Ketosis Question

Options
DameMcMame
DameMcMame Posts: 18 Member
I've been have a rough few days at home, not having time for meal prep. Yesterday, my carb count was around 70. And it was NOT healthy carbs. Some were (salad, veggies), some weren't (handful of chips). Did I knock myself out of ketosis? I didn't show any weight gain this morning. It was the same as yesterday. Not sure if it might show up later. (Please don't pick on me for the chips - I made a mistake.) Thanks for any tips!

Replies

• KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Girl, everyone makes mistakes...Its a lifestyle, jump back on track and you will be back in ketosis within 3 days. From what I know (thats not much.lol) Ketosis usually kicks in after 20g carbs or less...I do 20g total carbs. How are measuring your ketones if I may ask? Im sure someone else will chime in with some better advice.But, dont let this set you back...keep on chuggin
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this for?

If you are fat-adapted, you may be able to bounce back from something better than someone who has only been doing this for a week.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10434312/fat-adapted-vs-ketosis#latest

You can be in ketosis, have a high amount of carbs, and still be in ketosis because your body may burn glucose at a faster rate. This is true especially if you are very active, and can still produce ketones at a higher carb limit.

If you are fat-adapted, the occasional dip may result in some water weight gain, but you can usually dial yourself back better than someone brand new.
  • DameMcMame
    Options
    Thanks KetoLady. I measure with ketosticks. I know they're not the most reliable, but they're cheap. :)
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    Maybe go for a walk or do some activity to help your body use up the extra glucose if you are concerned?
  • DameMcMame
    Options
    Well, I've been struggling to stay with this WOE for a nearly a year. I'll do it for 3 to 5 weeks, then fall of the wagon for a month or two. I've been back on since 8/5. Determined to stick to it this time. Now I'm wondering how badly I've messed up my metabolism.... I have lost a total of 26 pounds over this time, but I still have a LONG way to go. so I don't really know for sure if I'm fat adapted.
  • DameMcMame
    Options
    Maybe you could tell me based on my history?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    I am really in no place to say. Unfortunately, people have individual reactions.

But I will say this: do not dwell on it. Move on. Your next chance to get back on track is your next meal. Have a nice high fat meal to combat any cravings and perhaps come up with a plan to get back on your right path.
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    @dame...I use them too...no worries!
  • DameMcMame
    Options
    Thanks to both of you!
  • DameMcMame
    Options
    I've never heard of Whisps! I'll check those our.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    http://cellowhisps.com/

Here is the ones I eat!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I second what @Sunny_Bunny_ said!

Find some things that are plan friendly to keep around for the times you reach for the chips. Pepperoni is awesome for this! Put a layer of them on a plate and microwave for one minute, then allow to cool. These are better than chips imo! Make a dip as mentioned above, and you've got "chips and dip".

We all have to choose what we eat next. Every time it's LCHF foods we choose, the closer we are to the success we all strive for!

Hang in there! And congratulations on your loss so far!