Gelatin recommendations

Options
2»

Replies

• mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Whenever I buy a rotisserie chicken I throw the picked over carcass into my slow cooker and cook it overnight (in the garage so the house doesn't smell like a KFC outlet by morning.) And, like sunny_bunny, I freeze the results in ice cube trays.

I also use the Now Food Beef Gelatin Powder. It doesn't call itself grass fed or organic but it was the first one I could easily get my hands on. In future I'll do some more research. If I'm going to pay that much more for unflavored gelatin than the Knox stuff at the grocer, it might as well be the best. I'm still experimenting with the gelatin/water ratio when making my own sugar-free gelatin desserts. Not enough water and you can all but jump on the stuff like a trampoline; too much and it's runny.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I've made "bone broth" for decades from chicken/turkey carcasses for broth aka soup and freeze it. The glass jar seems it would work for freezing if it doesn't expand and crack. I store mine in a ziplock bag and thaw it in the fridge before using.

This. Any time I make a ham, turkey or chicken I make broth from the bones and freeze it. Often I make whole soups too. Just now I won't make them with noodles or rice. I don't seem to have enough beef bones at any given time to make beef broth