Any one quit smoking successfully?...help!

Options

Replies

• Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 8 of cold turkey,

it is hell... but you have to really want it!

I can't explain how much better i feel for not smoking... my fitness has literally DOUBLED!!!!!!

Good luck!
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I've never smoked but I was talking about it with a lady in my yoga class and she is doing great, over 2 wks without a cigarette. Things helping her are yoga 3x a wk, chewing on a toothpick, and gardening. Good luck!

Oh my older sis quit by replacing cigarettes with sunflower seeds in the shell which used some of the hand/mouth fixation.
  • FindingSexy
    FindingSexy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My weakness is social smoking. Being around smokers makes me want to smoke. If I'm not around smokers, I don't care. Everyone's weakness is a little different. Smoking the occasional cig with friends is way better than smoking a pack a day.

Yeah this is me! I have been trying to quit for 1 & 1/2 years; April 30th will be 2 years.
  • daisiecpa
    daisiecpa Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i quit smoking in 1996. i used to smoke 2 packs a day. i was around 23 and sick all the time with bronchitis. so i had to quit. it was hard but so worth it. now i hate cigarettes and can not believe i ever smoked. i used the patches and had a list of why i was quitting and read that everytime i wanted to smoke.

good luck you can do it if you set your mind to it.
  • acaruso619
    acaruso619 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I started smoking in 1995 and quit in 2005. For me, it was easy because I really, honest to goodness wanted to quit, so I did. I had five cigarettes left in the pack and just tossed it. I never used nicorette or any other "weaning" device, I just flat out stopped and never looked back. The first two weeks SUCKED. But once I got past that, it got much easier. It's been seven years since my last cigarette and now the smell of them makes me sick. But, I can breathe easier, I don't wake up coughing, and I've probably saved several thousand dollars. You can do this...just take it one day at a time for the first two weeks. It will be worth it.
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    6am tomorrow it will be 4 weeks smoke free for me. half a pack a day for most of the last 24 years, since i was 12 or 14.

my two cents on quitting. you have to decide if you really want to quit, not kind of want to, not quit because your family wants you to but that you dont want to be a smoker anymore. if you cant say that you want to quit then dont try, might as well enjoy it until you decide enough is enough and you want to give it up since the battle will be an inner one. really think about it, think about your favorite cigarettes and think about experiencing that moment without a smoke.

like most everything else in life, it is mostly if not all mental. the mind can tell or teach the body to do anything but the mind can work against you if you arent completely committed.

think ahead and think about what success will look like. for instance, if the toughest time to not have a cigarette is in the car then have it detailed, that little extra incentive will help, you dont want to waste all the money you just spent making your car nice. if you feel like you cant afford to detail your car think about it this way. how many packs will you spend on detailing the car. lets say it is 20 and that you smoke a pack a day. put the detailing on the credit card and in 20 days you will be able to pay the credit card bill... as long as you dont buy cigarettes during that time (yet more motivation)

do the same to your home, get a maid service for a big cleaning and then no more smoking inside after that.

my toughest time to not have a smoke is right after a workout. think about that time and think about it smoke free. you will need something to occupy yourself then and peeling and eating an orange works great for me. it occupies my hands and something about the citrus and natural sugar helps dull the physical cravings and oranges are good for you. good combo

change your routines as much as possible. it helped me that i quit at the beginning of a camping trip and i will never smoke around my kids so that was a few days where it wasnt an option and it rarely came to mind even though those are supposed to be the toughest days.

who else either doesnt know you smoke or you wont smoke around them for one reason or another? schedule a bunch of time with them in the coming days and weeks.

post about not smoking on FB and MFP and twitter or wherever you frequent, at least once a day proclaim how long it has been since you smoked, you wont want to have the clock tick back to zero next time you make such an announcement but if you do, suck up the embarrassment and start over, smarter for the mistake you made

i dont tell people good luck since luck has nothing to do with it (and if you think you need luck then dont try to stop), it is all about deciding for yourself, deep down, without reservation, that this is something you want to do, then thinking about what that means and what it will be like to not have a break at 10a to go outside work or to not sit on your front steps after a meal or whatever your rituals are.
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I haven't smoked since March 14 2009. I quit cold turkey. My daughter simply said if you don't quit. You won't see your grandkids in the future. That was all I needed to hear. That was a great motivator for me. I'm using that for my weight loss now too. ONE DAY AT A TIME! Bless you for trying :smile:
  • t2kburl
    t2kburl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've tried to quit by every method known without success until I watched the video presentation of Allen Carr's Easy Way To Quit Smoking. After that the way I thought about nicotine changed and I no longer have ANY desire to ever smoke again.
  • whitefang66
    whitefang66 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I gave up smoking on 12th april after being a 30 a day smoker for 18 years. I found the patches very helpful, but others have said tablets like champix are better for them. Speak to your GP or find a quit smoking support group near you. I cant view your profile to establish where you are in the world, I'm in the UK so the NHS and my GP helped me.
    BUT and here is the but!! .. You have to want it so BAD! If you dont, you wont quit. You will find any excuse to keep lighting up. Just saying you want to is a small step.. actually wanting to is a much bigger one.
    Some small things that might help. 1. Set a date and stick to it, 2. TELL EVERYONE! You'll be surpirsed how much help and support you will get from people. Announce it on twitter and facebook if you use them. 3. Use NRT's (nicotine replacement therapies). You're 5 times more likely to quit successfully!
    Some other things I found helped. Buy some carrot sticks to chomp when you get a craving, it will help to get thru the craving . Drink plenty of water. You will become dehydrated when you quit. Take ach day one day at a time. The longest journeys are made up of many smaller steps. Research online. There are plenty of help pages for quitting smoking, Treat yourself with the money you save.

post about not smoking on FB and MFP and twitter or wherever you frequent, at least once a day proclaim how long it has been since you smoked, you wont want to have the clock tick back to zero next time you make such an announcement but if you do, suck up the embarrassment and start over, smarter for the mistake you made

Absolutely... this was one of my biggest things in helping me quit!!
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking on March 22 after smoking off and on since I was around 16.

One of my primary motivations (other than the obvious health reasons) was the cost of cigarettes. I don't know how much cigarettes cost where you live, but in Chicago they are $10 a pack. (And rising!) This means I have saved nearly $1500 since I quit smoking, since I was smoking around a pack a day. I didn't think twice about throwing away $10 a day on cigarettes. It's stunning to me now, thinking back.

Instead of throwing that money away, I bought the shoes in my avatar as a reward to myself when I hit three months. (I still would have spent more on the cigarettes.) It makes me physically ill to think about all the money I've thrown away on smoking over the years, and every time I start to think fondly about smoking, I remember that. And I wear my new shoes.

You will not regret quitting! You will regret not quitting. Don't waste any more money!
  • Redtango76
    Redtango76 Posts: 144
    Options
    My story is similar to many of the other posters on this thread...

I smoked for about 12 years. One to two packs per day. I quit when I was newly single and realized that many people don't like the dirty habit, and that continuing to smoke would limit my dating options. (Silly reason I know, but whatever works). I quit cold turkey on the 4th of July in 1986.

My triggers were coffee, alcohol, and driving in the car. I gave up coffee and alcohol for a while, and every time I got into my car for about a year, I pushed in the lighter, and then had a laugh because I didn't have any cigs.

It has been 26 years since I quit, and it is one of my greatest accomplishments. I have been diagnosed with COPD as a result of my smoking. I do not have symptoms, and the doctor says that I will probably not develop them.

The best thing you can do for yourself and your family is to quit now -- it is more important to quit smoking than it is to lose weight IMHO. Do whatever it takes. If I could you can.

Good luck:wink::wink:

Very similar to me triggers were coffee, driving and sitting in front of Pc ...I altered my habit until it was safe to do them again . The hand to mouth motion of smoking is so ingrained that when I felt the rue to smoke I pop a fresh piece of gum in my mouth every time I wanted to smoke. I went thru a ton of gum ( any kind you like not the nicorette) but the action helped curb the craving ! Good luck ! And I agree it's more important than losing weight!
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    :smile:

I remember the first time I smelled lilacs in the spring because my sense of smell was improving - it was wonderful.

Cheryl

THIS IS SO TRUE!!!

You will be shocked at your sense of smell and taste when they return. You smell and taste things that you couldn't before.

This is gross: I had two children when I quit smoking. I packed their summer clothes away after I quit, and when I unpacked them at the beginning of the next summer, I had to throw EVERYTHING away. I could not believe how HORRIBLE their clothes smelled. I was so embarassed that my children smelled bad because of my DISGUSTING habit.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    I quit smoking four years ago. I used to get sick by flu every few months in the last years I was smoking, it would take over a week to get well. When you're sick you don't enjoy smoking very much, so I used the last flu as a jumpstart to quitting. I quit at once and haven't had a smoke since. I also decided at the time that for the next year I'm allowing myself any other bad habit, like chocolate or alcohol, as long as I don't smoke. After a year I gained a little belly and started watching myself. In four years I had the flu twice and shaken it off in a day or two. Last time I had it as a smoker it took two weeks. Smoking don't just causes cancer, there are other diseases, called in a general term "pulmonary disease" and not much effort is being done in that area. There is no cure, people die slowly, over years, connected to an oxygen bottle and you never hear about this on the news.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time, I smoke a prime time maybe once every other week or so. mostly just when I'm camping or super drunk.
  • bltrexler
    bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    CHANTIX!!!!!!!
    worth all the side effects as it takes away the "love" of smoking. Been smoke free almost 2 years now and don't even want to smoke b/c the desire is gone. Worth every penny expecially with a pack costing 9$ While on it one day I was like why am I smoking this? and never looked back.

FYI, I smoked for 10 years off and off, I quit atleast 8 times for 11 months (while pregant) then right back to it after. I no longer want to smoke with coffee or drinks or when I see other people smoking, Plus the dr found a lump on my lung that gets monitored and I am 30.
  • firedupfriend
    firedupfriend Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I smoked like a chimney and had the most dreadful eating habits. lived on coffee, coke and choclates.
    I used ZYban for about 2 months to kick the habit and I am so grateful I did.
    I did not feel better when I gave up and was as sick as a dog for more thatn a year, I caught anything doing the rounds.
    My eating habits didn't improve and I put on 50kg,
    I will NEVER smoke again because it is even more difficult trying to lose the weight I put on!
    I still have a craving once in a blue moon, but I think of all the weight and i'm done!

Good luck, it really is worth it.
  • Kookie215
    Kookie215 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 now its not easy but it's worth it. i remember when i decideed to quit too, i was *****ing to my sis about how im just to big to run as i went to lite another smoke. At that moment i knew i was ready... good luck!!
  • nroth57
    nroth57 Posts: 21
    Options
    In December, I will be smoke free for two years. I started at 16 and quit at 32 - half my life I smoked a pack a day. I didn't have troubles breathing, or coughing. I didn't get sick all the time, I didn't feel bad, I was active and exercised regularly. But I wanted to quit, but couldn't do it. Then my father-in-law had a heart attack and the doctors looked him over and said everything was fine - the heart attack was solely blamed on his smoking. He had to give up booze, cheese, meat and sausage and salt - the real reasons for living! My husband and I decided we wanted to eat those things, so we quit together. He quit with the patch. The patch gave me rashes, so I did a few things. I got Wellbutrin from my doctor. I got an e-cigarette for when i craved holding one and inhaling and I got the gum to chew throughout the day....
    Using all three of those things combined helped...then I got pregnant. That made it a lot easier to stay smoke free...I don't recommend that tactic necessarily. :) But I do not believe that any of those three would have stood on their own and helped me quit. I needed all three together.

Good luck!! We are all rooting for you! :)
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    :smokin: I smoked for 40 years & quit 7 years ago. I had tried a number of different ways before being successful, with the Nicoderm patch. I find that each person is different as far as what worked for them & it has to be 100% your decision that it's time. :smile:

I don't miss it & I don't have any problem being around others who do smoke. :indifferent:

I wish you well on this lifestyle change.:flowerforyou: & congratulate all those here who have succeeded.
  • dougalcampbell
    Options
    I don't know that I have any real "advice". Personally, for me, it was just *really* wanting to quit. I didn't even really plan it out. I had sort of decided in the back of my mind that I needed to quit after realizing that I had slowly worked up from "just" 1 pack a day to 2 packs a day. Then at the end of a business trip, I stepped out of the airport, realized I had one cig left in the pack in my pocket, and decided that I wasn't going to smoke it. I tossed it in the trash, and quit cold turkey right then.

The hardest part was getting through about the first 2-3 weeks. Every time I stopped to get gas in my car, I had to fight the habit/urge of going inside to buy a pack. Over time, the urge got weaker. And as everyone will tell you, there comes a point where you start to realize just how strong and how bad the scent of stale cigarette smoke is. Some stranger will walk by you, and you think to yourself, "did *I* really smell like *that* all the time?"

Another hard part is feeling like you need something to do with your hands, or something to chew on. You might want to keep some sugar-free gum around, or lifesavers, or some other low-cal, long-lasting snack (maybe try carrot sticks or celery).

Another thing that helped me stick to it was that once I decided I was done, I told all my friends that I was quitting. This added pressure on me to not backslide, and fail publicly.

That said, I did backslide once or twice over the years for brief periods (once while traveling with a smoker friend, another time due to stress). But I was able to stop myself easily. I haven't smoked in about 15 years now.