TEAM SIX

Options
hawkins410
hawkins410 Posts: 2,105 Member
Welcome to the "Amazing Race - Fall Fun!" Your Team Captain is @shauna30! We hope you have a fun filled
eight weeks!
:)

Replies

• GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,930 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Welcome all the new members to "The Amazing Race" challenge. This is only my second race. Plus I came in the last few weeks of the last one!

For all the newbies, my name is Jackie, I have been married for 13 years and am 55 years old. I live South of Seattle, relocated back after living 13 years in Las Vegas. My son and daughter plus my two grand children, almost 2 and 6 years old, lives about a hour from me.

I've been on MFP since 2011 reaching my goal weight a couple years ago. This past year I've put 10 pounds back on so my goal is to get back to maintenance. I love hiking, camping, running plus going to classes at the gym. Since retiring two years ago I've been able to watch and enjoy my grand kids grow.

My exercise of choice is running plus love Spinning and Aqus Fitness classes. I also recently got in yoga. I love getting my workouts on YouTube when I don't get a chance to make the gym!!!!

I've done a few 5k's a couple half marathons and recently did my first 10k race!

I did add some on our team since some I've been in other challenges with. Let's start this race with a bang! Free free to add me, if I haven't, :)
  • GrandmaJackie
    edited October 2016
    Options

Team information

The Race… each minute of exercise = 1 mile in the race. Let me say that one thing I learned from the last race is that, while exercise minutes matter, it is the mini-challenges that matter the most. Our team cheerleader in the last race was kind of a math/stats nut and during one week posted a comparison… it would take the team 7 hours, 48 minutes of exercise to get 10 points; whereas, one person, doing one 30-minute mini challenge, would also earn 10 points. The challenges are designed to accommodate injuries, etc., so we really need everyone to be striving to knock those out!

Entering your daily minutes, challenges, etc… please, please, please, get your minutes entered daily if at all possible. As with most MFP group challenges, we utilize a Google Sheets spreadsheet. If you don’t have access or use a computer much, you can download Google Sheets for iOS or Android devices. I use an Android phone and have an iPad and don’t have an issue using the spreadsheet on either. If you’re not able to enter into the spreadsheet, then “phone” them in by posting on the Team thread and one of your teammates can enter for you.
  • scarletspy
    scarletspy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    HI!

I'm Theresa and I'm a race newbie. I'm 32 and I live in Scotland. I'm a carer for my grandmother. I have 2 adorable shih tzus, 2 cats and a royal python. I've been on my weight loss journey for about 6 years now. At first I lost a bunch of weight (about 45lbs) then I plateaued for a long time. Fell of the health wagon a bunch and seemed to be gaining and losing the same 10 lbs. All in all I've lost 55 lbs or so but I've still got a way to go :smile:

I've been suffering from instability in my shoulder for a couple of years now and have been diagnosed with hyper mobility syndrome which has caused a lot of joint issues. I've kind of been avoiding exercise because of pain, etc. I was told I'd be getting shoulder surgery but after 4 months on the waiting list, a different surgeon said no and said it's going to take me at least a year of physio to get my shoulder fixed. He recommended that I exercise more and try to build as much muscle as I can. I though this challenge would help motivate me in that direction :smile:.

Exercise wise I tend to stick to my bike or walking. I have to avoid things like yoga because of my HMS and I can't really do much weight lifting right now due to my shoulder instability and tennis elbow but I'm looking forward to losing weight and getting stronger!
  • shauna30
    shauna30 Posts: 741 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hello team! I'm excited to be your captain and keep our team motivated and moving toward first place. I've participated in several rounds of the Amazing Race and am happy that our team has a secret weapon, @GrandmaJackie . She joined my team part way through the last challenge and is amazing! With her help, we will have no trouble reaching our destinations. The great thing is that after we make it there, any miles (exercise minutes) we go beyond our destination, will be bonus points.

Another exciting thing for me is that I have my mom @bloveless on our team (back from the last challenge) and have convinced my aunt @lewiann and two of my closest friends @suzieharmon2016 and @adijones to join us. I know several of you were recruited by @GrandmaJackie. I can't wait to get to know you all and love that we already have an international team (welcome @scarletspy) We are going to be one big happy worldwide family!

Here are a few tips for the race.
    1. Do the challenges. Just like @GrandmaJackie explained, the challenges make a huge difference in our points. If you think the challenge won't work for your health situation, PLEASE MODIFY and do it your own way. I've had a stress fracture for the last 6 months and am finally getting back to my favorite thing, running. During the last race, I modified the challenges and was able to complete them all. (Several involved me jumping around on one foot while I was trying to do the dancing videos :wink: )
    2. If you have a hard time logging into the spreadsheet, send a message to @MissionEnforcer and ask to have your email address added to the sheets. I can always log into the spreadsheets from a computer but they don't work well if I try to log in from my phone. When I had @MissionEnforcer add my email to the spreadsheet, I didn't have that problem and could get in from my phone just fine. Just make sure you install the sheets app on your phone. If you still have problems, post here and I'll keep the spreadsheet updated.
    3. When a challenge asks you to tag @MissionEnforcer to get credit for completing a challenge, use the @ sign and then type missionenforcer. This will tag him and alert him that you posted so he can validate your challenge points.
    4. Post on our team thread (this thread.) Like I said before, I've done several races and the teams that do the best cheer one another along. Know that if you are typing on your phone and the screen rotates, you will have to start typing again. I don't know why MyFitnessPal does that. Also, if you want to edit your response, you have one hour to do so. After that, you can't edit. If you want to add pictures, you can from an iPhone but not an android (you'll have to use a desktop.)

@hawkins410 and @MissionEnforcer are amazing challenge leaders and we are spoiled to have them putting this together. I can't wait to see you all at the start line tomorrow night!
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hi everyone. I found this challenge through a MFP friend (though she is on another team) I am brand new to it but very excited to be apart of it. My name is Sylvia. I live in the southern US, in Georgia. I turn 31 in December and am a sahm to two beautiful children, a 3 year old girl and 7 year old boy. I homeschool so my days are pretty busy but I always manage to make it work. I actually love to work out these days. I've currently lost 45lbs and need to lose approximately 50 more. I love running, yoga, kickboxing, anything that involves water, circuit training and zumba, although I'm willing to try just about anything thrown at me. I'm very determined and never give up when I set my mind to something. I never met a challenge that I won't at least try and give my all to, even if I'm not so great at it or don't come in first, I'll always at least try with 100% I can't wait to see what is in store for us. Nice to meet you all! :smile:
  • scrapbookingtm
    scrapbookingtm Posts: 1,916 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hello! My name is Alisa and I was recruited by Jackie. I am 58 years old and live in the Salt Lake Valley, Utah. Sad that snow will be here soon (already in the tops of the mountains) because my favorite exercise is hiking. I have been married for 40 years, have 7 children and 15 grandchildren. My life is very busy as I own my own scrapbook store. I met my goal last April just to backslide this last year and am starting again. I definitely need help in the maintenance department! Can't wait to start!
  • MonicaA2013
    MonicaA2013 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    HELLO everyone !!! My name is Monica. I have been married to my Husband for 8 yrs and will be celebrating our 14 yrs together this week. I am a MOM to 3 kids and Grandma to 3 grand-darlings. My kids age range from almost 26 - just turned 18. My GD's are 5 yrs x2 ( 5months apart) and 10 months.

My weight problem stated about 13 yrs ago when I went through a tough miscarriage. I just recently put the two situations together. After that ordeal I never lost what little I had gained and slowly added to it until I had out an extra 55-60 pounds on. THEN 3 yrs ago I went to my Grand-daughters second Birthday party and saw the pics of myself and was so devastated by what I saw I had to do something. NEVER in my life had I been so heavy with the exception of being PG. SO I had already kicked the nasty habit of smoking a yr before, and at that moment, I was going to make the change for myself and my grand babies to be a healthier ME. SO here I am <45> pounds lighter and trying to FINALLY get down to my NEW goal weight. I have <10> pound left.

I am ALSO in the Biggest Loser Challenge with @GrandmaJackie . She was the one who posted the notice for this challenge and I just HAD to follow it..LOL

I am REALLY looking forward to making this a FUN RUN. I enjoy walking , running and MOST of all HIKING with my hubby. SO lets get this party started !!!
  • GrandmaJackie
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Nice to see Monica, Alisa and Erica plus looking forward to meeting Sylvia, Teresa during our journey. We have a few more, hopefully they're introduce themselves too!

When I was given the chance to be on @Shanua30 team, I jumped at the chance! As you can see, we're in good hands!!!!!

Our first destination is Leavenworth, it's such a fabulous town in Washington State. That's the first town, we lived in when we moved to Washington, years ago. Actually my daughters's spending next weekend there, fun, fun, fun.

I'm excited to see where this challenge brings us! Good luck everyone!
  • scarletspy
    scarletspy Posts: 170 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Could any of the returning members fill us newbies in on what kind of things to expect from the mini challenges?
  • GrandmaJackie
    edited October 2016
    Options
    :)
  • shauna30
    shauna30 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    The challenges always tie into our destination and rarely repeat. Usually a video to dance along with or try a new form of exercise like tail chi. It could be a challenge to drink a certain amount of water a day for 5 out of 7 days or a stair climbing challenge. They are all different and some are easier than others.
  • TrkyVic0327
    TrkyVic0327 Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Hello all!
    My name is Vicki. I live in Ohio and am a stay at home mom to one awesome 9 year old daughter. I school her at home, and am loving this season in my life right now as mommy and supportive wife.

My weight loss journey has been up and down since having my daughter 9 years ago. Lowest I got was right before a cruise in 2012, but I lost it unhealthily and didn't really change any of my habits. I gained it all back and then some. The beginning of this year, I started at the biggest and most unhealthy I've ever been. I decided that I wanted to make a lifestyle change, but knew that I couldn't do it alone. My awesome, supportive family decided to join me! So, as a family we have cut the junk and have attempted to live a healthy lifestyle with as much clean eating and daily moving as possible. Every day, I learn something new and love exploring new foods that I never thought in a million years I would like! I've lost 14 pounds since January, and have many many more to lose. I focus more on how I feel and inches loss than on the weight as I am a very slow loser.

I prefer to do workout videos at home and am currently doing a lot of body weight exercises.

I came to this challenge through Jackie as well and am so excited to be on her team! I look forward to running this race with y'all!

~ Vicki
  • beginforthelasttime16
    Options
    Hi team!

My name is Lauren, I'm 27, and I live in Northern Kentucky about 10 minutes from Cincinnati, Ohio.

I have a desk job so being active during those times can be challenging for me! This October I'm recalibrating after a terrible September where the stress of life led to me regaining 9 pounds. So I'm saying goodbye to that 9 pounds and then I have a little under 40 more to get to my first goal! My weight has been a challenge in my mid to late twenties after some trauma. I used my fat as a protective shield and it's way past time to shed that cushion and take back my life and body!

I'm very competitive and can't wait for the new challenges!
  • TrkyVic0327
    TrkyVic0327 Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    @beginforthelasttime16 Hi, Lauren! I live in southern Ohio near Dayton. It's cool to see someone near me on these challenges!
  • Maalea
    Maalea Posts: 16,119 Member
    Options
    Hi Team,
    I am Malea, 43, and I am from Vienna in Austria. I came here because of a post from @GrandmaJackie , too.
    I work at a local university, teaching finance and other quantitative stuff.

Since I joined MFP, and especially the various challenges, my activity level has increased dramatically. I can do things now that I never thought I could manage before. Unfortunately, I did not have the same success with losing weight, I tend to sabotage myself and gain it back again. But I am learing more and more helpful things, and I know that in the end I will succeed.

My favorite workout is hiking (I love long-distance trekking vacations, just had one this summer in northern Sweden - it was great!), walking and riding the bike. I try to go to the gym 2-3 times in a week and do some DVD and youtube workouts at home. I just got a tablet, so youtube videos should be much easier to follow than on the small screen of my mobile phone. :D

Looking forward to fun challenge!
  • mindylk
    mindylk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am Mindy from Oklahoma!! I'm looking forward to this challenge and hoping to get in better shape and lose some weight I've gained the past couple months. Looking forward to get to know our team!!
  • GrandmaJackie
    Options

*****I've been wanting to post this but keep forgetting, :) Do we want to vote on a team name ****
  • GrandmaJackie
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Here's a link to the spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sRqt4GvOnfbAztyZcNaolQQoCAX5SRCZHabOfAKUZec/edit#gid=1480039755
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WEEK ONE: RACING TO REYKJAVIK

CHALLENGE #1: “Let’s Say Halló in Iceland!” (10 pts.)
    1.Friend each of your teammates. If they don’t accept your request, try again. Make sure you put a heading in your request, such as “Amazing Race - Fall Fun!”, we are team mates! If after two tries over the course of the entire week, they do not reply, inform your Team Captain. YOU will NOT be penalized if you do not get an acceptance!

2. Tag @MissionEnforcer

3. State what town/province/state/country you are from and give a brief description of where you live (pictures are fun, but not necessary).

We have a multi-national group and we’d like to learn about you!
    Halló!

CHALLENGE #2: “Drum to a Viking Beat!” (10 points)
    To summarize:

[*] Viking Chant/Geyser Dance: Three times through
    [*] YouTube Videos: 3 Videos, 2x each
    [*] One routine to your own music and your own beat (or just repeat the 3 videos)

AS ALWAYS, YOU MAY COUNT THE MINUTES SPENT ON THE CHALLENGES TOWARD YOUR EXERCISE MILES/MINUTES!

CHALLENGE #3: “Fill Up at the Foss!” (5 points)

To earn your five points for this challenge, you need to drink one-half your bodyweight in ounces per day, for at least 5 out of the 7 days this week.

Points for this challenge can not be given until at least Friday.

You know, 5 out of 7 days.
  • bloveless
    bloveless Posts: 34 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hi I'm excited to participate in another Amazing Race. My daughter Shauna got me involved in the last race and I REALLY had a great time competing in the challenges, trying new foods, trying new ways to exercise and getting to know our team members. I've been married for 42 years, have 5 beautiful children and 24 lovely grandkids. I live about 35 miles west of Salt Lake City, Utah in a small town called Grantsville. I've worked at our local police department for 26 years and I'm really looking forward to retiring in a year and a half then I can spend more time with my family! I'm happy to be a member of team 6 and thrilled to have Shauna as our team captain, she's a GREAT leader (I can say that because she's my daughter) but you'll all soon find out as we support and cheer each other on!! Go team go!