Options
2»

Replies

• Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 926 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Any digital scale will do, IMO.
    BTW, nice to see you around the board. You are doing great!
  • JimfromColumbia
    JimfromColumbia Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey Puff... glad you made it here! Welcome.... I concur with all the comments but especially tracking and measuring.... Particularly measuring at the beginning, as you have already discovered your "portion eye" needs to be retrained, and the only way of doing that is repetition. I play a game with myself, I will take a portion of [fill in the blank], tell myself what it weighs, or what volume it is... (cup, tablespoon, whatever) and then actually measure it. After a while the eye comes back... you do need to tune it up from time to time. And I admit, when home I will generally weigh it or measure it anyway..... Good Luck, keep in touch with the board often... it helps and these are a bunch of really good guys....
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    Me: Sedentary 54 year old desk-jockey. 5' tall, 211 lbs as of this morning (wearing nothing but skin)

I WISH I WAS ONLY 54!

As you can see we (GOADs) haven't had a Newbie ask for help in a while. The Newbies usually show up after Super Bowl is over. LoL

I began my latest (LAST!) WW journey at age 65 in Jan 2013 weighing 376#. It took little over a year to lose 100# and then I "relaxed" BUT I DIDNOT gain any back (a first for me). Jan 2016 I rebooted myself and have lost another 32#, so now at 236 and have lost -140#.

There are a million platitudes on losing weight, Motivation, etc so I will just give you one,

A goal without a plan is only a wish.

WW plan works, there are many diets but if you want to lose weight without going "on a diet" you will need to make some changes you can live with the rest of your life. Hummus, bell peppers and carrots for dinner? No thanks.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    @OldHufflepuff does "Badger" mean you're from Wisco?
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,094 Member
    Options
    I joined WW at age 62 and in my case was a lot better off 50 LB lighter and have kept it off for over 8 years now.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Although many of us are WW 'refugees', we're here in this group because WW no longer offers a message board, not because the program isn't sound.

But you don't have to follow WW. It is ONE toolkit that has been very effective. This website offers some great tools as well. The key tools are the tracker, the food 'catalog' and the 'calculator' for assessing caloric goals. Tools for measuring your food (preferably by weight, but by volume if you can't weigh) are also essential, especially if you're new to calorie management.

Welcome.

• imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,982 Member
    Options
    Welcome! glad your here.
  • OldHufflepuff
    OldHufflepuff Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Jimb376mfp wrote: »

Nope, it's a Harry Potter reference.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Jimb376mfp wrote: »

Nope, it's a Harry Potter reference.

Thank goodness. ;-)
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm old to MFP, new to this group. I was the same as you, only younger and didn't listen to my doc. Now that I've joined "the zipper club" I'm highly motivated to lose the weight. Even if you don't want to start a plan yet, write down everything you eat and I mean everything! After about a week you'll really be surprised by how much you are eating without realizing it.
  • OldHufflepuff
    OldHufflepuff Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Right now, a bit more concerned about surviving the hurricane than losing weight. If I make it through to Saturday, I'll be good.

I'm working on building the habit of tracking what I eat - not as easy as it sounds.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,885 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Welcome.

Let be offer some observations:

I started at 315 with no goal other than "less" and no expectations of how long it would take. I hit 180 after 2 3/4 years. Observation? The longer it takes to lose weight, the more time you have to learn what works for you.

Age doesn't matter. Eating less than you burn matters.

Exercise is good for your health; eating less is good for your weight. Lots of us got fat by exercise with a "chaser" of whatever indulgence because "I earned it". The well-managed fork is a better tool for weight loss than a $1000 treadmill.

Glad your doctor got your attention, but there are worse things than dying - like a stroke that leave you unable to communicate or take care of yourself. The "kindness of strangers" is highly overrated as a life choice.

A last observation? My 89 year old mother is in a nursing home due to sequelae from a hip fracture. Every time I visit, it seems half the people there are residents as a consequence of being overweight. If your motivation to lose weight wanes, spend some time visiting a nursing home; you'll treasure your health even more.

Welcome.