LCHF and weight lifting/strength training?

Options
Shadowmf023
Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
So, I made a thread saying I'm going to be doing an hour aerobics at the gym 5 days a week. After a month or two, I figure I'll start weight lifting on the machines (heavy weight, few reps).

I'm wondering how I should change things up nutrition wise to accommodate this exercise?

Currently I'm set to 10%c, 25%p, and 65%f. Although, sometimes I net much fewer carbs (<5%), on those days almost all carbs I do get is from fibre. Protein wise it's about 75g a day.

Also, sodium. I take 3000-3400mg a day (in the form of pink himalayan salt), and I take 535g magnesium every second night.

Any advice on any adjustments needed?

Replies

• SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    Oh yeah, extra info. Goals --

At first I'd like to lose about 14-20lb. After that, I'd probably be wanting to do either a body recomp or maybe cut and bulk. So @Gallowmere1984 , maybe you can chime in too :smiley:
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    I mean, she'd know better than I...
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    Lol all good,
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    For the start, the macros you have listed will do just fine. If you decide to stick with lifting and need to run an eventual bulk phase (even if it's lean), your calories will be much higher, and you'll likely have to shift your macros to more like 5%c, 20%p, 75% fat. If you have a premium MFP account, it's a bit easier, because you can just set your protein and carb macros as hard numbers, and not have to worry about juggling the percentages as your caloric demands increase.

This all assumes that you want to maintain LCHF/Keto, which will likely be determined after about two years of weight progression. If you're just looking to get yourself decently strong, there's no reason to ever abandon it. However, if you end up looking to compete (believe me, it can happen at any time, my ex-wife went from wanting to lose fat, to competing in powerlifting meets within 8 months), you'll start needing to look into some different tweaks. Granted, stuff like meal timing, refeeds, etc. really don't become much of a concern until you're about five years in. Worrying about it before then is just wasted effort.

All a new strength trainee really needs to worry about is eating well enough to fuel their efforts, learning motions, and getting a good base of strength going. Much of the latter will come in the form of neuromuscular adaptation anyway, less so from actual muscle accumulation. You already have a lot more muscle than you realize. Just gotta make your brain realize how to use it.

You may see a slight increase in your sodium needs, as you put forth more physical exertion, but you'll need to gauge that one on how you feel.

The only other suggestion I would make, is only stick to machines until you are a little more comfortable with your movements, or my personal preference is to forgo them altogether at first, in favor of bodyweight work. They can be fine for accessory work/burndowns/etc., but barbell and bodyweight work force you to learn to balance, while machines forever support the weight for you, except in the direction it's designed to go.
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    Not interested in competing, just looking to become firm and not flabby, and get rid of current flab. Either way, I'll need to add some muscle AND strength. Lol, my balance really sucks, so I don't know if barbell work is a good idea. (I can't even lift a barbell yet, I can barely do 1 regular push up)

I used to work the weight machines months ago. And progressed pretty nicely (I got up to doing 7 regular push ups! Lol). But I've gotten weak again. Rage quit and just walking instead of other exercise does that...Lol
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Yeah, if it's that bad, starting with machines may be your best bet to get the work in. However, remember, your balance sucks, because your brain can't use your stabilizers, which I assure you, are there, because you'd look like Boneless Chicken otherwise when you try to walk. Adding in some bodyweight work as soon as you are strong enough to do so will help this.

To give you a personal example: I have been completely detrained for years. It really hit me a couple of weeks ago, when I couldn't even stand on one foot to put a sock on, without tipping over. Within a week of being back in the gym (barbell and bodyweight work) though, nearly all of my balance has returned, and now it's just a matter of progressing back up.
  • Zenwenner
    Zenwenner Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Your macros are the same as mine, and I lift 4-5 times a week. If I'm hungry, I eat a bit extra, but otherwise I don't make adjustments for that.

I would recommend bodybuilding.com. Its free, and its not just a bunch of big muscly people showing off - you can set up your own bodyspace there which is private unless you change it, and it will guide you through a series of questions to help you find your own fitness program that fits you. The programs are designed by professional trainers and all free - it is a great resource. If you don't know how to do an exercise, there are multiple videos to show you all the right positioning, etc. I don't record exercise here, I track it there, and every week I get an email from bodyspace that analyzes the workouts I've done, offers advice and encouragement, and suggests articles that might interest me. I think its a really useful tool!
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    because you'd look like Boneless Chicken otherwise when you try to walk.

:joy: I feel so old now that I remember the days of Cow and Chicken and Powerpuff Girls :joy:

• Gallowmere1984
    Options

:joy: I feel so old now that I remember the days of Cow and Chicken and Powerpuff Girls :joy:

You calling me old? :D Apparently those cartoons are seeing a pretty big comeback now. I haven't watched TV in years though, so I can't verify.
  • Shadowmf023
    Options

You calling me old? :D Apparently those cartoons are seeing a pretty big comeback now. I haven't watched TV in years though, so I can't verify.

Those cartoons made my childhood great. I hate all the new stuff.

And no, not directly.

I'm 23 FYI. :joy:
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    *sits back and watches people do all the explaining for her even though she was summoned* Thanks @SuperCarLori
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Those cartoons made my childhood great. I hate all the new stuff.

And no, not directly.

I'm 23 FYI. :joy:

Well, I'm 31, so I guess that would make me a hair old in comparison. Speaking of hair, yeah, my hairline says the same thing.

Also, read this as a good primer. http://www.lift-run-bang.com/2015/11/beginner-lessons-early-mistakes-to-avoid.html

One of my favorite quotes from it: "Think of it as good muscle parenting. Neglecting certain muscles is like leaving your toddler alone all day to figure out how to cook because they are hungry. It just doesn't make a lot of sense."
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    *sits back and watches people do all the explaining for her even though she was summoned* Thanks @SuperCarLori

Lol I'd like your input too though, if you have anything to add?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Ahhh it deleted my long post!

Here it is again:

I remember in your other thread that you were going to ask a trainer to design a routine for you. Express your goals so they don't throw any random routine at you.

Form over weight, especially because you don't want to get injured.

The weight room can be intimidating but just focus on yourself and after a few trips, you will walk in and feel more confident. You have every right to be there, just as much as the dude doing dumbbell presses with fifty pound weights.

Bodybuilding.com is a great resource as mentioned up thread. I'm going to throw my favourite program into the ring: Stronglifts 5x5. It is a beginner strength training program that takes you through five compound lifts which utilize multiple muscle groups rather than focusing on one part. It has an easy to follow app that allows you to track progress and includes how to videos. They start you off with the 45 lb barbell but you can change the weight to something lower to start, which is great if your gym has fixed weight barbells that start at like ten or twenty pounds.

As for nutrition, I think the others covered it very well so I will leave it at that. I'm the one who lifts and then eats bacon and eggs afterwards so...
  • SuperCarLori
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hahahahaha! <3
    You're welcome.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Ahhh it deleted my long post!

Here it is again:

I remember in your other thread that you were going to ask a trainer to design a routine for you. Express your goals so they don't throw any random routine at you.

Form over weight, especially because you don't want to get injured.

The weight room can be intimidating but just focus on yourself and after a few trips, you will walk in and feel more confident. You have every right to be there, just as much as the dude doing dumbbell presses with fifty pound weights.

Bodybuilding.com is a great resource as mentioned up thread. I'm going to throw my favourite program into the ring: Stronglifts 5x5. It is a beginner strength training program that takes you through five compound lifts which utilize multiple muscle groups rather than focusing on one part. It has an easy to follow app that allows you to track progress and includes how to videos. They start you off with the 45 lb barbell but you can change the weight to something lower to start, which is great if your gym has fixed weight barbells that start at like ten or twenty pounds.

As for nutrition, I think the others covered it very well so I will leave it at that. I'm the one who lifts and then eats bacon and eggs afterwards so...

I'd do this too, if my stomach weren't so damned angry at me about the whole thing. Unfortunately, I have to keep my post-lift consumption to mostly liquid.
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    UPDATE

Yeah, so after the first aerobics class with a bunch of old ladies (45-65 aged) I almost died. My asthma DID NOT appreciate all the hopping skipping jumping and whatnot.

Tomorrow I'm starting a premade gym strength program, just so my trainer can actually see where I am strength-wise, and if I'm halfway sleeping through it he'll design a new one for me. Old plan goes out the window - new plan : lift weights. Lol
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Sounds like a better plan to me. Keep one thing in mind though: weights will put a little less stress on your respiratory system than cardio work, BUT if you start shortening rest times or supersetting (as I often do) you may find yourself having issues breathing again. Just means you need a bit more time between sets, or to dial your reps back a bit. You can compensate for the rep reduction via increased resistance if need be.

For reference, when I am running, even HIIT, the highest HR spike I see is about 180, and that only lasts for about 30 seconds. When squatting and deadlifting I stay in the 150-165 range for almost all of it, including rest periods (though my rests are almost always less than a minute, unless I am 1RM testing).
  • Shadowmf023
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Sounds like a better plan to me. Keep one thing in mind though: weights will put a little less stress on your respiratory system than cardio work, BUT if you start shortening rest times or supersetting (as I often do) you may find yourself having issues breathing again. Just means you need a bit more time between sets, or to dial your reps back a bit. You can compensate for the rep reduction via increased resistance if need be.

For reference, when I am running, even HIIT, the highest HR spike I see is about 180, and that only lasts for about 30 seconds. When squatting and deadlifting I stay in the 150-165 range for almost all of it, including rest periods (though my rests are almost always less than a minute, unless I am 1RM testing).

The last program I had was heavy enough that I only had 10-12 reps with 30 seconds rest inbetween sets. I think I might ask for something similar this time around too.