Fat old badger looking for moral support

Options
Me: Sedentary 54 year old desk-jockey. 5' tall, 211 lbs as of this morning (wearing nothing but skin).

Pre-diabetic.
Hypertension - on medication
High cholesterol

Also on medication for "low-functioning thyroid" - not sure if that affects anything or not.

Doc says I need to lose 50 lbs if I want to see my 60th birthday. I can't climb a flight of stairs without huffing and puffing like a steam-engine. So I'm here and reaching out for moral support as I start on this journey.

Replies

• nick197785
    nick197785 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You've come to the right place. Are you doing weight watchers or another plan of some kind?
  • OldHufflepuff
    OldHufflepuff Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This all started last Thursday at a long-overdue "annual" exam (first one in 7 or 8 years). My doc has suggested that I start out by doing portion control rather than restricting what I eat. So no, not following any "plan" except eating less.

I am trying to make healthier choices about meals as well. Grilled chicken instead of fried, for example. 2 pieces instead of 3.
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    Not that old. We are all on this forum to live an attainable lifestyle for the rest of our lives. Many came from Weight Watchers and others from all over. You've come to a group that is no bull, common sense and supportive. Stick around and read some old threads to get a feel for how this group interacts.
    Me: 57 6' and 300 lbs. Down almost 30 and a long way to go, but I find a lot of encouragement and wisdom here. Welcome!!
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,087 Member
    Options
    Hey let us know how it goes. In my case I needed a little more specifics as to amount of foods since I eat way too fast and don't have a great "I am full" meter in my brain. Congrats on taking that first step.
  • OldHufflepuff
    Options
    Thanks guys. Nice to be here. Feel free to poke me if you catch me not updating.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Welcome Mr. Puff. Portion control is a great place to start. Many find it helpful to have a specific daily limit to stay under. In WW it is "points". My Fitness Pal (MFP) uses calories. Either can work if you weigh or measure everything. I suggest purchasing a food scale. You probably already have measuring cups. You can find calorie info online for most restaurants by searching for their nutritional info.

Don't go all "diety" on us. You didn't gain all that weight overnight and it won't come off fast either. Make gradual changes and think long-term. Any loss is a good loss at this point so don't get hung up on the scale reading. The number is not important, only the trend.

Good luck. I look forward to hearing about your progress.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,472 Member
    Options
    You have to pick some kind of plan. As was noted, most of us are from WW. I got into WW because it had 2 things. 1) it counted stuff. WW counts points but its really just calorie counting in disguise. 2) I had to write down what I ate. I read somewhere that research showed that writing down what you eat is the #1 thing you can do to lose. I can recommend WW because it worked for me.

But whatever plan you follow, you will do better if you get in the habit of planning your meals in advance to stick with the plan. If you aren't getting anywhere, it means you need a better plan. As Phil said, try to make gradual changes. I tried to look at it as just trading a couple of bad habits for some good ones. And it's not a race. It's likely more helpful in the long run to lose slowly.

And one last thing. It can be done. I was 44 and weighed 285lbs, had high BP and a CPAP machine. I couldn't walk more than 2 blocks because of back pain. I'm 66 now and was shocked this morning that I am up to 184lbs, my WW goal weight. You will have ups and downs. Don't kick yourself. Conventional wisdom about weight loss is wrong. It's not about discipline or character or motivation, it's just about problem solving. It's a bunch of little problems to solve. Good luck.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,228 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the party!
  • OldHufflepuff
    Options
    "don't go all diety" - this made me laugh. This is a long-term project, not a fad thing. I intend to see my 85th birthday at a minimum.

Meal planning: for the last 5 years, I've been eating lunch at the office cafeteria. For the record, there is literally no place else one can go for lunch and get back within the hour allotted. So those of us with bean-counting managers either skip lunch, brown bag it, or eat at the cafeteria.

So my current meal plan is something along the lines of: bring lunch from home at least 3 days of the week (and 5 would be better). To that end, I made a big batch of turkey stew on Sunday and took some for lunch today. Tonight on the way home from work, I stopped at the grocery and bought the wherewithal for tuna salad. So between the leftover stew (I have 4 lunches worth in the freezer) and the salad, I've got lunch covered for this week and part of next. I also bought apples and bananas and plan to take one to lunch every day.

Trying to plan meals for the week is ... challenging ... because my wife is a picky eater. She wants me to be healthy - but she doesn't want to eat tuna and turkey all the time. I'm going to HAVE to come up with some options. This is what I've got for this week, for example:

Tonight: Hummus with carrots and bell peppers.
    Tuesday: Turkey stew
    Wednesday: Fried egg sandwiches
    Thursday: grilled steak with peas & carrots.
    Friday: grilled salmon with corn on the cob.

Limiting myself to one serving of each entree (instead of my customary 2), and doubling up on the veggies.

Dinner's ready - more later.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Welcome FOB! After a little adjustment, I realized I could still eat everything I used to eat, just a lot less of it. Doing that over about a year and a half, I lost 80 pounds. I mix it up often, eating plan-friendly stuff whenever it works (sometimes soup for breakfast, lean deli meat or steamed shrimp for snacks, and eggs for dinner). That said, there are are a few things that I have chosen not 'invest in' because they're just not worth it either in flavor or in minuscule serving size for the points / calories.

However you do it, I agree that measuring and tracking is key. It's also interesting to enter the food and quantities you used to eat into the tracker. Doing so will help provide context for your former and future intake.

Stick around and join in--the more the merrier here!
  • OldHufflepuff
    Options
    Well tonight's dinner turned into a "clean out the fridge" dinner of the aforementioned hummus, bell pepper, and carrots - and added some about-to-go-bad guacamole and the end of a loaf of bread.

Rather pleased with the over-all results of the day. Too much sodium, and I need to work on that.

I walked (lumbered? gimped?) around the courtyard at work for about 15 minutes at lunch. I am now the proud owner of a blister the size of a Kennedy half-dollar. If I'm going to do that, I'm going to have to bring sneakers and change shoes for walking.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,472 Member
    Options
    Good going. You know the saying "no pain, no gain?" It's BS. Don't do stuff that hurts, it's not necessary.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,545 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Lots of good input here. I would start with tracking, and measuring & weighing everything. Old at 54, you got a lot of tread on those tires.
  • spospo1
    spospo1 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'll steal a great quote. "Eat less, move more, Repeat. And track, track track your food. Good luck.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,971 Member
    Options
    "Old"? BS! I'm 72, and not the oldest here. I was 335#, and the Dr. said "DIABETIC". Now kicking @245# (been lower, but...) Off the diabetes meds, and a lot less BP meds.
    I don't get a lot of excersise (spinal stenosis and other stuff) bet shoot for 4000 steps on my fitbit, and some strethching excersises. You do what you can.
    Welcome, and as we say, "Onward and Downwards".
  • DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,862 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestion to record what you eat. The idea of just eating less sounds good, but it doesn't work very well. You need a structure to follow. Join Weightwatchers, track here on MFP, or use one of the apps that are out there. The common thread is that they provide limits on intake, balanced with your activity level. This isn't easy. But if you discipline yourself to stay within the structured habits long enough, they become second nature.
    I am 66. I joined WW seven years ago, when I, too, would get winded climbing a flight of stairs. I lost almost 60 lbs., exercised a lot and have kept that up. This summer I was able to take some awesome hikes in the mountains of Washington State. I even covered 29 miles in one long day on the trail. You can succeed. But experience has shown that you are not likely to succeed without following a plan better than "eating less."
  • OldHufflepuff
    Options
    If I can When I shuck this weight, I'm pretty sure I'll feel better.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,545 Member
    Options
    You can succeed. But experience has shown that you are not likely to succeed without following a plan better than "eating less."

Pretty basic truth

• podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,087 Member
    Options
    Yeah my long version is really like Dave's. Without an actual plan I didn't eat the best portions etc. I didn't really gain much on my "wishing my weight off" plan but didn't really lose either until I joined WW and did portion control and tracking.

Hey the good news is that you have taken the first step. Sometimes that's the hardest anyway.
  • OldHufflepuff
    Options
    Hoooooo boy. I've just discovered how bad I am at eyeballing food. Recommendations for food scale, please?