Phase 2: The Keto Bulk

Options
123457»

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ if you are close to goal in scale weight, have you considered recomposition?

Eat at maintenance or a slight deficit, lift, and lose fat while gaining muscle? Much longer process but you don't have to do the bulk/cut cycles.

Bulks generally work best when you have a low bodyfat percentage to begin with. Sub20% for women, I believe.

Edited to add: My phone auto corrected recomposition to decomposition lol don't decompose on me!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ if you are close to goal in scale weight, have you considered recomposition?

Eat at maintenance or a slight deficit, lift, and lose fat while gaining muscle? Much longer process but you don't have to do the bulk/cut cycles.

Bulks generally work best when you have a low bodyfat percentage to begin with. Sub20% for women, I believe.

Edited to add: My phone auto corrected recomposition to decomposition lol don't decompose on me!

I'm not trying to bulk. I'm trying very hard NOT to bulk. Lol
    The problem is the constant hunger I've been having since I started. I expected scale weight gain from the inflammation upon starting, but I figured it would start to go away over the following weeks. But, it's just going up and up and up... so, I can only assume I'm eating too much since I don't track anymore. I don't really believe in the need for counting if you can achieve hunger control, but that's kinda been a problem lately...
    Also, were talking about 6-7 pounds on the highest weigh ins, which do fluctuate a few pounds, so, it's nothing crazy and I'm probably over reacting because I've gotten all in my head about it.
    I don't want to go back to tracking because I don't like that idea anymore. I feel like I made progress on identifying real hunger when I stopped counting. I've just had a sudden rush of mental hunger or habit eating or something get reignited. I actually think that eating breakfast has messed up my natural fasting behavior so much that I can't seem to fast anymore except if I'm asleep! I don't like it!
    Tomorrow is not a gym day, so I'm going to fast for as long as I can. Aiming for 24 hours to see if I can reset my natural eating behavior or something. I last ate tonight around 9:30, had a square of dark chocolate and some coffee with half n half. Dinner was at 6:30. If I can fast til 6:30 tomorrow, that'll be a huge help I think. I hope.
    It's been difficult to deal with the increased hunger because I feel like the right thing to do is to eat but then I'm having that feeling all day long. That doesn't make sense. So I know it's not real hunger. Not all day anyway.
    I'm not eating the wrong foods. The only carbs I eat are in the very limited veggies I have some days, not every day, and dairy, and dark chocolate about every other day. None of that is new. I don't even use cream in coffee unless it's afternoon or evening. I don't like it in the morning.
    So anyway, I'm adjusting and I'm fine with whatever happens scale wise within reason, but I'm not fine with all day hunger that's not real. I've gotten that messed up somehow.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    The very problem you are describing is why I temporarily abandoned my original diet in favor of what I am currently doing. All of the keto foods that I got used to making me full easily when I was sitting in my *kitten*, suddenly weren't doing a damn thing for me once I started training again, unless I was eating about three times what I needed to.
    The good thing about protein powders is that due to their very nature, you end up consuming an absurd amount of water with them, which makes it far more difficult to put in more calories than is necessary. The downside is that if I don't actually force myself to eat real food at least once per day, I'd find myself on the southside of 900 kcal per day, which obviously wouldn't be good for what I am trying to do.
    Fortunately, fluff has made the control easier for that one meal. Eat the kcals I need, and then as soon as my gut starts screaming for more food, I cram it full of protein infused air.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    The very problem you are describing is why I temporarily abandoned my original diet in favor of what I am currently doing. All of the keto foods that I got used to making me full easily when I was sitting in my *kitten*, suddenly weren't doing a damn thing for me once I started training again, unless I was eating about three times what I needed to.
    The good thing about protein powders is that due to their very nature, you end up consuming an absurd amount of water with them, which makes it far more difficult to put in more calories than is necessary. The downside is that if I don't actually force myself to eat real food at least once per day, I'd find myself on the southside of 900 kcal per day, which obviously wouldn't be good for what I am trying to do.
    Fortunately, fluff has made the control easier for that one meal. Eat the kcals I need, and then as soon as my gut starts screaming for more food, I cram it full of protein infused air.

I have chocolate and vanilla powder from Primal Kitchen. I may give that a try. I just can't imagine that being more satisfying than the eggs, meat and cheese that is typical lunch.
    I am going to attempt a fast tomorrow first. Then have dinner. The next day, I'll try making it til my normal lunchtime and having a shake or two instead of my normal food options.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

I have chocolate and vanilla powder from Primal Kitchen. I may give that a try. I just can't imagine that being more satisfying than the eggs, meat and cheese that is typical lunch.
    I am going to attempt a fast tomorrow first. Then have dinner. The next day, I'll try making it til my normal lunchtime and having a shake or two instead of my normal food options.

It's not quite what I would call more satisfying, at least not in the same way. It's more a physical feeling of no more being able to fit, than a sense of satiety. I tend to use about 50% more water than the labels suggest, but all of the MyPro powders that I use are strongly flavored enough that it's not a big deal. They also mix very well with greek yogurts and a bit of water.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Day 57: 10/11/16

Overhead Press: 65x5/75x5/95x5/115x3/135x1/145xmiss/135x1x5
    Klokov Press: 65x5/85x5x2/95x3x3
    Hammer Curl: 40x8/45x6x2/45x5
    DB Clean and Press: 35x4/40x5/45x3/50x1
    Weighted Ab Crunch: 65x30/75x26/80x18/70x42
    SA PD: 40x15/45x12/50x11
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Day 58: 10/12/16

Back Squat: 135x5/185x5/205x3/225x3/245x2/265x1/225x3/225x2x2/225x1
    Close Leg Press: 135x10/225x10/275x5/315x5
    Wide Leg Press: 135x10/225x10/275x5/315x5
    Calf Press: 135x20x2/225x20x2/275x20x2/315x20x2
    Pullups: 11/6/7/5/5
    Dips: 12/10/10/8/7

Day 59: 10/13/16

Bench Press: 95x5/135x5/145x5/155x5/165x3/185x1x2/165x2x2/165x1
    Shoulder Row: 45x10/80x5/90x5/115x5/125x5/135x5
    Weighted Ab Crunch: 100x30/120x30/140x20
    DB Incline Press: 50x12/55x8/65x4x2/65x3x2
    Stiff Arm Pulldown: 40x15/45x15/50x12/55x8/60x7
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Final update to this thread: the bulk is over. Went waaay too fast and picked up far more bodyfat than I am okay with. Yes, keto foods will make you fat, contrary to what some of the weirdo zealots will tell you. Hah.

Anyway, I'm not going to start a new thread for the current phase, for three reasons.

1: I'm running RFL, and haven't decided if it will be for 12 days for cat 1, or six weeks for cat 2, as I am somewhat close to the line for the categories. If it ends up being 1, it wouldn't be worth starting a thread.
    2: Given that I am only able to lift 2-3 times per week while eating like this, there isn't much to track here.
    3: While RFL is VLC, it's also VLF, and considering the caloric outlay for it, this is probably not the appropriate place to keep a log for it.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Final update to this thread: the bulk is over. Went waaay too fast and picked up far more bodyfat than I am okay with. Yes, keto foods will make you fat, contrary to what some of the weirdo zealots will tell you. Hah.

Anyway, I'm not going to start a new thread for the current phase, for three reasons.

1: I'm running RFL, and haven't decided if it will be for 12 days for cat 1, or six weeks for cat 2, as I am somewhat close to the line for the categories. If it ends up being 1, it wouldn't be worth starting a thread.
    2: Given that I am only able to lift 2-3 times per week while eating like this, there isn't much to track here.
    3: While RFL is VLC, it's also VLF, and considering the caloric outlay for it, this is probably not the appropriate place to keep a log for it.

RFL = Rapid Fat Loss? The one by Lyle McDonald?

Good luck with everything! It was nice to read about your progress!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

RFL = Rapid Fat Loss? The one by Lyle McDonald?

Good luck with everything! It was nice to read about your progress!

Yeah, that's the one. On day five now, and other than being a bit tired and irritable as *kitten* while at work, it's going well.