Help for my Husband

Options
carlsoda
carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
My darling husband has been playing around with LCHF except more higher carb plus high fat. We just got his cholesterol results back and they are not pretty. Doctor wants him on statins immediately. Oh course I say no, because I know how to fix this. Problem is, he is super scared he's going to be hungry a lot and honestly grieving losing things he won't be able eat anymore. So here's the background, what I'm hoping for is some ideas to take to him (food ideas that is!) :)
  • 50 years old
  • 6'2"
  • 195 lbs (not over weight)
  • he is pretty fit - biking, some weight lifting and recently just started running
  • lots of food allergies: nuts, lactose, sugar alcohols, peanuts, gluten, and more I am sure I'm forgetting

One of the big things he is grieving is having a protein bar in his backpack but I honestly don't know of one with a clean enough label especially with all his food allergies. I have told him he can have loads of eggs, cheese (lactose in cheese hasn't bothered him ...yet), meat sticks. But what else is out there? I'm not exactly sure how many carbs per day he's eating, but I've asked him to write down an average day with serving size so I can figure it out. I think he's scared :o but maybe if I can bring him some other ideas I'm not thinking of, it just might help him step over the line and do LCHF. Otherwise...I'm going to kick him off the high fat :D

Replies

• BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    What are his cholesterol numbers?

I wonder if there is some kind of bar recipe that could be made at home and portable. Hemp seeds are something that comes to mind (if he is not allergic). I made a hemp/chia/coconut bar thing that was fantastic.

What other things does he like to eat that he thinks he would be missing? My husband is a pizza fanatic, and the fathead pizza really satisfies him. I know that has almonds in it, but what I'm trying to say is that there is usually an acceptable low carb option for most of our favorite foods.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Found these - they are pricey, but seem to be free of all the allergens you listed, not sure how they taste...

http://www.julianbakery.com/paleo-protein-bars/

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Here is the thing he needs to understand. HF does not cause high cholesterol, HOWEVER, HF when paired with HC WILL dramatically raise cholesterol. In order for HF to work, it must be paired with LC. Protein bars and powders are typically not a good choice for this WOE. I was just listening to a podcast from KetoTalk with Jimmy and the Doc at lunch where protein powders can actually hinder progress. Generally speaking, these are HPLF and for the bars, almost always HC. If he is eating those bars, he is not LC. I know because I used to eat them all the time and have found none of them fit my WOE.
  • tshirtartist
    tshirtartist Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    How about some things made with coconut and coconut flour? There are recipes galore out there. My daughter has all those some allergies plus she can't eat cheese or eggs and she eats a lot of roasted veggies, meats, salad and roasted winter squash which he may or may not be able to eat to keep his carbs low enough. Just some ideas.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    high cholesterol without artherosclerosis doesn't mean much. If anything.
    Learn more about cholesterol from the links in the launchpad.
    I would never go back to margarine and turkey bacon even if I did go back to sugar and grains.

Eating more fatty foods than before doesn't necessarily make it a high fat diet.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Oh, and I'm very picky about the use of protein bars and the only one I'm comfortable with that isn't meat based is Primal Kitchen.
    https://thrivemarket.com/primal-kitchen-dark-chocolate-almond-bar-with-grass-fed-collagen-6pk?utm_source=google&utm_medium=pla&utm_campaign=Primal Kitchen&utm_content=856769006001&gclid=Cj0KEQjw4_DABRC1tuPSpqXjxZwBEiQAhMIp69I0bzseTGqinH3YlyNW_ikuzVLs-zefp37JrsD6b0waAhNo8P8HAQ
    Cheapest at Thrive Market which requires a yearly membership.
  • carlsoda
    Options
    What are his cholesterol numbers?

I don't have them on me, but I remember total around 238, LDL around 166 and HDL maybe 46. I think it's a little out of wack but his HDL has improved.

• Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    What about beef jerky, pork scratching, boiled eggs. Those are great and easy snacks to keep in a bag.

He also get to eat meat galore, fish, chicken wings, crispy chicken skin. Replace pasta with zucchini noodles. Rice with cauliflower rice. English breakfasts without the chips and the bread. Kebab without the pitta, taco's, fajitas without the wrap, gammon and egg for dinner. Burgers, lamb chops, pork belly. Ribs.

You can get low carb wraps and bread.

There are so many choices. Look up recipes for his favourite foods online and add low carb. You'll be hard pushed not to be able to cater for him and keep him full.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    carlsoda wrote: »
    My darling husband has been playing around with LCHF except more higher carb plus high fat. We just got his cholesterol results back and they are not pretty. Doctor wants him on statins immediately. Oh course I say no, because I know how to fix this. Problem is, he is super scared he's going to be hungry a lot and honestly grieving losing things he won't be able eat anymore. So here's the background, what I'm hoping for is some ideas to take to him (food ideas that is!) :)
    • 50 years old
    • 6'2"
    • 195 lbs (not over weight)
    • he is pretty fit - biking, some weight lifting and recently just started running
    • lots of food allergies: nuts, lactose, sugar alcohols, peanuts, gluten, and more I am sure I'm forgetting

One of the big things he is grieving is having a protein bar in his backpack but I honestly don't know of one with a clean enough label especially with all his food allergies. I have told him he can have loads of eggs, cheese (lactose in cheese hasn't bothered him ...yet), meat sticks. But what else is out there? I'm not exactly sure how many carbs per day he's eating, but I've asked him to write down an average day with serving size so I can figure it out. I think he's scared :o but maybe if I can bring him some other ideas I'm not thinking of, it just might help him step over the line and do LCHF. Otherwise...I'm going to kick him off the high fat :D

As you've probably experienced by now, you can find advice on lipid management that is all over the board.

One comforting thought, perhaps - it seems to be fairly common among LCHF adopters that lipid profiles don't really stabilize until after you've been on LCHF for a while (and, if at first following a weight-loss plan, until after the transition to maintenance). I believe @GaleHawkins may be able to shed some light on this phenomenon.

Without knowing more, it's hard to say for sure that the doc's reaction is alarmist..... Does your husband have cardiovascular issues or a lot of risk factors? Diabetic? Not at all overweight (not even 10 lbs?)
  • carlsoda
    Options
    He is very healthy, even his c reactive protein is really low. I noticed on his results his VLDL is at an 18, so I am thinking he may just have a lot of the fluffy LDL's rather than the bad ones. I told him tonight to keep doing what he is doing but tighten up where he can. One step at a time! All other blood results were great!
  • Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Great snack would be olives, avocado, guac with chopped onions, and pickles. The olives and avocado will help with lots of good fats and increase saiety.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    He is very healthy, even his c reactive protein is really low. I noticed on his results his VLDL is at an 18, so I am thinking he may just have a lot of the fluffy LDL's rather than the bad ones. I told him tonight to keep doing what he is doing but tighten up where he can. One step at a time! All other blood results were great!

You need a new doctor. I mean. That's really the only advice applicable here.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @carlsoda - FYI, here's an informative presentation on lipids by Ivor Cummins.

https://youtu.be/YRFRRqe0vrE
  • carlsoda
    Options
    @RalfLott very interesting. His ratios come back within the acceptable range but a little high on the optimal range, which means he needs to reduce triglycerides a bit but really increase HDL. Just some tweaking with his diet. I have convinced him to give up half and half and his sweet creamers in his tea and coffee and just do heavy whipping cream :) I appreciate all the advice, you guys are awesome!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @RalfLott very interesting. His ratios come back within the acceptable range but a little high on the optimal range, which means he needs to reduce triglycerides a bit but really increase HDL. Just some tweaking with his diet. I have convinced him to give up half and half and his sweet creamers in his tea and coffee and just do heavy whipping cream :) I appreciate all the advice, you guys are awesome!

Good to hear!

Here's another, short video that talks about lipids in early stages of a LCHF diet.

(The entire interview is worth watching and rewatching. You can find it at the JumpstartMD YouTube channel, along with snippets broken down by topic.)

https://youtu.be/MNfjkTyBUdQ
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,950 Member
    Options
    high cholesterol without artherosclerosis doesn't mean much. If anything.
    Learn more about cholesterol from the links in the launchpad.
    I would never go back to margarine and turkey bacon even if I did go back to sugar and grains.

Eating more fatty foods than before doesn't necessarily make it a high fat diet.

Thank you! I'm going to have him read the sticky on the launchpad and see if something clicks. I know our local library has a lot of books on this subject and also suggested he do some studying up on this way of eating. (he's a librarian by profession, so he's not scared of reading or books) :)

I used to be a librarian. :heart: I miss it so much.

Oh and subbing to get more links for the LP. :wink:
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Great links @RalfLott! Thanks. I have my first blood work since going keto in less than 2 weeks. Cholesterol has never been an issue for me, but it is hard to break the mentality that eating this way is going to negative impact the numbers. Understanding the ratios is very helpful
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    There are some Primal bars mainly meat and such that are interesting. Www.healthfulpursuit.com has great recipes for dairy nut allergen free homemade protein items.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Great links @RalfLott! Thanks. I have my first blood work since going keto in less than 2 weeks. Cholesterol has never been an issue for me, but it is hard to break the mentality that eating this way is going to negative impact the numbers. Understanding the ratios is very helpful

Yeah, it's been somewhere between maddening and amusing to listen to the experts, including my own docs, on the subject. None of my providers thinks it's important to wait until my weight stabilizes to do a thorough lipid analysis. My cardiologist thinks LDLs are important and, unless there's something really strange about your blood, it's not necessary to do advanced lipid analysis in making basic treatment decisions.... My GP, however, says it's time to move past LDLs. The kicker - they're both following guidelines, though not the same ones, of course.

(Similarly, my dermatologist says no need to get a shingles vaccine, since I had 'em recently and won't get 'em again unless I become immuno-compromised, in which case the vaccine wouldn't help; my GP says otherwise. Again, different guidelines. Surprise!)

Another big mystery for all of us here - what if the underlying studies, and therefore the guidelines, just don't apply to folks on LCHF? Statins "save" (extend?) 1 life in 48 (depending on whom you listen to.....). That's great, but I'm guessing LCHF's track record would have been much higher in the same populations.

Eric Westman was wringing his hands recently about diabetics in nutritional ketosis being given standard glucose tolerance tests - meaning a 75-100g megajolt of glucose on an empty stomach after a 12-hour fast. Why? Lack of a better "standardized" alternative..... :s