November Q and A thread

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    What's wrong with that?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,363 MFP Moderator
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Hmmm I need to figure out the secret to get a SS response video. Although I suspect the video would simply be Patrick mooning me.

Would you prefer dick pics?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    Hmmm I need to figure out the secret to get a SS response video. Although I suspect the video would simply be Patrick mooning me.

Was that an offer?
  • psuLemon
    SideSteel wrote: »

Was that an offer?

Is this a request?

Side note, you would not believe how many dick, *kitten*, and tit pics are posted on this forum.
  • SideSteel

Was that an offer?

Is this a request?

Side note, you would not believe how many dick, *kitten*, and tit pics are posted on this forum.

Lol.

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member

Would I ever!
  • DopeItUp

Was that an offer?

Is this a request?

Sorry about that bro, I like to share the joy.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    This is not what I envisaged when I asked my question, but I'm in :D
  • psuLemon
    edited November 2016

Was that an offer?

Is this a request?

Don't worry, the girl mods enjoy your pics, just like your Deadlift question for Men only thread had me rollin'. And BTW, everytime I DL now, they suffer because this thread always pops into my head.

ETA: We just may have a rating system, and potentially a collage.
  • DopeItUp

Was that an offer?

Is this a request?

Don't worry, the girl mods enjoy your pics, just like your Deadlift question for Men only thread had me rollin'. And BTW, everytime I DL now, they suffer because this thread always pops into my head.

ETA: We just may have a rating system, and potentially a collage.

Thank you for the kind words. I'll keep doing what I do best - genital-based humor. You can never go wrong!
  • psuLemon
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    Morning Mr Steel

My question is probably one of the easiest questions you will be asked and also one that is commonly thrown around in the forums with many different answers provided. I hope you don't mind me asking you. Basically I want to know how much to eat once the weight loss brakes are put on? I've gone from 187lbs to 170lbs. Feel free to tell me I may want to consider losing more before I switch - I'm not sensitive to being advised.

I have spent a year successfully losing weight, amending my diet, doing the cardio etc. I know I am eating the right sort of foods, just probably not enough. PT has set a new programme a month ago focusing on heavy weights and advising me to stick with the classes I already do. Weight loss has been minimal which is cool but I'm not adding any muscle. My gym has the benefit of Boditrax (which measures body fat, muscle weight and lots of other variables as well as weight) and I can see I am not adding muscle, in fact this week muscle is down. I have heard all sorts of advise about eating 50% of burned calories and making sure I'm 5% over, 10% over, 15% over etc. Getting the maintenance calorie setting must be paramount. So..
    Do I set the goal on here at zero weightloss to get my maintenance calorie figure?
    Macros are at 45% carb / 25% fat / 30% protein?
    Do I need to alter my diet on days I go to the gym and rest days?

Apologies if these questions are painfully easy for you. There are a lot of answers out there but not much consistency and you are certainly the smartest fella I have seen in the forums so wanted to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for accepting friend request - great profile you have :)

You may need to provide more information. Do you know how many calories you are eating now? Do you use a food scale to track calories and do you log daily? What are your goals?
  • psuLemon
    Are the Les Mills classes the one your PT has you on? Or are these supplemental to your lifting program?
  • SideSteel
    Video reply incoming soon.
  • SideSteel
    https://youtu.be/qE3HiMSd7-A

This may not provide all the answers but I hope it leads you in the right direction.
  • SideSteel
    https://youtu.be/qE3HiMSd7-A

This may not provide all the answers but I hope it leads you in the right direction.

Wow - really appreciate you taking the time to talk me through it. Really helpful and I appreciate that there are a lot of variables as everyone is individual. That is very helpful. Think I'll set cals at maintenance (according to mfp) and just work harder with weights and classes and review my stats on Boditrax in 4 weeks time and see if I need to amend. You are right about the 'fat free mass' that is one of the indicators that it uses.

I actually don't struggle a massive amount in sticking to my diet so I'll try keep my intake consistent. One final little question and respect it may vary from person to person - eating back calories. For example - If I burn 300 cals at boxing tonight would you say eat 50% back or leave them alone or eat em all

It depends-- you should just keep track of total average intake and how your weight changes and adjust from there.

So for example if you don't eat them back and you start losing weight, add more calories.

• SideSteel
    I find it easier to not eat back exercise calories however if you choose that method you would just be eating to a slightly higher goal
  • SideSteel
    Bit of trial and error process coming up - cheers for the advice. Have a great weekend sir :)

You too, thanks. And yes it's some trial and error and educated guesswork. Just make sure you keep the big picture stuff in mind -- train hard, make progress in the gym, keep your total calories somewhere near where they should be for your goals and make sure you get a reasonable amount of protein. If you can get those big picture items met you'll be doing better than most.
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    I remember a while ago you mentioned in passing about how you were doing trap bar deads (due to injury? I forget). How'd that go? Favorable? Would it be something you recommend or nah? Would you classify it like a pseudo-squat like I've read on some websites? What about for someone with probably worse than average hip immobility/ hamstring tightness that has much difficulty in keep a flat back on a regular or even sumo DL? (*kitten*, I'm old. 46 going on 90 some days, I swear.)
  • SideSteel
    dandur wrote: »
    I remember a while ago you mentioned in passing about how you were doing trap bar deads (due to injury? I forget). How'd that go? Favorable? Would it be something you recommend or nah? Would you classify it like a pseudo-squat like I've read on some websites? What about for someone with probably worse than average hip immobility/ hamstring tightness that has much difficulty in keep a flat back on a regular or even sumo DL? (*kitten*, I'm old. 46 going on 90 some days, I swear.)

I actually haven't gotten into trap bar pulling myself, but based on what you're telling me it's possible that trap bar pulling would be a better fit for you. I don't know a ton about the movement but the main difference is that the load is closer to your center of mass in a trap bar deadlift and there isn't a barbell getting in the way of your body. This would likely reduce the moment arm on the lumbar, I would think.

You'd also likely be slightly less bent over at the waist in a trap bar deadlift and probably have slightly more forward knee travel.

So considering these things I'd say yes, it's probably a bit more squat-like, at least compared to a barbell deadlift. Less posterior chain dominant anyways.
This discussion has been closed.