"Awakening from Alzheimer's" video series - Keto diets

Options
2»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    brainprotips.com/methylene-blue-nootropic/#comments

I found this colorful detailed site that supports one of the supplements mentioned in today's webcast. Lot of stuff to wrap the brain around again today.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins Thanks for taking the time to share such a detailed response.

I watched Dr. Newport's video today. I was particularly interested because I had already read a little about her and her husband's story.

I have already added coconut oil to my diet, although not as much as she recommends. I talked to my mom about coconut oil earlier because she's had some relatively minor cognitive issues and her older siblings all have cognitive issues that are more severe than hers is now. Plus, their dad died of Alzheimer's. It would be great if something as simple as coconut oil would help.

Haven't yet decided what, if any, of the other supplements I will try. Although, I do plan to up my coconut and coconut oil intake because I believe it played a role in increasing my HDL. Plus, I love coconut!
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    I am currently listening to Dr. Mary. It is very show and tell so two years later I am learning new stuff from her.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    FYI, Dr. Newport has a second book out, The Coconut Oil and Low-Carb Solution for Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and Other Diseases: A Guide to Using Diet and a High-Energy Food to Protect and Nourish the Brain.
    (Amazon link above but also available with a Scribd subscription.)

It's an interesting read - well-written and captivating for a lay audience, but also well-supported with discussions of recent research.

• bametels
    Options
    I just watched one of the Keto Summit sessions, which included some discussion of Alzheimer's. The session is: The Most Important But Overlooked Keys to Complete Health with Dr. Tom O'Bryan. He talks about Alzheimer's near the very end of the video. Dr. O'Bryan contends that Alzheimer's does not begin in your 50's or 60's but rather in your 20's. He explains this. He also states that it can be reversed in 9 out of 10 people and he discusses this also.

I found the entire video to be very enlightening, and his discussion of Alzheimer's interesting, informative, and relevant to this thread.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    bametels wrote: »
    I just watched one of the Keto Summit sessions, which included some discussion of Alzheimer's. The session is: The Most Important But Overlooked Keys to Complete Health with Dr. Tom O'Bryan. He talks about Alzheimer's near the very end of the video. Dr. O'Bryan contends that Alzheimer's does not begin in your 50's or 60's but rather in your 20's. He explains this. He also states that it can be reversed in 9 out of 10 people and he discusses this also.

I found the entire video to be very enlightening, and his discussion of Alzheimer's interesting, informative, and relevant to this thread.

Thank you x 1,000,000 for this great recommendation! I had to go to a meeting in another town tonight, and I got to listen to Dr. O'Bryan's talk on the way back - made the whole trip worthwhile. I wish his curiosity, spirit, and energy could be replicated in everyone in health care.....
  • bametels
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed it. He really impressed me. All of the presenters in both the Alzheimer's series and Keto series are providing good information but also promoting things- books, supplements, etc. This raises some concerns me because they have a vested interest- selling supplements particularly concerns me. It just seems like a conflict of interest, although, I can imagine potential benefits if they truly monitor the safety and quality of the supplements. It's a shame but there is so much garbage out there - it's hard to know who to trust, even medical professionals.

So far, I've been most impressed with Dr. O'Bryan and Dr. Mary Newport. Their presentations were clear and they provided practical recommendations that are easy to implement. I'm thinking that I may send for copies of both of their books. I'm interested in learning more from them.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed it. He really impressed me. All of the presenters in both the Alzheimer's series and Keto series are providing good information but also promoting things- books, supplements, etc. This raises some concerns me because they have a vested interest- selling supplements particularly concerns me. It just seems like a conflict of interest, although, I can imagine potential benefits if they truly monitor the safety and quality of the supplements. It's a shame but there is so much garbage out there - it's hard to know who to trust, even medical professionals.

So far, I've been most impressed with Dr. O'Bryan and Dr. Mary Newport. Their presentations were clear and they provided practical recommendations that are easy to implement. I'm thinking that I may send for copies of both of their books. I'm interested in learning more from them.

I'm with you there. Some of the presentations were rather underwhelming. O'Bryan and Newport are smart, industrious, and informative. Plus, I'd sooner trust someone who's only got book sales to profit from than someone selling consumables....
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Dr. David Katz from today is be best speaker in my view in this series. The hostess spoke very little.
  • bametels
    Options
    Dr. Bredesen's work is very interesting. I found a research article online, which documents the outcomes of the first 10 patients using his protocol. It's in a peer-reviewed, open source journal. Here's the link if you are interested in reading it.

http://www.aging-us.com/article/NjJf3fWGKw4e99CyC/text
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Dr. Bredesen's work is very interesting. I found a research article online, which documents the outcomes of the first 10 patients using his protocol. It's in a peer-reviewed, open source journal. Here's the link if you are interested in reading it.

http://www.aging-us.com/article/NjJf3fWGKw4e99CyC/text

Thanks for the link. I did catch it late last night after Dr. Katz and I agree with you. Keto WOE was given a lot of attention. Sounds like High Fat/High Carb is the most dangerous way of eating.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Dr. David Katz from today is be best speaker in my view in this series. The hostess spoke very little.

This was a great tip - thanks for the plug.

I've been looking at Dr. Katz's vids and articles, and he makes a lot of great points very convincingly; he speaks well, and his articles for Huffington and USNews are exceptionally well-written.

A few basic concepts ....
    • "Eat wholesome foods, sensibly combined "
    • Don't replace junk carbs with junk fat (our ancestors didn't eat spam)
    • Don't replace junk fat with junk carbs (our ancestors didn't eat Snackwells)