Group newcomer - seeking advice

Options
ErikElgerot
ErikElgerot Posts: 65 Member
Hi,

So, I just posted in the newbie thread, but figured I would start this thread as well to get some advice and try to get myself sorted.

Stats - I'm 190cm/6'3", 36yo, male, sedentary, and currently weigh in at 158.5kg (349.4lbs) or so, down from 188.8kg (416.2lbs) in early March when I first registered to MFP. I have a history of slow metabolism and thyroid issues (these days medicated), as well as a history of poor habits health-wise, and as such also life-long issues with obesity.

Currently, my calculated BMR is 2948 and my TDEE is 3537. I'm still looking to lose a lot of weight - my end goal is getting to or at least approaching 90kg/200lbs, with the last dozen kg or so heavily dependant on what feels healthy etc - health is by far more important than numbers.

Now, since tracking my calories I've noticed, especially lately, that I go WAY below my calculated BMR - at the moment I tend to gain weight if I go above 1500 calories, which has started to become a worry, not just when it comes to energy levels but also for my prospects of actually reach a healthy weight - if I need to hit 1200-1500 calories at this weight to lose, what am I going to need once I actually get closer to my goal?

So, finding this group is something I found interesting - if I can manage to reset, even partially, my metabolism that should not only be healthy, but also make my goals far more attainable in the long term.

Any advice, especially from anyone who's been in a situation close to mine?

Replies

• MarissaTriesAgain
    MarissaTriesAgain Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Glad to see you posting in here Erik! I'm going to subscribe to this thread so I can see what experienced members of the community have to say. For me, I'm willing to face a temporary gain if it means I will have better long term success in my weight loss. I still have about 120 lbs to lose, so I'm close to the same situation as you!
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I will let our more knowledgeable people comment, but what calorie level have you been eating? And what kinds of food- have you been tracking protein?

Part of the reset is slowly upping calories (I used to maintain at 1400, now I can maintain at 2400. I am a short female). Part of the reset is fueling our bodies with protein (aim for 30%) and quality foods. Choose 1 thing to focus on at a time so it will be a habit and not overwhelm you.

Welcome.
  • Zoe678
    Zoe678 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am going to follow this thread as well, because I am also getting started this week and am very curious :)
  • scaryann1
    scaryann1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Welcome Erik!

When I started here a year ago I was averaging between 500 and 800 calories a day and weighed 305 pounds. I talked my doctor into sending me to a nutritionist/dietitian, even though she didn't believe me that I was eating what I was, she was certain that I was eating three times that or more.

Imagine my surprise when the nutritionist/dietitian told me to immediately increase my calories to 1200 a day. I jumped to that level kicking and screaming, I just knew that if I ate that much I was going to gain so much weight. I was amazed when I dropped ten pounds in the first week! I lost another ten pounds in the month that followed. But then I stopped losing. That was when I found this group. I started reading, and reading, and reading some more.

It was making sense to me. So I started slowly upping my calories. I am currently at 2100 to 2300 calories a day and I fluctuate between 280 and 289 pounds. I got to this level kicking, screaming, and crying! On the weeks that I eat less, my weight creeps up. The weeks that I eat more, I weigh less. It's crazy.

I have a genetic disorder that doesn't allow me to do a lot of exercising or heavy lifting. Everyday simple tasks have me subluxing joints. I also have kidney function problems so I can't eat much protein, but I can tell you that just by eating more and lifting my small 4 pound weights and walking with my forearm crutches has made an amazing difference in my life. I can't believe the energy I have most days now. You can read more about my struggles in my thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348459/am-i-the-only-one-that-finds-it-difficult-to-eat-more#latest

You are welcome to add me as a friend if you wish.
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Erik, welcome! At this point your body is just trying hard to hold onto every single ounce of it. It's a copying mechanism to assure survival since you have been eating bellow half of what you actually need to maintain your weight at you activity level. At first you will see some weight gain, but that will mostly be water weight and weight adjustment/fluctuation. Eventually your body will recognize the new caloric intake levels as TDEE and then you can lose again and eat at that level for life to maintain. Toddlers need more than 1200 calories daily, no grown up person, unless in a coma and severely underweight will have that as a BMR.

Go to our announcements area and check our "Welcome to EM2WL? Start here!" Thread http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10430416/welcome-to-em2wl-start-here#latest
    You will find the most important and informative links to EM2WL articles on this process. Feel free to send us your questions.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • ErikElgerot
    Options
    saranharm wrote: »
    I will let our more knowledgeable people comment, but what calorie level have you been eating? And what kinds of food- have you been tracking protein?

Part of the reset is slowly upping calories (I used to maintain at 1400, now I can maintain at 2400. I am a short female). Part of the reset is fueling our bodies with protein (aim for 30%) and quality foods. Choose 1 thing to focus on at a time so it will be a habit and not overwhelm you.

Welcome.

Thank you for the welcome. =)

For calorie levels, I just checked my MFP history (since I've been very strict with myself about logging), and I've been around 1500, with July being around 1200. Occasionally I've strayed up to about 1700-1800, but that's a rarity.
    Protein has been lower than the 30% - generally around the 20-25 mark (closer to 25), and almost all quality foods (there has been the occasional piece of junk food, but that's exception rather than rule).

And thanks to everyone else as well for the welcome - I'm going to check out the start here thread again, certainly. At this point it seems like I should try to get a reset done, and get back into healthy eating habits.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    Yeah, very low. 1200 is low for me and I am a foot shorter.

It will Be confusing at first and, even with all the information you may still bumble through it. That's what I did but it all worked out. Experience brings wisdom. Nothing is irreversible.

If you add in some weight lifting during the reset you'll use some of those extra calories to build muscle. And muscle much faster and easier than for us gals. We will all be so jealous of you. :)
  • ErikElgerot
    Options
    I've definitely been thinking about getting started with strength/weight training, especially if I am going to do a metabolic reset - getting some muscle mass started might make me feel more "productive" during the period, too.

Any tips/suggestions for starting out? Been years since I went to the gym regularly, so how much/often would be overdoing it at this point?
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    I started with strong lifts 5x5. Its a very simple program. Only 5 lifts to learn/perfect. There is an app if you have a smart phone. If you do this, try to find some videos to see form. I watched a mark ripptoe DVD.

Or, em2wl has some starting programs on their website. They suggest 3 whole body weight days a week. Their workouts have linked YouTube videos so you can see how the move is performed (at least the ones I do have).

If you want to work out at home, em2wl ones will work, but a lot of the people have done Cathe DVDs.

You'll probably just have to see what you are most comfortable with.

When you first start, you really could just do body weight stuff to learn the moves. As you progress, just slowly add on weight (this is called progressive training) as you gain strength. This also helps prevent injuries.
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    @saranharm Gave you excellent ideas to begin lifting! And yes, adding some strength training is the best thing you can do during a reset. Plus you will benefit of the beginner gains effect (your body develops much faster during the first year of lifting), making it a double wham!

Explore EM2WL free workouts and goal oriented plans http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10430096/em2wl-workouts-get-results-here#latest. Also New Rules of Lifting and Strong, from Alvin Cosgrove, are excellent workout books.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Strength Training does amazing things for your mind, body and soul! The feeling of being able to add more weight from week to week is one of the best NSV's ever! You will love this group, we are very supportive of one another!
  • jvezzsb01
    jvezzsb01 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in and echo what other more experienced posters have said: lift! I never thought I would enjoy it, and after each workout I have done some major sweating and it feels great to lift and get stronger. You keep tracking your progress and along with muscle changes you will see how much more weight you can lift compared to when you just started out. It's a game changer. I like that it gives me something other than the scale to focus on as well. A new PR can help you stay on track of the scale didn't move the way you wanted it to move.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group Erik! As the others have said, you are on the right path if you have already realized that living your life on 1200-1500 calories is just not happening! Having a larger body automatically means more calories for it to move at the same rate as someone smaller. It took me a long time to realize that as well. I started off with about 1400 cals when I joined and it took me a long while to get to my TDEE of about 3200, which I have been at for a while now. It can be done, just go slowly up and increase a bit at a time. I ripped the bandaid and increased almost 1200 calories more a day instantly, and sure did gain a lot more back:)

Strength training has been my savior. It has allowed my heavy body to move more, its more flexible than my "smaller" friends, and it allows me to keep up with my kids. As they others have said, there are a ton of great programs out there to get you started Just make sure to watch any videos you can for proper form, or if you go to the gym, ask a trainer to help you with form and technique to get you started.

Let us know how things go for you!

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Hi Erik!
    Just going to jump in and agree with what the others have said.
    Lifting weights whilst increasing your calories slowly is the best way to go.
    Did you use the calculator on our website http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/ to gauge how much you need to work up to?
    I think a reset while doing lifting would be great.
    You can read more info on the metabolism reset here http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabolism-reset-guide/
    Don't know if you are working out from home or at a gym. Strong lifts or New Rules of Lifting are great starting programmes and don't forget all the workouts we have over on the website like this one for example; http://training.eatmore2weighless.com/beginner-strength-training-instant/
    Love how you are already understanding that all of this makes sense and you are open to suggestions and guidance.
    Keep us updated with what you do please!
    Ichel
  • ErikElgerot
    Options
    Hi all!

A little update from me. I started upping on Sunday, but went way too heavy with ripping that bandaid and took in 2600 calories (maintainence goal is 3500), and my body did not react too well giving me a pretty nasty (and sleep-preventing) stomach ache/cramp for all of Monday and early Tueday (at time of writing it seems to have gone away, fingers crossed). Also gained about 1.2kg between Sunday and Monday, but that wasn't unexpected.

Monday I managed to take in about 2300 calories, with my poor friend and fellow MFPer at work getting to endure my whimpering about not wanting to eat anymore as I struggled to try to force my lunch into me. That was also the day I started to introduce some protein supplements into my diet (whey protein powder, and a protein shake I picked up on the way to work) to be able to get closer to my protein macros. Still not quite up there, and my stomach kept bugging me, but this morning I'd dropped 1.9kg again.

Today I keep working on those calories. Lunch has passed, and I've done a little over 1600 calories so far. Still not quite up there on the proteins, but hoping to by the end of the day. Weight training hasn't started yet, but will hopefully do so by the start of next week unless my body continues sassing me - I don't want to deal with stomach cramps while starting out with the weights, after all.
  • ErikElgerot
    Options
    Hi Erik!
    Just going to jump in and agree with what the others have said.
    Lifting weights whilst increasing your calories slowly is the best way to go.
    Did you use the calculator on our website http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/ to gauge how much you need to work up to?
    I think a reset while doing lifting would be great.
    You can read more info on the metabolism reset here http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabolism-reset-guide/
    Don't know if you are working out from home or at a gym. Strong lifts or New Rules of Lifting are great starting programmes and don't forget all the workouts we have over on the website like this one for example; http://training.eatmore2weighless.com/beginner-strength-training-instant/
    Love how you are already understanding that all of this makes sense and you are open to suggestions and guidance.
    Keep us updated with what you do please!
    Ichel

I did use the calculator, yes. =) My TDEE is around 3500 (at sedentary, since I haven't started working out yet), so I still have some room to go when it comes to upping, but I'm taking it at a "fast gradual" pace at the moment. I have read up on the metabolic reset as well, plus checked a few threads here on the forum.

As for working out, I still need to update my gym clothes this week (shoes, mainly), so lifting is likely to wait until the weekend comes around.
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    @ErikElgerot Increasing the calories all at once will do that. Hey, I don't blame you for doing that, after so long depriving yourself, why not (I'd do the same), but then there are side effects. Your body has 't seen that much food in a while and does need time to adjust. The same thing with your mind. Read this on what to expect when increasing calories: http://eatmore2weighless.com/upping-cals-what-to-expect/

Anyway, great job in diving in! Master your calories first, then focus on the protein. There's no need to overwhelm yourself by trying to change it all at once.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • ErikElgerot
    Options
    Checking back in - this is day four of 2500 calories and increased protein intake (aiming at 30%).

This definitely seems to have kickstarted something in my body as I lost another 2kg overnight. I've also noticed myself being warmer than I'm used to, including some light sweating. Is that a normal reaction to this and just my metabolism revving up beyond what it's been doing for years, or should I worry?

Picking up the last training gear today (apart from the fitbit which is on order), and HEMA starts next week.

This all feels really weird, but not at all bad anymore...
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    The feeling warm sensation is a great sign! I used to have night sweats for quite a while, then they stopped. Your body is noticing the change in calories and will respond to it. Most side effects will feel good, some not so much. But it is normal.
    Btw, once you start working out, you will feel hungrier, even eating more. Don't freak out, it's normal, just your body telling you to keep the calories coming.
    Excellent job!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are showing all the signs your body was definitely underfed:) Yes, heat changes are signs of revving metabolism. its why most people who are on diets are always so cold! So it you are feeling warmer then its a good sign for you.
    The gut aches are common with a big increase. I suffered too when I jumped up.. Eventually it evens out and you dont get those anymore.

Think of high calorie, low density foods to help you get more cals in without stuffing yourself.. nuts, seeds, nut butters, oil.. they all add up quickly and dont take up a lot of stomach room.

Doing great!!

Kelly