Diet Coke yay or nay?

Options
freckles2002
freckles2002 Posts: 55 Member
Hi, is it ok to drink Diet Coke whilst following keto? Many thanks in advance. Ps. Love this forum

Replies

• gunnerslove77
    gunnerslove77 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I drink loads of it it. But don't log it. Problem comes when you order it in restaurants and they swap it with full sugar version. It kicked me out of ketosis just a couple of sips so I went home and tested and it was negative
  • freckles2002
    Options
    Ok thanks for the reply. I only drink it at home so that should be fine! I was a bit worried about having to give it up, though I try to limit myself to 2 cans a day.
  • ketold727
    ketold727 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I used to drink it because I misses the cokes.
    I limited myself to 1 a day around lunch. It is no longer a habit so I don't anymore.

There is a lot of information on aspartame and splenda out there and the concensus seems to be that too much may raise insulin even without the sugar content and kick you out of keto for a little while so it makes sense to use caution and moderation.
  • freckles2002
    Options
    Ok thanks, that's interesting. I think I will try and cut it out as I don't want to risk being kicked out of ketosis. It will certainly save me money aswell!
  • freckles2002
    Options
    Thanks for your input
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I gave it up (Diet Crack as I call it) along with all other artificial sweeteners in April. It's been really great for me - I don't think I realized how much it was causing me to crave sweet stuff. As others stated, the "straw that broke the camel's back" for me was reading that they can cause increases in insulin, which, without a corresponding increase in blood sugar, was going to make me hungry/crave sweet stuff. Now I drink flavored selzer water all day long :smile:

If you only have 2 cans of it, you might not have a problem with it like I did. I drank it all. day. long. And I loved the McD's drive through - giant diet crack for only 89 cents!

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I drink them occasionally. I don't log anything I drink because there is no calorie or carb content in them. I don't have issues with artificial sweeteners but some do. I've lost almost 40 lbs still having a diet soda when I want one. And in all honesty some days I drink none for several days then I may have one day when I drink 4. I agree with @Karlottap if it works for you Yay! If not, leave it.
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    ketold727 wrote: »
    Hi,

There is a lot of information on aspartame and splenda out there and the concensus seems to be that too much may raise insulin even without the sugar content and kick you out of keto for a little while so it makes sense to use caution and moderation.

I'd like to see some sources to back up a claim like that. As there is no sugar(carb) content in diet pop it seems impossible.

I probably drink 2 liters of diet pepsi a day and I have no issues with cravings or weight loss(I don't measure ketone levels) so I highly doubt that it has any impact for low carb eaters other than the potential psychological one but for me it is my source of sweetness that tames that craving, not the opposite.
  • CeliaSea
    CeliaSea Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Smoked33 wrote: »
    ketold727 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'd like to see some sources to back up a claim like that. As there is no sugar(carb) content in diet pop it seems impossible.

I probably drink 2 liters of diet pepsi a day and I have no issues with cravings or weight loss(I don't measure ketone levels) so I highly doubt that it has any impact for low carb eaters other than the potential psychological one but for me it is my source of sweetness that tames that craving, not the opposite.

It was all over the news a few years ago. Here are two (of many) links about the research:
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20140917/artificial-sweeteners-blood-sugar#1
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

Of course, there are also studies out there refuting these claims. I personally drink water/club soda 99% of the time, and indulge in a Diet Coke when the occasion calls for it (the movies, burgers out, etc). I don't really notice any cravings myself, but the blood sugar data is pretty compelling, so I'd rather err on the side of caution.
  • freckles2002
    Options
    Thanks so much for everyone's contribution on this topic. I think for the time being I will stick with my 2 cans a day and adjust accordingly if I feel it's having a negative impact on me. Haha to diet crack! If I don't control it I can easily drink 8-10 cans a day!
  • Cyndi146
    Cyndi146 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I drink it with no problems. No sweet cravings either.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I drink "sugar free" stuff more than I am willing to admit. :* It didn't seem to cause any problems for me regarding weightloss.
  • petunia773
    petunia773 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50 pounds on low carb while still enjoying diet pepsi. Everyone is different.
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I wish I could drink diet drinks, but artificial sweeteners give me killer migraines. I just figured out that diet root beer with a little heavy whipping cream tastes like a root beer float, and then I realized I can even have a sip without a headache. I'd say go for it, and if you see your weight loss slow or if you are craving more sweets maybe cut it out at that point.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    5z4z7uflwgr5.jpg

It's OK tasting but not as crisp as the old stuff.

>:) or o:)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    @KenSmith108 they are actually going to offer it both with and without aspartame now after their sales took a hit when switching to sucralose. I stopped buying it when they changed, I like the aspartame aftertaste, its what I like about diet pepsi its just not the same with sucralose.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I say YAY for cherry coke zero lol. I've actually stopped drinking soda for the most part but when i do want one that's what I go for, it's a nice sweet treat.

I feel that AS are probably similar to carbs in general, we were all born being able to properly handle them but then after constant bombardment on our system our bodies stopped being able to work properly and can now only handle in small doses. some people will have higher thresholds than others.

ETA: I mean this for those who do not have sensitivities to AS, I know some people get headaches and such from it. the system overload is meant for those who don't crave sweets when having it.