[53] It should be noted that the decrease in anti-TPO antibody levels was more important the higher their initial titre. In fact, Karanikas et al.[54] demonstrated a correlation between anti-TPO antibody levels and the production of inflammatory cytokines by thyroid lymphocytes, suggesting that the efficacy of selenium could be more marked during episodes of inflammation.

Changes in anti-TPO antibody titres following selenium supplementation in patients presenting with chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis. The second part of the study, only included patients previously treated with selenium (according to Turker et al.).

Only one study demonstrated improvement in thyroid gland ultrasound structure in patients whose anti-TPO antibody levels had decreased to below 50 mUI/l,[48] with no hormonal changes (TSH, T4, T3) or changes in treatment with levothyroxine being observed. Finally, smoking has been identified as a resistance factor to selenium supplementation.[52]

On discontinuation of selenium supplementation, one study found that antibody levels increased to their initial levels after 3–6 months,[51] while another study found that the antibody levels remained stable.[52] In three studies, supplemented patients reported improved well-being, independently of the effect on anti-TPO antibodies. The positive effect appears to be related to a direct effect of selenium on cerebral and cognitive functions. Safety was found to be excellent in most patients except in a few rare cases where gastrointestinal disorders were reported.

Most authors consider that selenium affects the immune system through regulation of the production of the reactive oxygen species and their metabolites. Selenium supplementation appears to reinforce intrathyroidal GPX and TR activity, probably by increasing the concentration of selenium within the thyroid.[49] Recent data have also shown that a link exists between selenium and immune cells, namely T cells. Xue et al.[55] demonstrated a significant reduction in antithyroglobulin antibodies associated with decreased lymphocyte infiltration of the thyroid following selenium supplementation of mice with iodine-induced autoimmune thyroiditis. Finally, other data seem point to the participation of other selenoproteins, namely in macrophages. In mice with the tRNA (Ser) Sec gene specifically deleted in myeloid cells, aberrant migration of macrophages is observed, which perturbs the maintenance of tissue integrity in the body.[56]

Thus, the beneficial effects of selenium on thyroid autoimmune parameters appear to be interesting but currently, very few data are available on clinical applications. It is indispensible to carry out new studies assessing changes in levothyroxine dosages, thyroid ultrasound or cytologic and even histologic data to determine the efficacy of selenium supplementation in prevention and reversal of thyroid damage. Similarly, it would be interesting to be able to establish a relationship between the efficacy of selenium treatment, the initial titre of anti-TPO antibodies and/or early supplementation with respect to disease onset."

"Several studies have demonstrated the benefits of selenium supplementation in the management of autoimmune thyroid disorders. In Hashimoto's disease, selenium supplementation appears to potentiate the activity of selenoproteins, thereby decreasing local inflammatory reactions, which decrease anti-TPO antibody production and improves thyroid morphology. In Graves' disease, administration of selenium could help to promote euthyroidism and appears to have a beneficial effect on the development of at least moderate or mild orbitopathy."

So in essence what is being said is that selenium supplementation brings the thyroid back into balance whether you have Hashi's or Graves'.

I did take the references to my doc, but since I have had him for 34 years, he also trusts me enough to know I am researching legit sites and he pretty well gives me what I ask if I can explain my reasons. He is open to learning as he cannot be an expert on every disease process there is - he has often said that patients should be the experts on whatever their diseases/conditions are through trusted research, so they can advocate for better care.
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    Super detailed information, @canadjineh . I definitely have some of those heart and blood pressure issues, which are currently unexplained. I will take this info to her at my next appointment, and hopefully she will have enough reason to do a full panel or at least test the antibodies. I find her to be somewhat impatient, but maybe if I can give her a print-out and link to this information, it will help. Couldn't hurt anyway. If she won't, looks like it would be worth paying for the panel privately in the States. If there is something wrong, I'm sure our healthcare would cover costs in future. If not, I'd have peace of mind. Thanks again!
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Could you have insulin resistance at this point in your life? It can take a few weeks to bring insulin levels down. Insulin is the fat storage hormone and as long as it is higher than normal, it is hard to lose weight. Dr. Jason Fung explains it very well in his book "The Obesity Code". He also has webcasts (?) and I think YouTube videos. Insulin resistance means the body has to put out more insulin in order to get the glucose into our cells. And protein after the body's needs are met is metabolized into glucose. So perhaps lowering your protein intake a bit.

I'm a medical technologist and I don't want to get technical here (which I have a tendency to do), but if you can find any of Dr. Fung's podcasts or webcasts or whatever they are called to explain insulin resistance and weight loss, it might be helpful. Good luck. And I agree 6 pounds is great! But I know what you mean. Last week, I lost 0.2 pounds. But I had eaten something starchy carb and it kicked me out of ketosis. It has taken 4 days of a fat fast to break through and get at least a small reading on the ketostix. Grrrrr
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    suzqtme wrote: »
    Could you have insulin resistance at this point in your life? It can take a few weeks to bring insulin levels down. Insulin is the fat storage hormone and as long as it is higher than normal, it is hard to lose weight. Dr. Jason Fung explains it very well in his book "The Obesity Code". He also has webcasts (?) and I think YouTube videos. Insulin resistance means the body has to put out more insulin in order to get the glucose into our cells. And protein after the body's needs are met is metabolized into glucose. So perhaps lowering your protein intake a bit.

I'm a medical technologist and I don't want to get technical here (which I have a tendency to do), but if you can find any of Dr. Fung's podcasts or webcasts or whatever they are called to explain insulin resistance and weight loss, it might be helpful. Good luck. And I agree 6 pounds is great! But I know what you mean. Last week, I lost 0.2 pounds. But I had eaten something starchy carb and it kicked me out of ketosis. It has taken 4 days of a fat fast to break through and get at least a small reading on the ketostix. Grrrrr

There are some great videos by Jason Fung in the launchpad under video submissions.
    This link will take you lots of resources.
    There is also a great video by Sarah Halberg there as well.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348421/recommended-videos-movies-podcasts-and-clips#latest
    Lots of great stuff really!