No-Nonsense November: Week 2 Check-In (11/8-11/14)

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
Loveable, repeated challenge blurb :wink:
There's a statistic that goes around: something like 25% of people will gain weight between Halloween and New Year's. It's Holiday season. We're busy with work, school, get-togethers, and shopping. It's easy to just say to heck with it and cave. And wake up on New Year's Day and looking in the mirror, unhappy with what extra weight we've gained. It happens to the best of us.

During my first LCHF holiday, I checked the weight chart, and I had lost 13lb (almost 6kg) between Oct 31st and my birthday (New Year's Day.) It's possible to not only NOT gain but to LOSE weight during the holiday season.

Planning ahead and keeping an eye on the basics are two of the most important focal points if we want to keep on the up and up in the face of all the junk, goodies, and other nonsense rampant this type of year.

Some people choose to handle this time of year completely on-plan, supplementing low-carb recipes for all our bad-ol' favorites.

What I've done in the past is to pick 1 or 2 events that were most important. For me it was Christmas Eve and New Year's Day (my birthday). I enjoyed those celebrations. Once the day was over, the indulgence was OVER. I brought home no leftovers to continue the nonsense. I picked specific things I was going to have, not ALL THE FOODS. I told myself that at bedtime, the day was over and when I woke in the morning, it was back to the routine. The rest of the days during that period, I planned ahead to stay on-plan. For those other events I didn't select, I either ate before-hand, or brought on-plan dishes to them. The 1st year, I lost 13lb between Halloween and New Year's. The 2nd year, I was very close to goal and lost the 2lb needed to reach my goal weight. This year, my goal is to maintain.

You can pick either strategy, but this challenge is about monitoring our plan Basics. Focusing on nailing the Basics is what makes the difference.

Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

Any low-carb plan is welcome. Just post your monthly goals and beginning weight (if you are just planning to maintain through the month, like me, that's cool, too) and check-in daily or weekly with how well you did. Alternately, if you are focusing on keeping to fitness goals instead, that's certainly welcome. After all, this is YOUR challenge.

The Basics:
Staying under carbs
Staying under calories
Logging and measuring
Getting in exercise/movement if that's one of your goals
Keeping an eye on electrolyte levels
Getting enough water
Planning ahead

This thread will be stickied to the top of the Group, with links inside to the weekly threads. So if the weekly thread gets buried in our busy little group, you'll be able to easily find in in the sticky.

To give you and idea of possible check-in entries here's mine from last year:
Monthly Goals:
To lose those rotten, stinkin, stubborn, no-good, malicious last 2lb to goal weight.
By hitting the basics daily. I have one calorie UP-day, Saturday, where I'd like to log but I don't care how many calories I eat, as long as I keep my carbs under 50g. I only have adult beverages that day. Sometimes my carbs sneak over. I make sure I'm pristine all other days of the week, however. This arrangement works fine for me, for now. But if I don't continue to lose at least a fraction of a lb a week, then obviously I'll have to tighten the reigns on that.

Start weight: 153.4 (weight is up due to salty nuts, bacon, and sausage balls)
Goal weight: 150 and to stay there.

Sunday, 11/1:

Water: 80/80oz check.jpg
Electrolytes Good: check.jpg
Logged Food: check.jpg
Exercise as Planned?: Cleaned house like a fiend for 3 hours check.jpg
At or Under Carb Level: 13/30g net check.jpg
At or Under Calorie Limit: Yes! check.jpg
Planned Day Ahead: Yes! check.jpg

Share recipes, problems, thoughts.
Fight back against all the NONSENSE life throws at us this time of year.
Make it a No-Gain November. :wink:

Let's do this.

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    My goals for this week:

Continue with carnivore WOE

It feels harder on week 2. I guess the honeymoon is over, lol. I will trek on, since I feel physically and mental health wise better doing this. Psychologically and socially, I'm having temptations, doubts, and hesitation.

Drink less coffee

I will eat breakfast THEN have my coffee. Fuel first. Indulgence in caffeine after. And just one mug. Not a whole pot.

No sweeteners and no Diet Cokes

None. Zero. They're starting to taste gross to me anyway. Just a relic of a bad habit that doesn't want to die.
  • AshStout83
    AshStout83 Posts: 190 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm starting week 2 at 147.5, so I'm half-way to my November weight loss goal.
    Goal #1-lose 4 lbs. in November
    Goal #2-drink 64 oz of water every day
    Goal #3-10,000 steps every day
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    For 11/7
    Water-64oz
    Food-logged
    Exercise-none, still not back in my groove
    Below 70 carbs-35 I think
    Below 1400 cal-about 1600, went way overboard on protein
    Meals planned/packed for today-Yep
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm half-way to my November weight loss goal.

@ashtaylor83 Way to go!!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    Week 2 - Nov 7 results:
    Net Carbs -> 33 (close but no cigar...) :s
    Calories -> 1413 :D
    Workouts -> 2/5 for the week :D
    Weight -> 218 (Start -> 219 for November) :D

Copied from the week one thread to keep up with this week.
  • changingleemfp
    changingleemfp Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Week 2 Goals:

Keep Weekly Macro Average:
    10% Carbs
    30% Proteins
    60% Fats

Exercise three times.

Lose another Five Pounds.
  • kdz0444
    kdz0444 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Week 2
    Starting the week at 206! Just 6.1 lbs to reach my goal of being under 200 by the end of the month.
    Been staying between 20-30 net carbs.
    Still working on drinking enough water.
    Was able to do yoga poses that I couldn't do before. Feeling really good and have tons of energy. But the time change has messed up my sleep schedule.
  • AshStout83
    AshStout83 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    I'm half-way to my November weight loss goal.

@ashtaylor83 Way to go!!

Thank you!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    November 8th:
    super short walk to the polling place (1.3 miles/20 minutes)
    13 miles on the stationary recumbent (50 minutes
    So 70 more minutes towards my goal of 1200. 810 to go.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Same goals for the rest of this month. Took my first week measurements and no changes (except shark week belly poof of 1 inch ^ - but that's temporary and not fat).
    Nov 8
    Goals for me:
    Drink my 8 glasses of water :)
    IF for at least 14 hours and preferably 18 daily :) 20 yaaaay!
    Stay at or below my 25g net carb goal :D only 9g net carbs
    Make sure my protein hits approx 70g BUT not much more :) 72g
    Get at least one day a week of non-work related exercise :) This week I got to Aquacize.

I was a little high on fat today... I got carried away with cheese and Genoa Salami, and forgot how high the ratio of fat to protein is in a whole egg. 125g total - a bit over my 100g target. :/
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I came up with a much more realistic goal than relying on my buddy to lose a set amount on the scale, because that's just ridiculous, my body is doing its thing the best it can....but! I am going to focus better on logging everything more completely (no more snacks in bed reading them logging in the morning, for example) and measuring everything. I know this will only kick-start my progress.

Such a great day!
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    For 11/8
    Water-80 oz
    Food-logged
    Exercise-not a good week
    Below 70 carbs-71, stupid beer
    Below 1400 cal-1396 LOL
    Meals planned-no but I don't feel like eating today anyway
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    Completely blew it yesterday...
    Net carbs -> 54 :o
    Calories -> 1737 :o
    Workouts -> 3/5 for the week :)
    Weight -> 218.5 (@#$%^ carbs) :(
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    11/8 Check In

Daily Goals:
    Water: 110/100oz check.jpg
    Logged Food: check.jpg
    Exercise as Planned?:
    At or Under Carb Level: 48/20 - Yikes...dairy, raspberries, curry and lots of veggies
    At or Under Calorie Limit: check.jpg

Month Total: 26/40
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @tishsmith101 & @ccrdragon Today is going to be better, just know it!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    8 Nov:

Late night election news watching = going off carnivore plan. Half a bowl of my hubby's keto chili around midnight. I should have just eaten the cold cuts and cheese. Oh well, I will carnivore on :smile:

• HawkPNP
    HawkPNP Posts: 106 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Super behind this week with school/life/kids. BUT, I have been keeping up on my tracking and exercise. Currently, I have some delicious broccoli cheddar soup in the crockpot and baked some cheddar biscuits (with coconut flour). Needless to say, I am very excited about dinner.

11/7
    Water: check.jpg
    Apple Watch Rings Completed?: check.jpg
    At or Under Carb Level: 11/20 total carbs check.jpg
    a0q4wsr81284.jpg

11/8
    Water: check.jpg
    Apple Watch Rings Completed?: check.jpg
    At or Under Carb Level: 14/20 total carbs check.jpg
    nr8oz254cwv8.jpg
  • can111
    can111 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm a little late to the party, but I'd still like to join!
    November goals:
    1 - no white sugar
    2 - no white flour
    3 - log everything everyday
    4 - Lose 4.6 pounds by 12/2. I have a side bet with a friend that I will be 159.6 on 12/2/2016 (or i have to pay her $20 - haha)

11/7/2016: 164.2

BTW ... The last time I weighed in the 150's was about 17 years ago. Yep been struggling that long. I know i'm on a Low Carb group but to me that means no white sugar/no white flour. It works for me. Any sugar, any, just sends me into a sugar craving rampage. I'm like a drug addict. I am convinced I just need to quit eating sugar ... forever. Wow.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    November 9:
    Walk: 4.52 miles, 1:15:32, 3.62 mph. Done!
    735 minutes remain to complete goal of November 1200 minutes.