Low Carb Dining Out

Options
13»

Replies

• JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If you have a favorite authentic Mexican place (who doesn't?!), get the street tacos. Then go home, strip them of their innards, and insert them into a low carb wrap, giving the carby corn tortillas to a son (pet? Compost heap?). Yum! We have a great place in town with super flavorful street tacos served with Mexican cheese and a red onion/cilantro salsa. So yummy. I was sad to think I had to stop eating there, so we adapted.

(Posted this then saw same advice above, lol)
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Also this kinda applies, but if you need to get a fast meal together quick, a rotisserie chicken, a bag of salad, and an avocado makes short work of it!
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    We eat out A LOT. And I mostly get salmon and something. Caesar, veg, you name it. If not that, then steak and veg, chicken and veg....
    Again, for those who don't know me, I don't really think "low carb", but rather slow carb, and this works for me as a restaurant strategy. It's a GREAT one, actually.

Ditto here. If we're going out, I'll look for something lowish carb rather than super low carb. It's a treat, right? Mostly I'll get protein and vegetables, though.

• 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Smashburger -- it has a Nutrition Customizer web page. http://smashburger.nutrition.gipsee.com/
  • soechsner09
    soechsner09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This might be a Midwest thing but Culver's is great! I just say "no bun" and they always ask if it's an allergy or a preference, but no fuss about it either way. I usually get a double bacon cheeseburger with a side salad :smile: I also like Hardees, Five Guys, and Jimmy Johns as previously mentioned.

Eating out at a regular restaurant is usually much easier as I stick with wings, steak, burgers, salads, etc ... just minus the carbs, and up the fats and non-starchy veggies.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know what happened to @LauraCoth? Going to her profile, it looks to have been removed.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I'm in AUSTRALIA.

My partner and I like to eat out about once a week.

GRILL'D: my new favourite burger place. They have gourmet tasting burgers and also do a "super low carb bun" which is a flat bread bun of sorts, made from almond flour. And they are cheaper than McDonalds CYT.

MCDONALDS: They do a Create Your Taste menu where you can choose your fillings including haloumi and brie and 2 kinds of bacon and a lettuce wrap is an option in the bun menu. Go McDonalds :)

ANY PUB: You can always get a steak with steamed greens or salad.

MONGOLIAN BBQ: This is one of my favourites. You grab a bowl, put in it some shaved meat (pork, lamb, beef, chicken, squid) then some veg (anything you can imagine) then ladle on some oil, garlic water, chili oil, vinegar, soy sauce etc - then hand it to the guy who cooks it on the great big round BBQ plate and scoops it back into the bowl. You can return as many times as you like and you know exactly what you're eating.

SUBWAY: Salad bowl, I usually get chicken with salad, cheese and mayo.

CAFE DE'VILLI'S: Villi's is a bakery chain, making the most awesome pies and pasties and such. But they also have two cafe's here in Adelaide and they do a multitude of breakfast meals (all day). Kransky sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, mushrooms etc. We would go here for brunch once a month.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hahaha, maybe the good McD's are only in Oz and Canada??? We have the Create Your Taste menu kiosk too (I like the mushrooms, and avocado, and swiss cheese, and am tempted by the sun dried tomato pesto). From what I understand the US doesn't have this yet, maybe we are the lucky test markets, mwahahahaha!

I go for the Mongolian BBQ in a larger town we hit a few times a year, about 1.5 hrs from us. Good for GF options as they actually clean an area of the grill for me and use separate utensils.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    This might be a Midwest thing but Culver's is great! I just say "no bun" and they always ask if it's an allergy or a preference, but no fuss about it either way. I usually get a double bacon cheeseburger with a side salad :smile: I also like Hardees, Five Guys, and Jimmy Johns as previously mentioned.

Eating out at a regular restaurant is usually much easier as I stick with wings, steak, burgers, salads, etc ... just minus the carbs, and up the fats and non-starchy veggies.

I wish Culver's offered cheese curds without being breaded and fried. I love cheese curds!
  • allie2girlz
    allie2girlz Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My favorite restaurant has several options, saute'd spinach, steak medallions and shrimp, grilled salmon, also has a grilled chicken sandwich with bacon and cream cheese. I just order it without the bread and substitute spinach for the fries
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options

I wish Culver's offered cheese curds without being breaded and fried. I love cheese curds![/quote]

Me too....I've been thinking about trying some myself at home with possibly a little egg wash and almond flour just to keep them from melting all over the place.