Just BLEW UP the low carb life

Options
2»

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,542 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    @nicsflyingcircus, is the All-Day IPA glass empty just because while better than Mick Ultra, it still sucks compared to really good swill?

What I'd really like is one (case) of these..... 11%

bba-mayan.jpg

I like a good stout, but... In it's place. And it's place is not 100 degree beach and pool and summertime.

And the pint glass came with the pint for 5$ at a place at the beach. Wasn't high on my list, but it was funny that I had the glass when the beer was mentioned. I actually found it rather unassuming, I like my beer higher in IBU's than that.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    And the pint glass came with the pint for 5$ at a place at the beach. Wasn't high on my list, but it was funny that I had the glass when the beer was mentioned. I actually found it rather unassuming, I like my beer higher in IBU's than that.

It's not like the expectations from an "all day" beer are that high, but yeah, doesn't compare w Founders' Centennial.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Too lazy to read the rest of the thread, but just want to say -- it happens.

My husband has been down and out for two weeks, including a four-day adventure with various doctors, three of which spent in the hospital, courtesy some sort of as-yet-unknown (like, "we're sending this to the CDC" unknown), antibiotic-resistant infection that caused abscesses in his jaw and took out three teeth and nearly part of his mandible in the process.

It started with what should have been routine extraction of some infected teeth on Monday (after a week of him being out in pain, waiting for the antibiotics to work), but they found out (after getting him under twilight sedation) that they couldn't do it, because his jaw wouldn't open enough. Since he was sedated, the earliest any dental surgeon would see him was the next day. So, the next day, we go to the one we found, who basically said that if my husband can't be a perfect little patient and let him stick his mirror in, we can GTFO. So, we fought to get into another one a couple of hours later, who promptly told him to go to the ER, because not even the dental surgeon had the equipment to do what turned out to be necessary and they needed the more advanced equipment in the hospital. So, for the next 9 hours, we sat and waited in the ER intake process, to get him into surgery, 7 of which were waiting to get him an actual room.

So, between the lack of money (he's sole income right now, and hourly), elevated stress, and time at the hospital, my diet has been...less than stellar, since I spent a fair bit of time eating out of the hospital cafeteria, which is a low-fat, grain-filled minefield. My choices were pretty much the Chiptole-knockoff Mexican, biting the bullet with the rice, or salad with a handful of chicken (and no non-light dressing in sight). The Mexican was heartier, but left me feeling not so great, and the salad, while more compliant, left much to be desired without any appreciable amount of fat (my saving grace was the cashews). I unfortunately found out the hard way that the Asian protein selections were all breaded. :( Outside of the hospital, there have been more consumption of potatoes and subpar coffee than I've had in a while, further derailing me.

On the upside, I did not throw in the towel and go with a sub from Subway at the hospital, which I considered, due to the effect of the Mexican and the sad salad bar salad being my only other option (it wasn't until I was eating my last meal that I found out that they do, indeed, do sub salads, which I didn't find on their menu).
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I was listening to Livin La Vida Low Carb today and one of the doctors speaking said that from one meal of 100g Carbs it can take up to three weeks to recover. It was a dose of reality for me. If anyone is interested, I'll look up the episode number
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    @Dragonwolf I am so sorry that your husband and you are going through this. You'll need all your energy to deal with it... Good thoughts for good healing!
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    @Dragonwolf: Considering all the two of you have been through, you did remarkedly well. Hang in there and good thoughts for your hubby!
  • Standsfast
    Standsfast Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    merflan wrote: »
    I was listening to Livin La Vida Low Carb today and one of the doctors speaking said that from one meal of 100g Carbs it can take up to three weeks to recover. It was a dose of reality for me. If anyone is interested, I'll look up the episode number

Hi. Would you please post the episode number?
    Thanks!

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
    Options
    supergal3 wrote: »
    @Dragonwolf: Considering all the two of you have been through, you did remarkedly well. Hang in there and good thoughts for your hubby!

Oh my goodness! I would go temporarily mad over that situation. So much stress. I hope he's doing better. :heart:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Thanks. He's doing better on that front, now, finally, after more than a week of super doses of antibiotics. Unfortunately, his *kitten* of a manager fired him two days after returning (and yes, unfortunately, it is legal), putting us into "applying for food stamps to get up to broke college kid" level of survival mode until we can get jobs again. :(

When it rains, it pours, eh?