Any one quit smoking successfully?...help!

I've been a smoker for a long time now. I started smoking at a very young age, way too young, in fact. I have tried to quit cold turkey about 4 years ago, and it worked for 3 months, then ...somehow, my addiction got the best of me. I've also tried the electronic cigarette and that didn't work either. I think what I really need is your opinion, and your success stories. I think hearing about other people journeys will motivate and inspire me. So, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    My weakness is social smoking. Being around smokers makes me want to smoke. If I'm not around smokers, I don't care. Everyone's weakness is a little different. Smoking the occasional cig with friends is way better than smoking a pack a day.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    I've been a smoker for a long time now. I started smoking at a very young age, way too young, in fact. I have tried to quit cold turkey about 4 years ago, and it worked for 3 months, then ...somehow, my addiction got the best of me. I've also tried the electronic cigarette and that didn't work either. I think what I really need is your opinion, and your success stories. I think hearing about other people journeys will motivate and inspire me. So, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I smoked for 10 years. I smoked while being active and fit for all ten years, Including one full season of playing college soccer (not advisable), six rugby union seasons and one Aussie Rules football season. I did Tough Mudders, rebel races, warrior dashes, half marathons, 5K's, 10K's, Turkey Trots. I didn't *think* it affected me for any of that time.

Then, in February of this year I quit cold turkey. I was just ready, I guess. Since I quit I've realized exactly how much smoking was affecting me.

Since quitting smoking I have:

- shaved a full two minutes off my mile time
    - finally started losing the fat around my waist
    - finally finished a full two hour Aussie Rules training without needing my inhaler
    - finally gotten really solid sleep (when I smoked I woke up throughout the night. I thought I was just a poor sleeper, turns out it was the nicotine, who knew?!)
    - not woken up feeling totally crummy once after a night out despite amount of alcohol consumed
    - not wheezed going up the four flights of stairs going up to my fourth floor walk-up apartment (when I smoked, I thought it was weird that someone as "fit" as I was was still wheezing going up stairs)
    - found other, more productive ways to deal with stress
    - made new connections with my fitness enthusiast friends because I no longer felt like I needed to hide my dirty little secret from them

The list goes on.You need to quit, and yes, you can. It's simultaneously the hardest and easiest thing you will ever do. Are you ready for the key ingredient in this though? You have to want it. You have to want to be smoke free for good. You have to want it more than anything you've ever wanted. You have to realize exactly what smoking is. It's a filthy nasty crutch of a habit that's impeding your growth, both fitness-wise and as a human being, every time you light up. You can do it girl! I believe in you.
  • beckie4442
    beckie4442 Posts: 132
    Yes I have.

I am in my 11th week. I have smoked since I was 11 I am now 33, so 2/3 of my life. I have tried to quit cold turkey numerous times over the years without success this time I have taken the tablets Champix, I have had no ill effects and no physical cravings I can't beleive it's so easy....... I'm amazed.

I'm not particularly fit but what has happened is;

- I can breathe deeply
    - I can laugh/yawn without coughing
    - I can run upstairs without feeling like my hearts about to explode or I'm going to pass out
    - I don't smell horrible anymore
    - My muscles can't keep up with my breathing rather than the other way round.

However the down side is I've put back on 14 lbs in 11 weeks. This is not because I am replacing ciggerettes with food. I was sort of concentrating on the smoking aspect and ate and drank what I liked and didn't keep up my exercise, not really thinking about weight gain.
    Now I am off the tablets I'm getting back on the horse.

SO, you CAN do it anytime you want, though I would suggest going to a smoking ceaseation clinic. Good luck if you'd like some other support you're welcome to friend me. :flowerforyou:
  • My weakness is social smoking. Being around smokers makes me want to smoke. If I'm not around smokers, I don't care. Everyone's weakness is a little different. Smoking the occasional cig with friends is way better than smoking a pack a day.

That is so much better, and i completely agree. The problem is everyone i know smokes. i can't get away from it. So for me i would still be smoking all the time. I guess I just have to be a hermit for a few weeks ;) haha
  • I've been a smoker for a long time now. I started smoking at a very young age, way too young, in fact. I have tried to quit cold turkey about 4 years ago, and it worked for 3 months, then ...somehow, my addiction got the best of me. I've also tried the electronic cigarette and that didn't work either. I think what I really need is your opinion, and your success stories. I think hearing about other people journeys will motivate and inspire me. So, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I smoked for 10 years. I smoked while being active and fit for all ten years, Including one full season of playing college soccer (not advisable), six rugby union seasons and one Aussie Rules football season. I did Tough Mudders, rebel races, warrior dashes, half marathons, 5K's, 10K's, Turkey Trots. I didn't *think* it affected me for any of that time.

Then, in February of this year I quit cold turkey. I was just ready, I guess. Since I quit I've realized exactly how much smoking was affecting me.

Since quitting smoking I have:

- shaved a full two minutes off my mile time
    - finally started losing the fat around my waist
    - finally finished a full two hour Aussie Rules training without needing my inhaler
    - finally gotten really solid sleep (when I smoked I woke up throughout the night. I thought I was just a poor sleeper, turns out it was the nicotine, who knew?!)
    - not woken up feeling totally crummy once after a night out despite amount of alcohol consumed
    - not wheezed going up the four flights of stairs going up to my fourth floor walk-up apartment (when I smoked, I thought it was weird that someone as "fit" as I was was still wheezing going up stairs)
    - found other, more productive ways to deal with stress
    - made new connections with my fitness enthusiast friends because I no longer felt like I needed to hide my dirty little secret from them

The list goes on.You need to quit, and yes, you can. It's simultaneously the hardest and easiest thing you will ever do. Are you ready for the key ingredient in this though? You have to want it. You have to want to be smoke free for good. You have to want it more than anything you've ever wanted. You have to realize exactly what smoking is. It's a filthy nasty crutch of a habit that's impeding your growth, both fitness-wise and as a human being, every time you light up. You can do it girl! I believe in you.

wow! I'm happy that you quit and feel better now:) the thing that stuck out to me the most was the fact you lost more weight afterwards. This is what i want to do. The main reason I want to quit is because I know I cannot be healthy with smoking. I have lost 10 pounds, but it's taking me a lot longer to do because I just cannot find the motivation to exercise like i know i should. When i originally quit, i started boxing and running everyday, and the pounds just fell off. Now i just have to push myself back to that state of mind. Thank you for your help<3
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    I haven't yet but I'm planning to try... again! We can do it! ;)
  • Yes I have.

I am in my 11th week. I have smoked since I was 11 I am now 33, so 2/3 of my life. I have tried to quit cold turkey numerous times over the years without success this time I have taken the tablets Champix, I have had no ill effects and no physical cravings I can't beleive it's so easy....... I'm amazed.

I'm not particularly fit but what has happened is;

- I can breathe deeply
    - I can laugh/yawn without coughing
    - I can run upstairs without feeling like my hearts about to explode or I'm going to pass out
    - I don't smell horrible anymore
    - My muscles can't keep up with my breathing rather than the other way round.

However the down side is I've put back on 14 lbs in 11 weeks. This is not because I am replacing ciggerettes with food. I was sort of concentrating on the smoking aspect and ate and drank what I liked and didn't keep up my exercise, not really thinking about weight gain.
    Now I am off the tablets I'm getting back on the horse.

SO, you CAN do it anytime you want, though I would suggest going to a smoking ceaseation clinic. Good luck if you'd like some other support you're welcome to friend me. :flowerforyou:

ahh, I share your pain on that one. I started at the age of 12. Every one told me to stop, but hey, well you know how it goes... :noway: It is so good to hear all of your replies. It is really helpful to talk to people that have already went through the struggle of quiting. Some people have such a powerful mindset and can just stop at any time. This is not the case for me, as well as the people who posted. So if you can do it, I can do it:) Thank you very much and best of wishes to you. Here's to a new beginning :drinker:
  • asirak87
    asirak87 Posts: 11
    I haven't had a cigarette in like two weeks and although I really dont want one...... I have seriously seen an dramatic increase in my cravings for sweets... :-(
  • I haven't yet but I'm planning to try... again! We can do it! ;)

Yes we can!:smile:
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    I am a very heavy smoker and looking to give up very soon... You can chum me if you want xxxx
  • Mad4bullies
    Mad4bullies Posts: 14 Member
    I smoked a pack a day from age 16 to 29. I decided to quit before I turned 30 and went on Welbutrin to assist me quitting. I could not imagine my life without a cigarette in my hand. And now, 3 years later, I do get an urge once in a while, usually when I am out drinking with friends... But I remember how hard it was to become smoke free and just can't start that habit again...

I started jogging the same day I quit smoking.

You can do it. Just take it one minute at a time. The urge will pass.

Good luck!
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    I'm also trying to quit.....again. The only thing I have ever had any luck with is Chantix. It was wonderful! I quit for 5 months, had no cravings, hated the smell of smoke, and felt amazing, BUT as soon as I finished the Chantix I went right back to smoking like I had never quit. That was my 3rd round of Chantix and I have the same result every time.

I'm getting desperate, my son is almost 3 and is starting to ask questions about my cigarettes and my smoking and telling me I'm stinky when I come back in from having one. I REALLY want to quit, but my cravings get the best of me every time :cry:
  • MadtownMadisonian
    MadtownMadisonian Posts: 66 Member
    I quit about 4 1/2 years ago after smoking for most of the previous 35 years. Two things helped. First my doctor told me I was showing some signs of kidney stress due to high blood pressure, which scared the heck out of me, so I tossed my cigarettes at the end of that call. But then I kept off the cigs because, unlike previous times when I felt I was depriving myself by not smoking, this time somehow I felt like I had liberated myself from smoking. I was so so happy to be a non-smoker and when cravings hit, instead of resenting the fact that I couldn't smoke, I resented the cravings instead, as they were interfering with my joy at being a nonsmoker.

So it was all in the attitude change.

As to the cravings - they lasted for several weeks rather frequently. For the first week, I spent all my evenings with friends so I wouldn't be home alone. I also listened to "quit smoking, breathe deeply" relaxation tapes at night or when on flights for work. And, believe it or not, I *sang* songs to get through the cravings - just singing out loud (if alone) or under my breath would keep me busy until the craving passed.

I hope something magical happens to you too, to make it easier to quit. It feels incredibly good once you have. Looking back, I feel like every cigarette I smoked was just making me crave the next one. It never satisfied the craving - it only set me up for another craving in the near future. It was chaining me and I wanted to be free.
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    I've never been a smoker, my husband is though and I understand it's hard to quit. I do tobacco prevention for a living and I just attended a conference last week and learned so much! I know it'll be hard but it's the best thing for you to quit! For soooo many reasons. It's not worth it! You can do this!! I've heard Chantix really works if you are having a difficult time! Good luck, I know you'll feel so much better if you quit! Plus you'll have a lot more money to spend on new clothes! :)
  • sapabt
    sapabt Posts: 13 Member
    I started smoking in 1972, I had to be one of the "cool" kids. I finally quit for good in 1996. I tried the gum, patches, counseling, etc, nothing worked for me. I finally got tired of wheezing when I went upstairs at home, and quit cold turkey.

It was hard, my sister told me I got pretty cranky during the first 3-4 weeks of quitting.

The best part of quitting? All the bennies mentioned by the others here, plus I can now play a full 18 holes of gold without having to stop every other hole.

Good luck!

Cheers,
    bt
  • mschmalfuss
    mschmalfuss Posts: 28 Member
    When trying cold turkey after many years of smoking I always hit a wall at about 3-5 days. On Chantix I was good for about 6 months and then a poker party did me in. I'm now at just over 2 years having used the patch.

I did the first week wearing both a Step 1 patch and a Step 3 patch. That got me over the hardest part. After the first week I went to just the Step 1 patches for 6 weeks or so and then a month each of Step 2 and Step 3. It is longer than I think the plan calls for (56 days?) but it is still better and cheaper than smoking.

It took a few months before I quit getting an urge to smoke at the mere sight of others smoking but it wasn't too hard to get past and now I hardly ever think about it even when around people smoking.
  • dahoffman72
    dahoffman72 Posts: 2 Member
    Like many of the people here I smoked for about 30 years. While smoking I was a member of the military, and climbed mountains many above 20,000 feet; I never would admit I could have done more and better had I not smoked. I decided to quit when cigarettes began costing about $3.00 a pack. This was my main motivator, I was not going to spend that kind of money to kill myself. That was in Nov. 1999, since then I have not had a cigarette, nor any craving, I knew it was time to quit and it was easy. So I have (in 1999 dollars and costs) saved over $14,000, and my health is better than ever. For the first couple months avoiding all the normal triggers, Morning coffee, alcohol, and friends who smoke was hard, but running the stairs in my office everytime I wanted a smoke helped defray the urges. I guess my bottom line was when I decided it was what I really wanted to do it was not that hard, just have to stick it out and constantly remind yourself your a non smoker, and stick to your story. Good Luck you can do it.
  • bexxxster
    bexxxster Posts: 88 Member
    I smoked for 9 years and I got myself an electronic cigarette to help me quit. I've not had a cigarette for 7 weeks today! :) Not sure what else you could try if that didn't work for you though!
  • drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    I used the patch, I found it helpful, but kinda like quiting twice. Once the habit of smoking, and second the drug nictoine, but it worked so I can't complain. Good luck with it, it is worth it.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    I've been trying to quit for a while, too. I tend to chain smoke when I'm drinking, but when I'm sober I can't stand cigarettes. Weird, I know.

Anyway, I've been going through a rough patch and it's gotten out of hand. I woke up this morning thinking, "this has got to stop." Ill send you a friend request - maybe we can help each other.