Repeating weeks or pushing through?

Options
HaleCry
HaleCry Posts: 387 Member
So, I finished week 4 today. Still checking the time through the run and feeling relieved when it's time to walk.
My question is, it's the dreaded 20 minute run a week from now. Should I do next week and do W5D2 on day 3 and skip the 20 minute run, and repeat week 5 the week after and do the 20minute run on that Friday instead? Or should I push through and try the 20 minute run next Friday?

Sorry if that doesn't make sense..

Replies

• Rinde99
    Rinde99 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    All depends on how you're feeling, but if you think the 20 is too much then go with your 1st plan. I felt like the 20 was just too big of a jump for me so I started an alternative plan which builds far more slowly. The C25k plan had me running 20 last Friday on the 21st whereas with my new plan I don't run it until 11/28. I prefer the additional time to get my heart, lungs, muscles, tendons, and ligaments stronger, but it's all about what works best for you. There's certainly no harm done in repeating a week.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    running is 95% in your head, so if you're waiting for , or expecting the walk break, maybe thats why you are happy to walk? doesnt mean you couldnt push on if you had to.

doesnt sound like you're really struggling, carry on as you are
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    HaleCry wrote: »
    So, I finished week 4 today. Still checking the time through the run and feeling relieved when it's time to walk.
    My question is, it's the dreaded 20 minute run a week from now. Should I do next week and do W5D2 on day 3 and skip the 20 minute run, and repeat week 5 the week after and do the 20minute run on that Friday instead? Or should I push through and try the 20 minute run next Friday?

Sorry if that doesn't make sense..

At this stage in the plan 20 minutes is physically achievable for you, the hurdle for most people is the psychological. By now you've done more than 20 minutes with a very brief rest in the middle. So this should be easier than you've already done.

I've been there myself, when I was doing C25K 20 minutes was intimidating. It doesn't go away, the first time I did 13 miles was intimidating, as was the first time over 20 miles, and more than a marathon.

Go for it, you're ready.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    try to do it first.if you can't just keep repeating it until you succeed. like everyone else i was dreading it too, but i kept telling myself i can do it, and i did manage it the 1st time i attempted it.
  • angelahammon
    angelahammon Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I truly thought i would not be able to run for 20 mins when i was on that same week, i was given good advice in push through and do it but slow your pace down, and it really did help, the achievement you will feel when you have completed the 20 mins will be incredible , if you do it and you feel you can't go on just slow down , I'm sure you will surprise yourself, good luck!!
  • Eliz_99
    Eliz_99 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I would push through and do it. This is the second time for me doing c25k and I remember thinking I couldn't possibly run for 20 mins but I slowed my pace right down and got through it. I'm currently on week 4 and looking at the time left but I think it's mostly in my head.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    HaleCry wrote: »
    I DID IT! I JUST RAN FOR 20 MINUTES WITHOUT STOPPING! I was only doing 3.5mph but I did it!

:flowerforyou:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Well done