I HATE maltitol!

Options
13»

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    Gummy bears... any sugar free brand....ohhhhh the misery.... But I love them so.....

@RowdysLady...why not just make some for yourself at home? I do. They have since morphed from being gummy bears into being gummy candies that have larger more substantial shapes because it's easier to get the heated liquid mixture of water and sugar-free gelatin into larger silicon molds.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    great idea @ladipoet. I've always been a baker and a cooker but not much of a candy maker - that should be my first attempt!
  • ladipoet
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    great idea @ladipoet. I've always been a baker and a cooker but not much of a candy maker - that should be my first attempt!

@RowdysLady...this is one of the simplest, easiest recipes to make. Get yourself a decent silicon candy mold (I like the ones from fat dadios (http://fatdaddios.com/catalog/silicone-candy-molds)) and some plastic dropper pipettes (https://www.amazon.com/BRAND-NEW-LIQUID-DROPPERS-Multipurpose/dp/B01IAE8WZ2/ref=sr_1_14?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1478580335&sr=1-14&keywords=plastic+dropper+pipettes).

Gummy Candy Recipe: makes approximately 14 gummy candies using the mold size I linked to above

4.1-4.2 ounces water
    17g sugar-free gelatin, your preferred flavor (can use more or less gelatin to taste)
    12g collagen hydrolysate (optional)

(1) In small frying pan combine sugar-free gelatin, collagen if using, and water.
    (2) Begin stirring immediately after adding water and turn heat on medium.
    (3) Stir until well dissolved and mixture starts to bubble.
    (3) Immediately reduce heat to low and using large eye-dropper, fill silicon candy molds with candy mixture. NOTE: be sure to put a hard surface (like a small cutting board or cookie sheet) underneath the candy mold prior to filling with the liquid otherwise you will spill the contents all over everything as soon as you pick up the mold to move it.
    (4) Place in refrigerator to solidify for at least 3-4 hours before attempting to remove from the mold. Leaving them in the fridge overnight works wonderfully.
    (5) Pop gummy candies out of silicon mold and store in refrigerator or freezer.
    (6) Enjoy!!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @ladipoet where do you get collagen hydrolysate? I take it it just makes the gummies more chewy??
  • ladipoet
    Options
    @canadjineh...you can get collagen hyrolysate several places, but here is the brand I use:

http://greatlakesgelatin.com/storefront/

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Lakes-Gelatin-Collagen-Hydrolysate/dp/B005KG7EDU/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1478654120&sr=8-2&keywords=collagen+hydrolysate

https://thrivemarket.com/great-lakes-gelatin-collagen-hydrolysate

The collagen doesn't do anything as far as te texture of the gummy candy goes (although it does give the end results of the gummy candy more protein per serving which, for me, is a good thing). I just like to hide extra good stuff in some of my cooking efforts. lol ;)

The cheapest I've been able to find this particular brand of collage is either by buying it directly from the company (the 8 pound bag) or getting it through Thrive Market.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    thanks ladipoet!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    My Office just received a Purdy's catalog for the holidays and they had some No Sugar Added chocolates.

In the description, it says (sweetened with natural, plant based Malitol) and I burst out laughing.

They forgot to add 'diarrhea inducing' to the description. :D
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    @samanthaluangphixay you should sample some sweets if your office orders any, to keep to one side for some cheap constipation meds lol
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    @samanthaluangphixay you should sample some sweets if your office orders any, to keep to one side for some cheap constipation meds lol

I just bought these work pants...I don't want to soil them so soon LOL
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    My Office just received a Purdy's catalog for the holidays and they had some No Sugar Added chocolates.

In the description, it says (sweetened with natural, plant based Malitol) and I burst out laughing.

They forgot to add 'diarrhea inducing' to the description. :D

Good catch! How about...
    Sweetened with unnatural, petroleum-based Malitol, a diarrhea-inducing Superflatulate thats helps you blow through the sh¡t in your work day.
  • ladipoet
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Good catch! How about...
    Sweetened with unnatural, petroleum-based Malitol, a diarrhea-inducing Superflatulate thats helps you blow through the sh¡t in your work day.

Catchy marketing description, don't you think?! LOL :D
  • RalfLott
    edited November 2016
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Good catch!
    How about...

Sweetened with unnatural, petroleum-based Malitol, a diarrhea-inducing Superflatulate that helps you blow through the sh¡t in your work day.

Catchy marketing description, don't you think?! LOL :D

In the hands of a good marketing team, anything can sell.*
    (I won't litter the page with recent examples....)

It's honesty and straight facts that kill products, which is why you can't hear the disclaimers on drug ads on the tube, nor read them in print ads.

My all-time fave honest ad:
    "Metamucil: It helps you go to the toilet. If you don't use it, you'll get cancer and die."

(from Crazy People:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099316/)

https://youtu.be/SYtd7huRJJA

*The best trick of all is to spend a ton of money over the course of years working up some idiot slogan that says nothing at all but gets imaginations and libidos revving.

Like, "Oh, what a feeling - Toyota!"

Thus:

Kid: Mommy, I'm feeling really bad Toyota.

Mom: Timmy, remember we talked about describing your feelings, not just naming them after foreign cars. What are you really feeling?

Kid: Somebody pooped in my pants.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Years ago I made my own mistake with a "healthy" snack that contained inulin before boarding a plane. Guess what...gas expands under low pressure...3 hours of hell...never again.

• RalfLott
    Options
    idocdlw wrote: »
    Years ago I made my own mistake with a "healthy" snack that contained inulin before boarding a plane. Guess what...gas expands under low pressure...3 hours of hell...never again.

Heavens! What was it, if you recall? Bet you're glad you didn't choke down a bag of Wow! chips with Olestra.

• idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    idocdlw wrote: »

Heavens! What was it, if you recall? Bet you're glad you didn't choke down a bag of Wow! chips with Olestra.

I think it was a Kashi bar...back in the days when I still did carbs. Thank goodness I was never tempted by anything containing Olestra (frankenfood)