Low Carb Chili (i.e. no beans)

Options
Anyone have a good no bean chili recipe? My understanding is that what I call "chili" is called "cowboy beans" in Texas, but my recipe before low carb was typically:
-ground beef
-kidney beans
-chili beans
-diced tomatoes
-chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder
-hot sauce
-peppers of some sort, often habaneros
*Served with crackers in it, or sometimes would make a cheese sandwich to dip in it.

Of course the crackers and sandwich are out... occasionally used to just put in shredded cheese to melt into a bowl of chili, and I could still do that. But beans were always a big part of the chili, and they are way more carbs than I want to eat. So what should I replace beans with?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I would replace the beans with more meat. Some well stewed beef chunks (cut the size of beans) might make a good sub for texture?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I would replace the beans with more meat. Some well stewed beef chunks (cut the size of beans) might make a good sub for texture?

Yes, that might be a winning idea... perhaps some different meats even - some bacon, some small pieces of other meat perhaps. Will need to experiment.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 Once i made chili with some leftover steak and WOW it was delicious! Did not miss the beans at all!
  • kpk54
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I've made chili with both ground breakfast sausage and ground hot Italian sausage (in addition to the ground beef) and they were really good. Leave the sausage in bean size chunks when you cook it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I tried making the "Keto Caveman Chili" and wasn't a huge fan (it tasted far better before the optional spices). It used bell peppers, but I think I'd probably like it more now (I made it early in my adjustment). If you do okay with soy, soy black beans can be a compromise in the bean department. However, I find that I can tolerate a small amount of beans in my chili without any major impact or being kicked from keto.

Wendy's chili was always an old favorite of mine, and it had diced onions and bell peppers (in much smaller dice than I used) AND green chilis. I think that was key...the above recipe didn't use chilis that I recall... I'm still in search of my favorite lower carb chili.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Anyone have a good no bean chili recipe? My understanding is that what I call "chili" is called "cowboy beans" in Texas, but my recipe before low carb was typically:
    -ground beef
    -kidney beans
    -chili beans
    -diced tomatoes
    -chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder
    -hot sauce
    -peppers of some sort, often habaneros
    *Served with crackers in it, or sometimes would make a cheese sandwich to dip in it.

Of course the crackers and sandwich are out... occasionally used to just put in shredded cheese to melt into a bowl of chili, and I could still do that. But beans were always a big part of the chili, and they are way more carbs than I want to eat. So what should I replace beans with?

I made a chili the other day that turned out great. I took a giant hunk of meat (rump roast or pot roast) the biggest one the market had. Put it in the crockpot with one sliced onion and 1Tbsp liquid (I used italian dressing and it worked fine). Then slow cook it for the next 6-8 hours on low. It will be fork tender with a lot of liquid from the meat in the pot. Towards the end add two chopped green peppers (they'll need an hour or two to cook).

Shred/chop the meat up. Add one small can of tomato paste (it served my family four days, so that's 12 large bowls), and a good dose of cumin (also called chili powder) - I don't measure but you almost can't add too much. I estimate I used two TBSP. Then add or not whatever beans you can comfortably live with. I used a can of black beans (so there were only a few beans in each serving).

Spice it up with garlic powder, salt, pepper and hot sauce if you want it (I didn't). Then add water if needed (I think I added one can - 6oz). Cook on low AGAIN to blend the flavors and heat through. Serve with cheese! It's better every day. The meat/fat also makes it very filling.

• JessicaLCHF
    Options
    t7su3b65evqh.jpg
  • kpk54
    Options
    Hmmmm...cumin is cumin and from a plant similar to parsley. Chili powder is ground peppers. Many "blends" of commercial chili powder do contain cumin.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    http://www.weavethousandflavors.com/2012/03/terlingua-red-chili-the-competition-way.html

I made this bean free chili once and it was pretty good.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I make my normal chili, same spices and veggies but omit beans and anything too carb heavy. I do keep an onion in just for flavor then remove it after a few hours of simmering. I use 3 different types of ground meat - ground sausage, ground turkey and ground beef. I also add in a pack of cooked bacon.

I love chili.. lol
  • kpk54
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    I make my normal chili, same spices and veggies but omit beans and anything too carb heavy. I do keep an onion in just for flavor then remove it after a few hours of simmering. I use 3 different types of ground meat - ground sausage, ground turkey and ground beef. I also add in a pack of cooked bacon.

I love chili.. lol

That seems like a pretty good idea to me. Some may ponder how much it reduces the carbs via the onion juice being extracted into the chili but to me, life is too short for all that pondering. And, I certainly prefer the taste of fresh onion to onion powder/granulated onion/dried minced onions. I've always added carrots for sweetness when making marina. Never thought of using it whole and removing.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    Hmmmm...cumin is cumin and from a plant similar to parsley. Chili powder is ground peppers. Many "blends" of commercial chili powder do contain cumin.

Interesting. They both always tasted the same to me, but now that you mention it the cumin a little stronger. I guess my chili powder prolly has a lot of fillers. I guess some ppl even add salt to it.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2013/02/10-minute-no-chop-low-carb-chili.html

Made this a few months ago. I added green diced chiles and used fatty ground beef, not lean. I also added sour cream and cheddar cheese to garnish. Tasted delish!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Kinda made a chili pot tonight.... ground pure pork sausage (in a tube - not patties or in casing) browned up, diced onion, diced yellow sweet pepper, shredded zucchini (to hide from husband), a handful of baby spinach (leftover in the bag), 1/2 tsp cumin seeds fried in with the meat, smoked chili powder to taste, tiny pinch of oregano, homemade no-sugar garden tomato salsa just to wet it. Spooned over a handful of lettuce, topped with grated cheddar and a big scoop of 11% fat Greek yogourt. Yummy.... I had this sausage sitting in the freezer for a bit and wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it. This thread gave me the idea. Also I find that a few drops of Vietnamese fish sauce does wonders in making stuff more savoury without giving it that rotten fish odour. I didn't add it to this mixture but it goes in my bolognese and marinara sauces. I think I'll try an add next round.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Does anyone keep the fat in their chili? I.e. if I brown some ground beef and ground pork sausage to add to chili, does anyone have any separation issues with adding that fat to the chili rather than draining it before adding the meat?
  • kpk54
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If I don't drain the fat, it surfaces and lays on the top. Even draining it, the remaining fat will surface but isn't as noticeable since there is less. Cool that hot pot of chili and place it in the refrigerator and you'll see just how much fat there is because it hardens and coats over the chili below.

I usually drain the cooked meat for chili. I eat 75 % fat but pick and choose the fats I eat.
  • Sarahb29
    Options
    Does anyone keep the fat in their chili? I.e. if I brown some ground beef and ground pork sausage to add to chili, does anyone have any separation issues with adding that fat to the chili rather than draining it before adding the meat?

No, it would all rise to the top. You can add extra fat in by loading it with cheese, guac or full fat sour cream, or adding another fatty meat to it like ground sausage.
  • Sarahb29
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »

I love chili.. lol

That seems like a pretty good idea to me. Some may ponder how much it reduces the carbs via the onion juice being extracted into the chili but to me, life is too short for all that pondering. And, I certainly prefer the taste of fresh onion to onion powder/granulated onion/dried minced onions. I've always added carrots for sweetness when making marina. Never thought of using it whole and removing.

Yup you get to have some flavor and not as many carbs. I'm sure some sweetness from the onion escapes but it can't be as much as if it was just left in. You can also get or make a spice pouch out of cheese cloth (similar to a bouquet garnis) and throw in your bay leaves, whole cloves of garlic, thyme, parsley or anything you don't want left floating in the chili into one big pouch. I'd chop the onion in 1/2 or 1/4s to maximize your flavor though.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    the best chili ever will be yours if you make this recipe right here:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/02/southwest-cowboy-chili-from-nom-nom-paleo.html

Adding chopped scallions, radishes and cilantro on top, squeezing in a bit of lime ... heaven.