New study on artificial sweeteners affecting glucose tolerance

Options
cstehansen
cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
This is a very alarming study if you use artificial sweeteners.

https://chriskresser.com/how-artificial-sweeteners-wreak-havoc-on-your-gut/?utm_source=ChrisKresser.com&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e7d56abf8a-ee9c9ca3ac-95902905&utm_content&utm_campaign=ee9c9ca3ac-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2016_11_09&mc_cid=ee9c9ca3ac&mc_eid=56daae840f

Here is a short quote from near the end:

"in just this short week-long period, four out of seven individuals had already developed significantly poorer glycemic responses (NAS responders) and pronounced changes in microbiota composition. The remaining three individuals had no change (NAS non-responders)."

The quick summary is in mice all of them had a change in gut microbe when using these non-caloric artificial sweeteners (NASs) which correlated to decreased glucose tolerance. In reviewing data from human studies, there was a correlation between the use of NAS and reduced glucose tolerance. And in the first human experiment directly testing this, 4 out of 7 healthy human subjects showed a change in gut microbe and reduced glucose tolerance in just one week where they were given the FDA's max "safe" amount per day split among 3 equal servings.

Clearly there needs to be more research, but this, along with the dramatic change in SAD to high carb diets would easily explain why diabetes and other metabolic diseases have skyrocketed over the last few decades.

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    This is a very alarming study if you use artificial sweeteners.

https://chriskresser.com/how-artificial-sweeteners-wreak-havoc-on-your-gut/?utm_source=ChrisKresser.com&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e7d56abf8a-ee9c9ca3ac-95902905&utm_content&utm_campaign=ee9c9ca3ac-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2016_11_09&mc_cid=ee9c9ca3ac&mc_eid=56daae840f

Here is a short quote from near the end:

"in just this short week-long period, four out of seven individuals had already developed significantly poorer glycemic responses (NAS responders) and pronounced changes in microbiota composition. The remaining three individuals had no change (NAS non-responders)."

The quick summary is in mice all of them had a change in gut microbe when using these non-caloric artificial sweeteners (NASs) which correlated to decreased glucose tolerance. In reviewing data from human studies, there was a correlation between the use of NAS and reduced glucose tolerance. And in the first human experiment directly testing this, 4 out of 7 healthy human subjects showed a change in gut microbe and reduced glucose tolerance in just one week where they were given the FDA's max "safe" amount per day split among 3 equal servings.

Clearly there needs to be more research, but this, along with the dramatic change in SAD to high carb diets would easily explain why diabetes and other metabolic diseases have skyrocketed over the last few decades.

That's a pretty arresting tale. Thanks for the ref!

Did they use the whole range of NAS products now on the market and reach the same conclusion for all of them?* It's hard to imagine that erythritol is as bad as all the other x-itols over a range of species and test subjects...

I suspect the combined effect of every nanogram of NAS products since the good ol' days of Tab and Fresca is but a drop of water on the hot rock that has the ADA's immovable advice to T2Ds to eat yer carbs.

*It looks like the study only reviewed
    saccharin (Sweet’n Low), aspartame (Equal, NutraSweet and Canderel), and sucralose (Splenda), but neither Erythritol nor Xylitol. (And of course, not stevia.)
  • cstehansen
    Options
    I figured this is pretty important because these are the ones that are in all the diet/no calorie drinks which I know are a staple for many with this WOE.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's nasty stuff! That's why I have them up. Plus they made me feel hungry all the time. I figured that was a gut microbe response or something.
    I don't have that happen with liquid stevia or liquid erythritol
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Maybe I really lucked out, am one of the three not affected. Really dodged a bullet on that one.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Shoot. I've been added diet cola back into my diet. Not a great choice I know but I (wrongly) justified it as a less harmless comfrort food - compared to my past anyways. This made me rethink my actions. Gave me that extra kick in the rear to do what I know I should rather than what I want to do.

Thanks for posting this.
  • RalfLott
    edited November 2016
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Shoot. I've been added diet cola back into my diet. Not a great choice I know but I (wrongly) justified it as a less harmless comfrort food - compared to my past anyways. This made me rethink my actions. Gave me that extra kick in the rear to do what I know I should rather than what I want to do.

Thanks for posting this.

It's a challenge....

A fizzy, sweet drink that doesn't mess with you.

+ Sparkling water
    + Stevia (w or w/o Erythritol)
    + Flavoring, like pure vanilla
    .... hmmmm
    something missing..... :|

+Booze! :*
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    What I've been doing lately is making flavored iced teas. I buy these kinds of teas
    a164x2ihdh99.jpg

And I add 1 family sized Lipton tea bag and 2 of whatever flavor I want to a pot of water and bring to a boil for a minute. Then pour over ice in a pitcher. Add liquid stevia and/or erythritol for a touch of sweetness. Not southern sweet tea level... I usually have enough to make 1.5 to 2 pitchers.
    It gets me looking forward to having a glass and it's not just plain old boring water.
    And there are so many possible flavors.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    What I've been doing lately is making flavored iced teas. I buy these kinds of teas
    a164x2ihdh99.jpg

And I add 1 family sized Lipton tea bag and 2 of whatever flavor I want to a pot of water and bring to a boil for a minute. Then pour over ice in a pitcher. Add liquid stevia and/or erythritol for a touch of sweetness. Not southern sweet tea level... I usually have enough to make 1.5 to 2 pitchers.
    It gets me looking forward to having a glass and it's not just plain old boring water.
    And there are so many possible flavors.

That's such a great idea! Thank you!
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    So does that make Truvia off limits? Liquid Stevia tastes bitter to me rather than sweet (it's an MS thing from trigeminal neuralgia causing numbness on part of my lips and tongue). I've used Truvia in my fat bombs (aka power poppers). I've changed my morning keto coffee to not include any sweetener, but I do like a fat bomb most days and use them if my fat is low for the day.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    suzqtme wrote: »
    So does that make Truvia off limits? Liquid Stevia tastes bitter to me rather than sweet (it's an MS thing from trigeminal neuralgia causing numbness on part of my lips and tongue). I've used Truvia in my fat bombs (aka power poppers). I've changed my morning keto coffee to not include any sweetener, but I do like a fat bomb most days and use them if my fat is low for the day.

Truvia is stevia and erythritol, neither of which were included in the study.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm dying to post this study over on the debate forum, but It'll probably be picked apart and I'll get eaten alive :cold_sweat:
  • cstehansen
    Options
    Maybe I really lucked out, am one of the three not affected. Really dodged a bullet on that one.

I'm not trying to bring you down, but if you are staying keto, you may not know if this is affecting you since you aren't taking in the glucose to see how your body processes it.

One study with 7 people isn't enough to close the book. This may turn out to be a big deal. It may turn out that it only affects a small number of people.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss, @RalfLott & @Sunny_Bunny_ - I thought I would call you out specifically since you are the ones that seem as obsessed (or in the case of @KnitOrMiss possibly more obsessed) with medical research as I am. Given the findings of this in relation to the gut microbiome and the improvement they found in mice when giving them antibiotics, do you think taking a probiotic or prebiotic (I am not well versed on either) could help to reverse damage done by these artificial sweeteners?

Also, I was wondering if more people weren't affected because of the trace amounts of antibiotics we get from eating the standard raised meat. Given roughly 80% of all antibiotic consumption in the US is for commercially raised animals to keep them from getting sick, at least some of that has got to end up in the meat we are eating.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Thanks for posting this.

It's a challenge....

A fizzy, sweet drink that doesn't mess with you.

+ Sparkling water
    + Stevia (w or w/o Erythritol)
    + Flavoring, like pure vanilla
    .... hmmmm
    something missing..... :|

+Booze! :*

LOL A nice alternative. ;)

Yuck. I need to spell check better. My old high school English teachers would be ashamed.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I'm dying to post this study over on the debate forum, but It'll probably be picked apart and I'll get eaten alive :cold_sweat:

LOL I thought the same thing!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Random fun fact: erythritol will kill your dog, however it has no toxic effect on you. BAT stimulating thermogenics will turn your pet hamster into a miniature fat furnace. It will do almost nothing for you.

I'll worry about this when it's replicated in humans. Until then, there's just too much room for exaggeration and unnecessary freak out.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Argh. I am one of the few people who have a problem with Stevia apparently. I have low(er) blood sugar to start with, and stevia TANKS it. Like I will be 70-80 normally and if I drink a bottle of tea with stevia I will hit 40 in no time and nearly black out.

Monk fruit is my go-to most of the time, with sucralose some ... I minimize sucralose because I OD'd on it years ago (i.e. 40 packs a day) and ended up being diagnosed with fibromyalgia (which I did not have) because of the side effects. So I keep it minimal now, but its one of the few I can handle the taste of.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    Argh. I am one of the few people who have a problem with Stevia apparently. I have low(er) blood sugar to start with, and stevia TANKS it. Like I will be 70-80 normally and if I drink a bottle of tea with stevia I will hit 40 in no time and nearly black out.

Monk fruit is my go-to most of the time, with sucralose some ... I minimize sucralose because I OD'd on it years ago (i.e. 40 packs a day) and ended up being diagnosed with fibromyalgia (which I did not have) because of the side effects. So I keep it minimal now, but its one of the few I can handle the taste of.

You didn't have it, because it's usually given as a monkeyshit diagnosis when a doctor has no idea what's actually wrong with you. My mom was diagnosed with the same *kitten*, then it was suddenly cured when her last husband left her, and she couldn't mooch off of his paycheck anymore.
  • RalfLott
    Options

Double dog dare ya!