"Awakening from Alzheimer's" video series - Keto diets

Options
bametels
bametels Posts: 950 Member
My grandfather passed away from Alzheimers. It's such a horrible disease. Today, is World Alzheimer’s Day and the premiere of the new video series, Awakening from Alzheimer’s.

I'm not connected with the series. I learned about it from an email list that I belong to which is from Dr. David Perlmutter, a neurologist. I'm sure his name will be familiar to many of you.

Over the next 12 days, 14 expert doctors will share groundbreaking medical and nutritional information on how to reverse Alzheimer’s and dementia and prevent it from ever happening. Multiple videos will address topics related to Keto diets and their role battling Alzheimer's.

The series is free and is available online now through October 2nd. It looks promising.

Here is the website to register:

http://event.awakeningfromalzheimers.com/trailer-2d-b/?f1428=1030

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing
  • 53YOWM
    53YOWM Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Posted it on FB. Thanks!
  • bametels
    Options
    53YOWM wrote: »
    Posted it on FB. Thanks!
    Thanks for sharing the information!

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link. Now I am registered for it and the Keto summit.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • bametels
    Options
    bump
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Thank you! My mom died of Alzheimer's at the young age of 69. Her diet was a typical 1970's / 1980's diet of lots of bad carbs and absolutely no fat. Stupid sugar industry killed my mom and countless other people all because of their bottom line. Greed is an awful thing.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    carlsoda wrote: »
    Thank you! My mom died of Alzheimer's at the young age of 69. Her diet was a typical 1970's / 1980's diet of lots of bad carbs and absolutely no fat. Stupid sugar industry killed my mom and countless other people all because of their bottom line. Greed is an awful thing.

My father made it to 72. In that era there was nothing like MFP to help get the word out about all of our options we can pick from. Just from 2015 to 2016 the VA clinic has moved passing out statin drugs from 200 to cholesterol levels of 290. That along should help health wise and cost wise.

I do not think we will ever go back to the "medical info" dark ages or at least I hope we do not.
  • bametels
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @carlsoda and @GaleHawkins - I'm sorry for the loss of your parents to this terrible disease. My grandfather lived to the age of 85 but the last years of his life were horrific. We watched him change from a kind, loving, incredibly funny man to a confused, nasty and eventually violent person. When he could no longer live alone, he moved in with my mom. But after several years she had to place him in a nearby nursing home because nurses aides would no longer work with him and his behavior became dangerous to both himself and my mom. It was heartbreaking!

Now my mom is 79. Every little lapse of memory instills a fear in her of whether it's early Alzheimer's.

I'm looking forward to this video series. I find it encouraging that keto is showing benefits in preventing and reversing this disease. My mom has been a Type 2 diabetic for about 15 years, and now some doctors consider Alzheimer's to be Type 3 diabetes. I hope to learn some things to help her and other loved ones to avoid my grandfather's fate. But, my mom is so indoctrinated with the standard diabetic medication and diet protocol. She also tends to take everything doctors say as gospel so getting her to make changes has been unsuccessful to date.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    I missed #1 video but from the comments of #2 and #3 have copied the names of the supplements mentioned in each video. Does one have the subject of #1?

#2 mentioned supplements:
    Centrophenoxine - Available over-the-counter in US, by prescription in EU
    Selegiline – By prescription in US, approved as Parkinson's and has also been shown useful in ADD
    Ginkgo
    Vinpocetine
    Picamilon (Niacin & GABA)
    SAM-e, combined with a B vitamin & Acetyl l-carnitine & N-acetyl cysteine
    BioStrath
    Nootropics:
    Piracetam
    Aniracetam
    Pramiracetam
    Oxiracetam
    Herbs:
    Saffron
    Sage

From #3 video:
    Names of herbs Rhodiola, Schizandra Chinensis, Eleutherococccus (Siberian Ginseng), and a non-herbal product, Picamilon
  • bametels
    Options
    @GaleHawkins

Thanks for sharing this! I sent them an email earlier stating that I was frustrated with videos 2 and 3 because the doctors did not provide spellings of the names. Some I figured out but others I was at a total loss. The information is only useful, for me, if I can do some reading on these supplements and find suppliers who make quality products.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    bametels wrote: »
    @GaleHawkins

Thanks for sharing this! I sent them an email earlier stating that I was frustrated with videos 2 and 3 because the doctors did not provide spellings of the names. Some I figured out but others I was at a total loss. The information is only useful, for me, if I can do some reading on these supplements and find suppliers who make quality products.

You are welcome.

I do not hear well so therefore do not spell well so the user remarks were a life saver. As they were talking about the different supplements I was googling to read about them and built an Amazon order that I placed at the end. Thankfully most were very inexpensive. I am 65 with the wife a few years younger but it sounds like for prevention some of them should be started while we are in our 40's-50's ideally. Most of my research reading and supplement testing has been on how to prevent cancer and to recover from stage 3 and 4 cancer so I am excited about doing the same for dementia and Parkinson.

The one on sleep tonight was interesting to me but not as much as the last two. 12 years ago I ordered a used CPAP off Ebay and trained myself on that subject and that has been a positive game changer for the past 12 years. Between the CPAP and heavy fish oil use for 20 years they helped me survive to learn about LCHF in 2014 that has me on the road to recovery it seems after two years. I can not image having done all this without the resource of MFP for the past two years however.

I missed #1 and just found this link. It is still active tonight and I am listening to it at this time. It seems this link format may be used for all 12 sessions. They said they would only be up for 48 hours so I do not know. #1 seems to be an overview and is interesting to know Alzheimer's actually reversible with supplements from Amazon.

event.awakeningfromalzheimers.com/episode-1/
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. My friend's husband has AD and his new neurologist put him on a ketogenic diet, though he said it was a bit late for him. However, his alertness has improved and he "reads" (knows the words but doubt he actually understands). He went from sleeping 15 hours a day down to 10 to 12. I passed this on to my friend. Her b-day (and mine) are Monday and I bought her "Keto Clarity" hoping to help her understand why her DH's doctor wants him to eat such a "funny" way.

Again thanks! <3
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    FYI, here are two related threads with links to spellbinding Youtube vids:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10439127/t2ds-insulin-bg-and-alzheimers
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10409869/coconut-oil-mcts-ketones-alzheimers

(My apologies if Drs. Newport or Schilling's work has already been covered.)
  • bametels
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @GaleHawkins and others -

They responded to my email regarding my concern that the written names of the supplements were not provided and they sent me the list. Here it is:

Supplements recommended by Dr. Brown

Centrophenoxine - Available over the counter in the U.S. and by prescription in Europe

Selegiline - By prescription, approved for Parkinson's (and is the veterinary medicine given to dogs with dementia), also has been shown to work well with ADD

Natural supplements:

Ginko
    Vinpocetine
    Picamilon (niacin and GABA) Helps with mild anxiety and depression
    SAM-e combined with B vitamins, Acetyl l-carnitine, N-acetyl cysteine
    BioStrath

Nootropics:

Piracetam
    Aniracetam
    Pramiracetam
    Oxiracetam

Herbs:

Saffron
    Sage

Supplements mentioned in Dr. Gerbarg interview

Herbs:

Rhodiola rosea
    Schisandra chinensis
    Siberian ginseng (Eleutherococcus senticosus)

Edit - should have looked at @GaleHawkins list before typing this up. They are almost identical. I did see that Gale has a non-herbal product, Picamilon on his list, which was not on the list they sent me. She did talk about this product quite a bit.

Barbara
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I just watched day 1 and day 3 (day 2 doesn't seem to be available any more), and both were very interesting and informative. Thank you @bametels for posting this.

Now, off to watch the links @RalfLott posted. . .
  • bametels
    Options
    @MyriiStorm - You are welcome. Unfortunately, unless you pay for one of the premium services, these videos are only available for 24 hours (except the first Intro video). So you need to watch each day or you'll miss something.
  • bametels
    Options
    I have some mixed feelings about the series so far. Some of these doctors are recommending so many different supplements that it's pretty hard to determine what's best for a given person and where to start. Especially, if you have someone like my mom who is already on numerous prescription drugs. You could ask your doctor but I suspect many doctors will dissuade their patients from taking supplements.

Another concern is that some of these doctors are plugging their own products or products they have an affiliation with. In today's video, Dr. Joseph Teitelbaum did this quite a bit. There may be valid reasons why they choose to sell or promote supplements, and Dr. Teitelbaum explained some of his reasons. However, in the age of lots of people hawking things over the Internet, I makes me wary. Yet, so many doctors are in essence peddling expensive prescription drugs. There are many studies out there that can be informative if one is so inclined to read the research but the results are often contradictory or narrow in scope. It makes it challenging to be an informed consumer.
  • bametels
    Options
    As they were talking about the different supplements I was googling to read about them and built an Amazon order that I placed at the end.

@GaleHawkins If you are open to sharing, I would be interested in learning what supplements you decided to try and why you selected them.