Face and Neck Skin Care

Options

Replies

• bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I haven't been wearing makeup much lately. This weekend was the first time in over a month that I've worn makeup. I've also started using the Oil Cleansing Method which you can find a lot of information about online, mostly beauty or natural living blogs. I wash my face daily with 25% castor oil, 75% other oil, plus a few drops essential oils. At first I tried sweet almond oil as the other oil, that was ok. Now I'm trying jojoba oil which I like better. I am currently using lavender and tea tree EO and I like those but I'm looking forward to experimenting with different ones in the future. Castor oil is antibacterial and really helps with dissolving stubborn dirt and oil buildup but it is very drying which is why you need another more moisturizing oil. My skin is combination which I really sensitive dry spot near my nose so I do less castor oil than someone with oily skin would do. Also, if my mix gets a little too drying (too much castor) then I just touch up the dry spots with a blend of coconut oil and essential oils on those troublesome spots.

Anyways, it keeps my skin very clean and moisturized which has greatly improved the clarity of my skin and even out my complexion. Also, it has thickened my eyebrows and eye lashes a bit (I make a point to massage the lashes and eyebrows for several minutes by themselves).
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    When Rowdy and I met I was wearing make up for work and of course because he and I were new. About 3 months in he says to me "I can't stand make up on women". I stopped wearing it and haven't looked back! So freeing! I am so prone to break outs that the idea of "oil" scares me, even coconut oil. I did buy collagen powder - OH! I put it in Rowdy's tea when I made it this morning and it's all cloudy. I am not sure he'll drink it - it is tasteless as I tried it in water already but the tea looks gross now. Anywho... I also got the silica caps that were recommended above. Going to give the internal stuff a try since the external stuff doesn't seem to be working. I took a pic on Friday and we'll see what happens in a month I suppose!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Rowdys I have days where I go to work with zero makeup too, but I do bring it with me just in case someone schedules me into some sort of bigwig meeting or something! I have Rosacea so people are just going to deal with me looking like Pikachu half the time.

As far as creams go I don't use anything great or grand, I use Curel "ultra healing" because I like how soft my skin feels after I put it on, and use it every morning and night. Gold bond makes a nice cream too. Vasoline is another underrated product.

I find that it's not the product that you use, but the AMOUNT of times you use it that's important. If you only put on sunblock once a day and spend all day outdoors, you get hit with UV rays once it wears off. So you have to keep slathering it on throughout the day (or at least I do anyway). I also only get foundation with SPF in it, this one is my favorite so far:

http://www.ulta.com/outlast-stay-fabulous-3-in-1-foundation?productId=xlsImpprod4930113

Also - drink water, water water. You gotta keep your skin hydrated to keep it in top shape :) Low carb in itself seems to have improved both my hair and my skin too.
  • coloradoartstudio
    coloradoartstudio Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I used to be a Lancome user...but have simplified everything.

I love using coconut oil around my eyes. I've been using the Alba Botanica (with sea kelp) line for facial care. It does have a fragrance though.

I've never heard of ingesting collagen or silica - I'll have to check that out. At 50, my skin is starting to show its age - especially in the décolletage area. I'm a side sleeper and I wake up with wrinkles on my chest every morning that seem to even out within a few hours.
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    I used to be a Lancome user...but have simplified everything.

I love using coconut oil around my eyes. I've been using the Alba Botanica (with sea kelp) line for facial care. It does have a fragrance though.

I've never heard of ingesting collagen or silica - I'll have to check that out. At 50, my skin is starting to show its age - especially in the décolletage area. I'm a side sleeper and I wake up with wrinkles on my chest every morning that seem to even out within a few hours.

I've heard a lot of people here talking about collagen for lots of things. I decided a while back I needed to get Rowdy on it for his arthritis to see if it helps. I was giving him pills but when I ran out I bought the powder. So I'm drinking that in my BPC each morning now (just started this weekend). I am hoping that by putting the collagen in Rowdy's tea that he drinks every day he'll start to feel better and not even realize why...Except I made a new batch of tea today and the freaking collagen turned the tea from a lovely tea color to a washed out chocolate milk color. And of course the tea container is clear glass. He is pretty good about eating whatever I give him but I'm not sure how he's going to take to his tea being such a gross color... I wouldn't want to drink it and I know the collagen adds no flavor what so ever as I tried it in water already.

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I keep forgetting to actually take my collagen. I too feel like losing my double chin left me with some loose neck skin. Some days I ignore it and others I kind of obsess over it to be honest. I've never found any sort of face cream to do much and honestly believe most are a scam. While my obsession over my neck is pretty vain I'm usually not that type. I'm kind of lazy so other than lip gloss I don't even wear make-up most days. Just the weekend or if I'm going to an event. At 38 I'm definitely seeing a few wrinkles and such but it's not as bad as it could be. My only real issues are the neck and also the crease between my eyebrows. I've had that for years though because I have really light eyes and I'm very sensitive to light so I squint a lot.
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    @anglyn1 because I take so many supplements already for my RNY surgery years back it's easy to remember one more in my coffee. I am kinda the same way - some days I don't even think about it. I think when I'm feeling less secure in myself I notice things like the bags and the waddle. I have always had a fear of not being quite good enough and when that creeps in I see all the imperfections. I really noticed this stuff when I realized how far off the Keto track I'd become and thus feeling inferior again. Trying to feel better about myself for sure, in general.

It's kinda amazing how much one is willing to say about one's self on a mostly anonymous forum...yep....I feel inferior often at times. There, I said it. Goes back to always being a fat kid that never had friends, methinks... Even though as an adult I conquered most of it...
  • jassnip
    jassnip Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    @RowdysLady look up the Fasciablaster by Ashley Black.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    @RowdysLady I think it's normal to feel inferior. At least I hope so! lol.
  • coloradoartstudio
    coloradoartstudio Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

LOL. I had to google that term just to be sure of the reference. I have always been one to be somewhat "modest" in my attire and have found as I age (62) I am a little more modest just because nothing is as cute, pretty, attractive @ 62 as it was at 25,35,45,55. I'm content at 62. Some are better, some are worse. I am, what I am. Nothing wrong with striving to be the best one can be though. Taking care of oneself is important.

Teehee - I am going through the "change"...hot flashes and all! I'm sure my neighbors were appalled this summer because I rocked a tank top every day. I can't stand to have a collar close to my neck and prefer scoop necks and other loose collars. The bonus of being 50+ pounds over weight is that I have b**bs for the first time ever. I hesitate to think what's going to happen to them when I lose the weight. :D
    RowdysLady wrote: »

I've heard a lot of people here talking about collagen for lots of things. I decided a while back I needed to get Rowdy on it for his arthritis to see if it helps. I was giving him pills but when I ran out I bought the powder. So I'm drinking that in my BPC each morning now (just started this weekend). I am hoping that by putting the collagen in Rowdy's tea that he drinks every day he'll start to feel better and not even realize why...Except I made a new batch of tea today and the freaking collagen turned the tea from a lovely tea color to a washed out chocolate milk color. And of course the tea container is clear glass. He is pretty good about eating whatever I give him but I'm not sure how he's going to take to his tea being such a gross color... I wouldn't want to drink it and I know the collagen adds no flavor what so ever as I tried it in water already.

Good to know...my husband is a candidate for knee replacement down the line due to long ago high school soccer injuries - he has practically no cartilage left. He limps after over use now. I'm going to slip him some to see if it helps.

• RowdysLady
    Options
    @jassnip have you used this tortuous looking piece of equipment? (for the mere price of $90.00)
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    How often do you guys take your collagen?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I guess the silica part means I need to start taking my diatomaceous earth again... It's not like I have an unopened 5 pound bag laying around... LOL
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    I'm taking the collagen (right now) once a day - two heaping tablespoons- in my coffee. However, because of my surgery I may find that I need more. We shall see.

@KnitOrMiss - five pounds!?!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I guess the silica part means I need to start taking my diatomaceous earth again... It's not like I have an unopened 5 pound bag laying around... LOL

I was going to start taking this also. What's the best way? It doesn't dissolve, right? I was thinking of mixing it with something, but can't think of anything.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Do you think the collagen in the bone broth is enough??
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »

I was going to start taking this also. What's the best way? It doesn't dissolve, right? I was thinking of mixing it with something, but can't think of anything.

@Cadori - I just stir it up with some water (4 oz or so to 1 heaping TBSP, but start slowly)...and chug, refill the cup a bit, swish and chug...until mostly clear. Works fine for me. Tasteless. Texture is okay if decently suspending in the water.

@RowdysLady - I was taking it regularly before I moved and the 5 pound bag was only like $2 more than the 1 pound bag of food grade, and I brought it to work so I wouldn't have to move it...and it's still here...at work. I need to start taking it right before I leave for the day. Least interference.

Might trying using it as a facial peel thing, too. Said to mix up to paste, apply, let dry, wash off in circular motion with wash cloth. I just hate anything that makes my face remotely drippy unless in the shower. I wig if water drips all down my arms. Dunno why...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    And y'all all know collagen is best taken on an empty stomach, right? For absorption/use, rather than to be digested?
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    And y'all all know collagen is best taken on an empty stomach, right? For absorption/use, rather than to be digested?

But if it's powdered...it needs to go into something to take it, right? And Rowdy is drinking the tea!! Yay!!! I know he will never have it with just water. I could and will if needed.

The silica, @Cadori, I bought in caplet form so I'm taking 4 of those with the 4 of everything else I take each day.