What is up with this trend I'm seeing???

Options

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I think keto is just getting trendy. They're dumbing it down a bit so it fits into popular culture better. Maybe.
    Kim "Keto Kid" Kardashian. Has a nice ring to it. Well, it has a ring to it.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    I think keto is just getting trendy. They're dumbing it down a bit so it fits into popular culture better. Maybe.

Meh. She'd lose that scary wide backside if she did keto. Or not.... I wonder what she had "done" to end up looking like that. It's a bit weird, IMO.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    To me it seems like they are taking carb ups or carbcycling to an extreme. I've heard that one day of adding more veg, or a sweet potato or something then going back to strict low carb high fat promotes more weight loss. I don't do it but I think that's what's going on. People are misunderstanding what it really is.
    A lot of Strongman athletes will use pre-workout carb-ups, as will many powerlifters. These usually include a LOT of fast digesting sugars, like dextrose, and various refined sugars. This is because of their volume and intensity. Keto is great for endurance. It's *kitten* for intensity. When every move you make while training is an explosive one, loss of explosive performance won't do.

Jeff Volek is a powerlifter and one of the longest-running keto advocates. He might take issue with your *kitten* theory.

Not to take anything away from him, but comparing Volek to the likes of Jamie Lewis, Dan Green, and Stan Efferding is a bit of a stretch, to say the least. I am talking about powerlifters performing at the highest rungs.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Ah, gotcha. I can't recall if he's looked at any of the top dogs in powerlifting, but I'll try to remember to check next time I'm stuck waiting to post bail.
  • RalfLott
    edited August 2016
    Options

Meh. She'd lose that scary wide backside if she did keto. Or not.... I wonder what she had "done" to end up looking like that. It's a bit weird, IMO.

It's the best smile she's got...... (which ain't sayin' much).
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    I get stuff tastes good, but lots of stuff I eat tastes good.

THIS. I'm sick of people asking me how the *kitten* I live without sugar, pasta, bread, etc. and I am a broken record, saying "I'm not deprived. I am loving every bite."

Heck - if it doesn't taste good I don't eat it. Why would I eat something I don't like just because it fits into my WOE? When I ate low fat for all those years I didn't eat rice cakes because they suck. So why would anyone do that now? There are so many wonderful foods in our WOE that just hit home for me. Tonight I sliced a pork roast up in thin slices and made pork/veggie stir fry and can I just tell you...it tastes wonderful with nearly no carbs - and the carbs that are in it are from veggies....oh so good!
  • anewlifeat40
    anewlifeat40 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I watch a couple channels of people who have lost of a lot of weight and then they go on to compete in physique type competitions, and the contrast between the cutting before a competition and then the bingeing afterwards makes me cringe so hard. :neutral:
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    That's about what my taco salads look like, though, admittedly, I also like to to throw in some black olive slices and sometimes skip the salsa in favor of some fresh tomato, sometimes I also put in jalapenos!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I don't get it either. In the past 11 months I've had two meals that weren't technically keto. I don't call them cheats because it was controlled, special occasions, and I had zero guilt. Plus I still probably didn't top 100 carbs for the day. One was my bday lasagna which I've had every year since I've eaten solid food. Gluten free due to celiac. The other was a gluten free cupcake on a day trip we took for our 10th anniversary. I was right back super low carb the next meal. No cravings. Still in ketosis the next day. Probably because I'm fully fat adapted and these two meals were 5 months apart! If I wanted to I'm sure I could find an excuse to eat cake or whatever weekly but why??? I'd never have fully fat adapted if I did that...

Also workouts. My first run after a full year off was better than when I ran regularly. The only difference was keto. I run and do higher intensity workouts with nearly zero carbs most days and have no problems. I think these people jump in and out and screw up their electrolytes...then it's an endless cycle where they think they need carb refeeds for performance.
  • Zenwenner
    Zenwenner Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    I get stuff tastes good, but lots of stuff I eat tastes good.

THIS. I'm sick of people asking me how the *kitten* I live without sugar, pasta, bread, etc. and I am a broken record, saying "I'm not deprived. I am loving every bite."

Heck - if it doesn't taste good I don't eat it. Why would I eat something I don't like just because it fits into my WOE? When I ate low fat for all those years I didn't eat rice cakes because they suck. So why would anyone do that now? There are so many wonderful foods in our WOE that just hit home for me. Tonight I sliced a pork roast up in thin slices and made pork/veggie stir fry and can I just tell you...it tastes wonderful with nearly no carbs - and the carbs that are in it are from veggies....oh so good!

Today I posted these pics of the taco salad I had for dinner and the keto crepes I had for lunch on my FB page and everyone was drooling over the pics... Total net carbs for these two very filling delicious meals was 24. I'll take this way of eating and feeling THIS great over crap carbs ANY day!

8suzkaacqcea.jpg

sbp11dqpfvueo.jpg

Those crepes look like my breakfast tomorrow...recipe? *beg beg*
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Yes, indeed. Even in an ideal world, different folks would find their way to different diets. (Just looking at the compadres in our little world, some need a substantial wad of fiber in their daily diets, while others are left moaning if they consume more than a small amount....)

It does seem that the best of the nutrition gurus out there (Phinney, Volek, D'Agostino, Taubes, Noakes, Westman, Ames, Patrick, Perlmutter, etc.) are the ones who take pains to emphasize the profound individual differences we bring to the table.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    @auntstephie321 I don't think we mean to be judging anyone. It's just that when you are looking for accounts to follow you see #keto or whatever and then it's not keto. So it's frustrating. It kind of spreads misinformation to people who are just learning. Keto is not the right diet for everyone and that's fine! No judgement so long as they don't cloud the water by labeling their cheat meal #keto.

I have the same frustration when I see people without celiac make a big deal of ordering gluten free and then at the end of the meal get a regular dessert. That leads servers and other diners to assume all gluten free eaters do it by choice and isn't something to take seriously.

So basically eat how you feel your best. Just don't label it as something it isn't.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

It's the best smile she's got...... (which ain't sayin' much).

:D
  • anewlifeat40
    Options
    Zenwenner wrote: »

Those crepes look like my breakfast tomorrow...recipe? *beg beg*

This is my personal blog... have at her! :smiley:

https://anewlifeatforty.wordpress.com/2016/07/30/cream-cheese-crepes-recipe/

• anewlifeat40
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about the vlogs if they don't line up with your way of doing things. Everyone will find a different way that works best for them.

There are likely just as many if not more sites that don't advocate partial keto weeks or cheat days, follow the ones that appeal to you. No need to understand why others don't do it that way, like someone else mentioned the science of long term studies on nutrition are still few so no one really knows the one true best way to do this, their likely isn't one. Everyone is just trying to find their path, it's unfortunate to see others being judged for their diet choices not meeting certain standards.

As a newb doing this for the first time, understanding everything is my main goal... LOL My whole issue is I don't HAVE a standard, I don't know enough to judge, it's all a great big sea of different approaches, so if I never question anything that seems weird I'm going to end up unintentionally sabotaging my goals... Of COURSE I'd love to have my cake and eat it too, but from what I've experienced and know so far, it seemed off to me... this group is a conglomeration of super informative and knowledgeable people, who also happen to be nice and supportive, so this felt like the natural place to ask questions about it.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @anewlifeat40, that's a beautiful blog! Very nicely presented and beautiful food pix.

Congrats - you're clearly on the path to success: a lifetime of better health.