Just BLEW UP the low carb life

Options
OMG!!! I just completely ruined my low carb commitment with Pizza and Beer!!!!
I know I will be paying for it for the next couple days but.......DAMN!!!!
IT WAS SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOD!!!!!!!
OopS!!

Replies

• silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »
    It happens. At least it was good and you enjoyed it!

Now, what's important is what you choose to eat for your next meal.

::flowerforyou::

+1000!

It's only one meal. Plan some solid keto meals for the coming days. Get back on the wagon and back to losing fat!

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I do this every Friday, just minus the beer part. vOv Back to smelling like acetone by Saturday afternoon.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    OopS!!

Pizza & Beer ... ahhh.... :'(

Let me start again. Pizza & Beer..... is not an automatic cheat.... :#

There are few things that get my heart pounding like those 3 *kitten* words. <3:o Not that I obsess over Pizza & Beer (I do....), but I have been giving this some intellectual attention over the last few weeks.

Here's my thinking for that once-in-a-blue-moon evening. Hasn't been tested in actual practice - possibly for my First Ketoversary this December, if I am really *kitten* good and hit goal weight and labs. o:)
    How to not drink too much?
    1. Simulate a Michelada - dump some hot sauce in your 2nd beer, so as to slow yourself down (enjoy the 1st one!);
    2. Alternate each glass of beer with a glass of water;
    3. If you need a jolt, get a shot of tequila or whiskey on the side and drink it before the beer and water arrive.

PLAN I - All the day's carbs - 54 net carbs :*

=================================Cal--NetC--Prot--Fat
    Founder's Brewing Co. - All Day Ipa, 36 oz.===432--36----0----0
    Mozzarella Shredded Cheese, 1 cup========320---4---32---20
    Patron - Tequila, 2 oz===================140---0----0----0
    Classico - Traditional Pizza Sauce, 0.5 cup===80----12----2----2
    ============================TOTAL=972---54---34---22

PLAN II - Might fit macros - 26 net carbs B)

Founder's Brewing Co. - All Day Ipa, 16 oz.===192--16----0----0
    Classico - Traditional Pizza Sauce, 0.25 cup===40----6----1----1
    ============================TOTAL=692---26--33---21

One favor, @ConstantStruggle? Don't tell us if you don't wind up paying over next few days.....

• neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

There are few things that get my heart pounding like those 3 *kitten* words. <3:o Not that I obsess over Pizza & Beer (I do....), but I have been giving this some intellectual attention over the last few weeks.

Here's my thinking for that once-in-a-blue-moon evening. Hasn't been tested in actual practice - possibly for my First Ketoversary this December, if I am really *kitten* good and hit goal weight and labs. o:)

Drinking too much is not necessarily an issue (unless you are on insulin - when it can cause hypos - or you want to drink beer or wine (rather than liquor) and your goal is specifically to remain in ketosis.

I use alcohol (typically a glass of moscato or riesling) when my meal pushes the carb limit. I can typically eat about 30 carbs more in a meal (total of 50 net) when I drink 5 oz of wine - since alcohol turns off the background liver release of glucose.

Now - I don't have a set daily carb limit. My carb limits are for the sole purpose of keeping my blood glucose within normal ranges at all times. Without alcohol that is about 20 grams in a 2 hour period; with alcohol I can do about 50 (including whatever carbs are in the alcohol). So for me (theoretically - since I've only tried it with wine), I could come very close to handling even the higher carb content you outlined.

If your goal is expressly to remain in ketogenesis (rather than to reap the diabetic benefits that eating low carb generates), your math will differ.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I had a big, high carb evening myself, but it was home made cheesecake and it was divine. Drinking lots of water tonight and hitting the gym tomorrow morning to help burn off the extra glycogen. I'm treating it like a refeed before I start my strength program, lol.

*edited for silly spell check.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    OopS!!

Nah, not ruined. It was just a speed bump, albeit a tasty one! You can pick up where you left off keto-wise and get back up to speed in no time. :smile:
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    OopS!!

1. Simulate a Michelada - dump some hot sauce in your 2nd beer, so as to slow yourself down (enjoy the 1st one!);
    2. Alternate each glass of beer with a glass of water;
    3. If you need a jolt, get a shot of tequila or whiskey on the side and drink it before the beer and water arrive.

PLAN I - All the day's carbs - 54 net carbs :*

Founder's Brewing Co. - All Day Ipa, 36 oz.===432--36----0----0
    Classico - Traditional Pizza Sauce, 0.5 cup===80----12----2----2
    ============================TOTAL=972---54---34---22

PLAN II - Might fit macros - 26 net carbs B)

Founder's Brewing Co. - All Day Ipa, 16 oz.===192--16----0----0
    Classico - Traditional Pizza Sauce, 0.25 cup===40----6----1----1
    ============================TOTAL=692---26--33---21

One favor, @ConstantStruggle? Don't tell us if you don't wind up paying over next few days.....

6phjbzi4xzxc.jpg
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Also:6vk3rx9nlby5.jpg
  • nicsflyingcircus
    edited September 2016
    Options
    ib5cionhzxl7.jpg
    And:
  • nicsflyingcircus
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Other craft/quality beers I enjoyed on my summer of beer:

Cigar City Brewing - Jai Alai IPA
    Appalachian Mountain Brewing - Long Leaf IPA
    21st Ammendment Brewing - Brew Free or Die IPA
    Bell's Brewery Inc - Two Hearted Ale (one of my less favorite)
    Fairhope Brewing Company - some sour ale I can't remember the name of, it was a small batch, limited distribution, tap only.
    Green Man Brewery - Wayfarer IPA
    Rocket Republic Brewing Company - Grapefruit Mach 1 IPA
    Salty Nut Brewery - Hop Naughty IPA
    Yellowhammer Brewing - Hop Revival Imperial IPA

There were others, especially as we have a local place with 30 beer on tap, mostly local (and others in the state and region) with sampling and flights.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »
    Drinking too much is not necessarily an issue (unless you are on insulin - when it can cause hypos - or you want to drink beer or wine (rather than liquor) and your goal is specifically to remain in ketosis.

I use alcohol (typically a glass of moscato or riesling) when my meal pushes the carb limit. I can typically eat about 30 carbs more in a meal (total of 50 net) when I drink 5 oz of wine - since alcohol turns off the background liver release of glucose.

Now - I don't have a set daily carb limit. My carb limits are for the sole purpose of keeping my blood glucose within normal ranges at all times. Without alcohol that is about 20 grams in a 2 hour period; with alcohol I can do about 50 (including whatever carbs are in the alcohol). So for me (theoretically - since I've only tried it with wine), I could come very close to handling even the higher carb content you outlined.

If your goal is expressly to remain in ketogenesis (rather than to reap the diabetic benefits that eating low carb generates), your math will differ.

Hmmm. I think I must be missing something. I'm with you on the straight alcohol part. But when you start adding carbs, it seems counter-intuitive.....

According to your approach, shouldn't I be able to drink a high-carb sweet stout, along with a shot of whiskey and maybe even some candy, and keep my BG within normal ranges - not only while my liver's distracted by the alcohol, but also afterwards?

Focusing solely on the diabetes angle, every gram of carb has to be metabolized eventually (well, not counting fiber, etc.), and I would think that regardless of the alcohol, my pancreas would produce glucagon in response to the carbs, which due to my insulin resistance / delayed insulin release (since I'm T2D), would cause my BG to rise once my liver's done drinking. ??

Maybe your happy results are due to your being less insulin resistant/carb intolerant than I am (and already at your goal weight - congrats again!).

• LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I had a carb blow-out tonight too -- we had company, so I made low carb everything except for the flourless chocolate mousse cake. I was going to resist, but then...I've been good for a long time, and my chocolate mousse cake is really freaking good.

Tomorrow is back to the plan, though.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @nicsflyingcircus, is the All-Day IPA glass empty just because while better than Mick Ultra, it still sucks compared to really good swill?

What I'd really like is one (case) of these..... 11%

bba-mayan.jpg

• neohdiver
    Options

Hmmm. I think I must be missing something. I'm with you on the straight alcohol part. But when you start adding carbs, it seems counter-intuitive.....

According to your approach, shouldn't I be able to drink a high-carb sweet stout, along with a shot of whiskey and maybe even some candy, and keep my BG within normal ranges - not only while my liver's distracted by the alcohol, but also afterwards?

Focusing solely on the diabetes angle, every gram of carb has to be metabolized eventually (well, not counting fiber, etc.), and I would think that regardless of the alcohol, my pancreas would produce glucagon in response to the carbs, which due to my insulin resistance / delayed insulin release (since I'm T2D), would cause my BG to rise once my liver's done drinking. ??

Maybe your happy results are due to your being less insulin resistant/carb intolerant than I am (and already at your goal weight - congrats again!).

There are two sources for glucose in your blood: carbohydrates (and to a lesser degree protein), and your liver.

Your liver constantly dumps glucose into your bloodstream (to keep you from going hypo), unless it gets a signal to shut off the background glucose because there is incoming food. Most (all?) T2 diabetics are missing the 1st phase insulin response to food - a small spike that signals the liver to stop releasing glucose - so it just keeps pumping it out, even though it isn't needed.

So when you don't have a 1st phase insulin response, and are insulin resistant, your body really struggles not only to handle the glucose from food - but also the glucose your liver is still pumping out since it didn't get the shut-off message.

So since my 1st phase insulin response is broken, I occasionally use alcohol as an artificial replacement for that 1st phase - to tell the liver to shut down (taking advantage of the liver's one-track mind). So the carbs I eat (or drink) are still moved out of the bloodstream at whatever rate I process them (slower than someone with a "normal" metabolism) - but because I've shut off the background dump from my liver, my body ONLY has to process what I eat (not the extra coming from my liver). If my insulin can handle liver dump + 20 carbs, and I shut off the liver dump, the response can then handle additional carbs equivalent to the liver dump until the liver returns its attention to keeping me from going hypo and starts dumping again.

Think of it as rain (the carbs you eat) falling into a dry river (no liver-added glucose) v. rain falling into a river that is already close to overflowing its bank (the background glucose your liver pumps out). The first phase response (or alcohol, or metformin) temporarily dams up the river and makes it dry - so you can handle a larger rain (the carbs you eat).

As to whether this relates to basic liver function v. weight - my insulin resistance has gone from mildly diabetic to pre-diabetic, but not because of weight loss. That change was the result of 6 weeks on the blood sugar diet (BSD). The response was near instantaneous (~ day 2 or 3 on the diet), whereas there was no change in carb tolerance in correlation to the 48 lb weight loss that predated the BSD. The immediate drop in average BG levels happened again Monday when I restarted the BSD after a 2-3 month break at maintenance calories. I can - after the first 6-weeks on the BSD - consume a few more carbs (~23-25 grams) without going above 140. That change in the amount of carbs I can consume occurred very near the start of the BSD and persisted through the 2-3-month weight maintenance period (even though the lower average BG did not persist - i.e. no spikes above 140, but fasting BG and average pre-meal BG were higher during the maintenance period). But that additional tolerance is nowhere near the 150% more I can consume (temporarily) just by drinking a 5 oz glass of wine - which began as early as Thanskgiving when I accidentally discovered it (at ~180 lbs).

As an example - I ate an ear of corn tonight + 5 oz of wine (total of 40 carbs). My BG at 1 hour was 117, 94 at 2 hours, and 78 at 3 hours. I've tracked it as long as 5 hours (late November/early December), with the same results. During that same period an 18 carb meal of certain carbs spiked me to between 150 and 180.

So - as to your hypothetical - candy varies quite a bit, so I'll use pizza, the other food in your post. I could have a sweet stout (7.5 carb grams/12 oz) and - almost - 2 slices of thin crust pizza (44 carbs). Without the alcohol, I couldn't quite even have one piece of pizza. The liver only has to be distracted long enough for the insulin to move the glucose from the digested carbs out of of my bloodstream (that takes under 2 hours, as long as I don't spike above 140). Once the food-related glucose is gone (the river is dry again), and the dam opens up to refill the river with the glucose put out by the liver when it restarts, it isn't any fuller than it was before I temporarily dammed it up by having a drink.

Try an experiment yourself - since diabetes is not uniform from person to person. If you don't want to add carbs by testing a stout, test a shot of carbless liquor and see if your BG goes down.

The first few times I didn't eat any additional carbs (other than the wine). It was in the early days of carb counting. I had carefully counted the carbs in the meal and expected the added carbs in the wine to put me at the top of the BG range I was comfortable with. I was dumbfounded when it barely broke 100, since the food alone should have put me around 130. So I tried it again another day, with a sweeter wine - same results. Next I tried wine without food - and my BG fell to the mid-80s (even though it was a very sweet wine). After that, I started careful experimentation with adding carbs - which is how I know that my liver dumps background glucose equivalent to about 30 grams of carbs. All of this testing took place when I weighed ~180 lbs (17 lbs down from my starting weight, and 50 lbs ago from where I am now).
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    So, in layman's terms, are you saying that alcohol distracts your liver to the point that not all the carbs from food get absorbed?
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Try an experiment yourself - since diabetes is not uniform from person to person. If you don't want to add carbs by testing a stout, test a shot of carbless liquor and see if your BG goes down.

In fact, I've done that experiment (and repeated to verify the result....) - if memory serves, at your suggestion. ;) But I haven't done the one with carbs yet....

I must have been under a misimpression in thinking that all glucose goes through the liver on its way to your blood stream and, therefore would be caught by the dam in your example, only to add to the water that's released when the floodgates are opened (and not pushed into the liver or muscles for storage, since a T2D's insulin doesn't work according to script).

Here's one for you - is metformin superfluous, then, during the time your liver is dealing with alcohol? (I think this was @midwesterner85's thinking, but I can't find his post right off......)

BTW, thanks! Nice to have you back.

• RalfLott
    Options
    Folks, I'm going to start an "Alcohol & Carbs" thread, as I'm sure there will be many folks interested who won't stop into this one due the title not matching the content...... (sorry for hijacking!).
  • neohdiver
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    So, in layman's terms, are you saying that alcohol distracts your liver to the point that not all the carbs from food get absorbed?

Not quite. The alcohol doesn't affect converting carbs into glucose (which happens in the mouth and small intestine) - it just temporarily prevents the liver from making the glucose overload worse.

Think of your insulin as a bailing bucket. When you have T2 diabetes, insulin resistance makes your bailing bucket too small to keep up with the glucose in the bloodstream.

But a too-small-bailing bucket is not the only thing that is wrong.

Long before your bailing bucket shrunk, the switch that controls the glucose production factory in your liver broke. That factory is designed to turn on and off. It makes glucose when you need it (between meals and overnight), and doesn't make it when you don't need it (when you're eating). For people with diabetes, the switch is stuck permanently on - so it continues to make glucose, even when you are eating and don't need it.

That means my teeny-tiny bailing bucket has an even harder time keeping up with the glucose my gut is sending out from the carbs I just ate - because my liver didn't get the shut-off notice and is also still pumping out glucose.

All I'm accomplishing is making my body mimic the normal response to food - by shutting off the liver production factory - so my teeny-tiny bailing bucket only has to bail the glucose that comes from food (just like normal people). That means I can eat eat a few more carbs. Not a lot more - my bailing bucket is still too small to handle a normal carb load - but a little more for an occasional treat, since turning off my liver means I get to eat the glucose (in carbs) that my liver would otherwise have continued to send out (because its built-in shut-off switch is broken).
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »

Not quite. The alcohol doesn't affect converting carbs into glucose (which happens in the mouth and small intestine) - it just temporarily prevents the liver from making the glucose overload worse.

Think of your insulin as a bailing bucket. When you have T2 diabetes, insulin resistance makes your bailing bucket too small to keep up with the glucose in the bloodstream.

But a too-small-bailing bucket is not the only thing that is wrong.

Long before your bailing bucket shrunk, the switch that controls the glucose production factory in your liver broke. That factory is designed to turn on and off. It makes glucose when you need it (between meals and overnight), and doesn't make it when you don't need it (when you're eating). For people with diabetes, the switch is stuck permanently on - so it continues to make glucose, even when you are eating and don't need it.

That means my teeny-tiny bailing bucket has an even harder time keeping up with the glucose my gut is sending out from the carbs I just ate - because my liver didn't get the shut-off notice and is also still pumping out glucose.

All I'm accomplishing is making my body mimic the normal response to food - by shutting off the liver production factory - so my teeny-tiny bailing bucket only has to bail the glucose that comes from food (just like normal people). That means I can eat eat a few more carbs. Not a lot more - my bailing bucket is still too small to handle a normal carb load - but a little more for an occasional treat, since turning off my liver means I get to eat the glucose (in carbs) that my liver would otherwise have continued to send out (because its built-in shut-off switch is broken).

Oh right! I get it, ok. Thank you for explaining. Who said the human body was simple eh?