Low Carb Dining Out

Options
One of the many great things about low carb is that there are so many options when it comes to dining out. I wanted to start a thread for places and tips when eating out. Feel free to add any places that you know of that have low carb options.

Hardee's - only because I'm eating one right now, but they have a Low Carb thick burger. When I was logging I noticed other burgers such as their Monster Thick burger labeled as Low carb so it may be an option for all sandwiches.

Chipotle- I ate here ALOT when I went Paleo last year. Skip the rice and beans(and cheese if Paleo) and just get lettuce, meat, and salsa. Plus, I believe they still do the 3 pointer where if you only get 3 items you pay a lower price. Be advised that extra or half and half meat counts as an extra point and will not qualify as a 3 pointer.

Jimmy Johns- you can make any sandwich and "Unwich" where they sub out the bread for a lettuce wrap.

Panera Bread- even though they got rid of their Secret Menu, they still have salads that are low carb friendly. One of my Paleo favs is the Chicken Cobb with Avocado.

Please add to this post if you know of other places offering low carb/Paleo options.

Replies

• silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Even though it's fast food, my favorite is Arbys. I get the Max roast beef sandwich and just toss the buns. I make my own sugar free BBQ sauce, so I put some of that on the meat. It's damn tasty and there is enough there to satisfy.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »
    Most Thai curries are low carb. (The thickener is coconut cream, rather than corn starch.) Some Indian restaurants use potato starch. It is supposed to be resistant starch, and my system definitely treats it that way.

I love Thai food and lucky for me there is a restaurant next door to my work that specializes in Thai food. I have their Tom Kai Gai soup often :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm not particularly low carb, but rather SLOW carb. But protein and veg is my go to virtually everywhere. And, if possible, a salmon caesar or a chicken caesar (yes anchovies, no croutons).

(adding the NOT fast food perspective)
  • CeliaSea
    CeliaSea Posts: 51 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My go-to is seafood with a veggie side, but I've also had luck with these options:

Fast Food: The grilled chicken at KFC is wonderful. Same skin and seasonings as their fried chicken, just none of the breading. The breasts can sometimes be dry, but if you order legs or thighs you'll be rewarded with a crispy outside and a moist and tender inside. I actually prefer it to the original!

BBQ Joints: You can do really well at most barbecue places. I order grilled chicken or pulled pork (no sauce/no bun) with the lowest carb veggie they offer (usually collard or mustard greens).

Mexican: Order fajitas without the tortillas and sub salad/guacamole for the rice and beans. And, if you're able to find a place that doesn't batter dip their chile rellenos, those can be very low carb (and incredibly delicious).
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Carl's Jr.: most of their burgers protein style...same thing with some of heir chicken burgers / sandwiches.

Denny's: build your own burger, and some of their salads

Marie Calendar's: salad bar (or basically any place with a salad bar like Sizzler)
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm back on the East Coast, hurricanes and all, but I DO miss In-and-Out.

I used to hit the salad bar whenever possible, until my husband was so ill from eating at one that I had to drive home. And feed him various remedies. And listen to him moan all night. In doing our research we found out that certain chains mist their salad bars with some sort of stay-crisp preservative. Not every chain does it and not everyone is sensitive to this mystery crop dusting. But that once was enough for us; too bad.
  • silverfiend
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    Subway will do al a cart meat and veggies in a bowl. Don't ask for a salad - ask for whatever meat/cheese you want "I want the meatballs for a footlong with pepperjack cheese" then they will give you the veggies you ask for as well.

I didnt know that!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,458 Member
    Options
    Subway will do al a cart meat and veggies in a bowl. Don't ask for a salad - ask for whatever meat/cheese you want "I want the meatballs for a footlong with pepperjack cheese" then they will give you the veggies you ask for as well.

I didnt know that!

I do this because I want just enough lettuce to garnish, not a full salad's worth. I do the italian BMT meat 6", shredded monterey-cheddar and throw in one to two chicken breasts depending on how hungry I am. Instead of dressing, I get them to do like the sandwich: mayo, mustard, oil and vinegar, salt and pepper. A little tomato and onion, maybe some banana peppers and all of it chopped up together, it looks a hot mess, but it's tasty.
  • MiamiDawn
    MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I eat out more than I care to admit.
    At fast food chains, it's a burger or chicken, with no bun, no ketchup, no onions.
    At Arbys it's the meats and bacon and I just ditch the bun.

I have to know before I go, so that I don't mess up. I've found that I think I'm being good by ordering a salad or steak, but the chain has added seasonings and such that increase the carbs more than I thought.

Olive Garden - this is for the whole plate as described in the menu
    Chicken Piccata lighter Lunch - 12g carbs, 3g fiber.
    Herb Grilled Salmon Lighter Dinner - 8g carbs, 4g fiber.

Carrabbas - this is for just the item - the sides would be calculated separately
    Chicken Marsala - 3g carbs
    Pollo Rosa Maria - 3 carbs
    Tuscan Grilled chicken - 1 carb
    Salmon Cetrolini- 2 carbs
    Tuscan Grilled Sirloin (6 OZ) & Prosciutto Wrapped Shrimp - 1 carb
    Wood Fired Italian Wings - 3 carbs.

Panera Bread
    1/2 Romaine & Kale Caesar Salad with Chicken - 5 carbs
    1/2 Caesar Salad with Chicken - 6 carbs

Fridays
    Bourbon Barrel Mahi Mahi - 4 carbs
    Rib Eye - 3 carbs -- if you get the Jack Daniels Ribeye it becomes 57 carbs
    NY Strip 10 oz - 4 carbs

Millers Ale House

Steaks are 1 - 3 carbs depending on the cut.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options

Jersey Mike's does something similar - I think they call it a "Sub in a tub." Just their regular subs in a bowl. You choose the toppings just as you would when you order a traditional sub.
  • BrittaniMyChelle
    BrittaniMyChelle Posts: 45 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Carl's Jr.: most of their burgers protein style...same thing with some of heir chicken burgers / sandwiches.
    I wonder if Hardee's will let me do the same? Been craving a bacon 3 way burger
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,458 Member
    Options
    Waffle house was LC friendly today too. Got the steak and eggs, didn't eat the toast, subbed tomato slices for my hashbrowns. Salted everything generously and drank 2.5 mugs of coffee with 4 of those individual half and half creamers. Very nice.
  • silverfiend
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Last night I went to Chilis for dinner and had the steak with a side of shrimp. Their steak normally comes with a potato item, but I always ask to sub it for an extra serving of vegetable.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    I wonder if Hardee's will let me do the same? Been craving a bacon 3 way burger

Hardee does any of their sandwiches "low carb" style. I've gotten hungry after reading this thread! Lol!