Supplementing

Options
2»

Replies

• dkginger
    dkginger Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It is far superior to table salt and even sea salt due to the mineral content. Contains over 84 trace minerals where table salt has been stripped of almost all its minerals and bleached. This is but one of many references. .http://www.collective-evolution.com/2016/02/01/this-is-what-happens-to-your-body-when-you-eat-pink-himalayan-salt/
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    MKknits wrote: »
    I guess I kind of assumed I was missing nutrients with the decrease in veg. I eat veg with my two meals (usually broccoli, cauliflower, or spinach) but I'm not eating as many fruits and vegetables as I was before.

I hear ya. Not eating much in the line of vegetables and very little in fruits is a hard idea to overcome based on what we have read and been told for the last several decades regarding a "healthy" diet. I tend to operate from the premise that my body is very smart and will function well if I feed it. What it needs is fuel and it will convert the fuel accordingly. I may find out otherwise so I continue to "knock on wood".
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm vitamin d deficient also and was prescribed 50,000 Mcg once weekly and will retest next week to see where I'm at. I'm also taking fish oil and magnesium as an addition to eating this way. The brands aren't spectacular, but they do the job for the time being. I tend to like solaray for most supplements.

As far as additional supplements, I am taking adrenal support, quercetin and a daily vitamin. The daily vitamin is mostly due to the fact that I was drinking an energy supplement daily and cannot afford it at this time. But yeah, my urine is just neon from it. So I'm not sure.

@emaline2210 - with that vitamin D deficiency, please make sure you're taking corresponding levels of K2 to help absorb the D3, or you'll just end up cluttering your arteries with absorbed and unrouted calcium and D3... It scares me, as I was D deficient, and I got my numbers up to a point where I had to bump back down my doses (107 was my last test, I think and they want you at or below 100). Getting the K2, magnesium, and boron with my D3 helped me get this under control with a quickness. Dr. Berg has some great info on how to pair the doses (generally it's 10,000 IU of D3 to 100 mcg of K2 (M7 form), if I remember correctly. Also, it's recommended to balance by taking fish oil and vitamin A at night (12 hours apart from D) to prevent toxicity...
  • emaline2210
    emaline2210 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I'm vitamin d deficient also and was prescribed 50,000 Mcg once weekly and will retest next week to see where I'm at. I'm also taking fish oil and magnesium as an addition to eating this way. The brands aren't spectacular, but they do the job for the time being. I tend to like solaray for most supplements.

As far as additional supplements, I am taking adrenal support, quercetin and a daily vitamin. The daily vitamin is mostly due to the fact that I was drinking an energy supplement daily and cannot afford it at this time. But yeah, my urine is just neon from it. So I'm not sure.

@emaline2210 - with that vitamin D deficiency, please make sure you're taking corresponding levels of K2 to help absorb the D3, or you'll just end up cluttering your arteries with absorbed and unrouted calcium and D3... It scares me, as I was D deficient, and I got my numbers up to a point where I had to bump back down my doses (107 was my last test, I think and they want you at or below 100). Getting the K2, magnesium, and boron with my D3 helped me get this under control with a quickness. Dr. Berg has some great info on how to pair the doses (generally it's 10,000 IU of D3 to 100 mcg of K2 (M7 form), if I remember correctly. Also, it's recommended to balance by taking fish oil and vitamin A at night (12 hours apart from D) to prevent toxicity...

How much vitamin a? Thanks for the helpful info! I've completed one month (4 doses) of vitamin d. Should I add in k2 now? Or only if she prescribes another round this week?
  • kennygang
    kennygang Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    is there a brand of vitamin D3 or k2/m7 that any one recommends?
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    if you are Vit D deficient, your best bet is to take food carotene supplement and get sunlight...

food carotene will convert to A as needed
    A will convert to D as needed - sunlight (UV) required

D is not terribly bioavailable as a supplement, plus, it's almost impossible to overdose on food carotene while it's very easy to overdose on A and D since they are hard on the liver

I wasn't aware that Vit. D was hard on the liver... ??

Meanwhile, here's an article summarizing a recent editorial in the NEJM:

Vitamin D deficiency is widely overestimated, U.S. doctors warn
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/vitamin-d-deficiency-1.3845085
    Correctly interpreted, less than 6 per cent of Americans ages 1 to 70 are deficient and only 13 per cent are in danger of not getting enough.

That's concerning, "but these levels of deficiency do not constitute a pandemic," the authors write.

Yet people may think there is one.

Blood tests for vitamin D levels — not advised unless a problem like bone loss is suspected — are soaring. Under Medicare, there was an 83-fold increase from 2000 to 2010, to 8.7 million tests last year, at $40 apiece. It's Medicare's fifth most common test, just after cholesterol levels and ahead of blood sugar, urinary tract infections and prostate cancer screening.

• KnitOrMiss
    edited November 2016
    Options
    kennygang wrote: »
    is there a brand of vitamin D3 or k2/m7 that any one recommends?

@kennygang - I was told (by The Thyroid Pharmacist lady, forget her name) the best brand of D is Thorne Pharmaceuticals (she gave me another brand, too, but it was more expensive), because it doesn't have any inflammatory oils. It was a little more expensive, but I was going through it too quickly (was higher dosing because I was trying to increase a deficiency, but dropped back down to maintenance dose now, so might be okay), so I switched to Doctor's Best brand because it uses Olive Oil and not sunflower or safflower or soybean oil which can all be inflammatory. I also liked the Source Naturals drops, and Wellness Works drops (WW might be a local only brand, not sure), but the SN drops were sweet, and I couldn't find info as to whether it was sugar or AS... The WW were unflavored. Both are good for getting your doses in with a hot fatty beverage, etc. Really just depends on your preferred intake method.

For K2, if you don't want the K, also, I think the Jarrow brand is the highest/most recommended. I don't remember the pricing, but it has good K2/M7. Personally, I like the other bits (K2/M4 & K1), so I get the Life Extension Brand of Super K Plus from Amazon. Really decent prices there. I love Jarrow brand for many other things, and they have great quality, but I haven't used this K2/M-7 only myself. I can't remember if Maria E is the one who recommended this formula, but I think so.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

How much vitamin a? Thanks for the helpful info! I've completed one month (4 doses) of vitamin d. Should I add in k2 now? Or only if she prescribes another round this week?

@emaline2210 - I think someone somewhere (Dr. Berg, probably) said that 10,000 iu daily is safe without testing for deficiencies first (the only I got is 25,000 iu, and I was taking it daily, but I got a spirulina blend that has A, and so I'm rotating between them now... doing the spirulina M/W/F/Su, the A is T/Th/Sa...but I'm not taking the full dose spirulina as I'm trying to determine tolerance ATM...

A is one of those I think you can get too much of, so I'd watch the stuff from Dr. Berg on it...

Personally, I'd add in the K2 now, as it can help clear up any clutter left by those megadoses...(supposedly, anyway)...and help absorb stuff hanging out, too... And even if you don't have to do the large doses, you'll probably go on a maintenance dose anyway...so anytime I take D3 now, I always take K2.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    light therapy lamp?

I just got mine last week...was lucky as the VA provided it to me. I did buy the stand an a carry case. I was always able to access one at the HAWC (health and wellness center) when I was active duty...so nice to have one of my own now. I spend a lot of time outside. Winter is usually in FL, but this year am in KS so taking proactive measures to offset SAD as the days get shorter.