Big Pharma just will not give up...

Options
13»

Replies

• VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    a 10% increase in risk = take these drugs...so if my base risk is 1% and now a dr decides my risk is 1.1%, it's time for a daily prescription for the rest of my life

I'm so happy to have an herbalist 2 miles away
    Yes, that's how therapy is determined; based on benefits vs. risk. A 1.1% risk is nothing & far better than average. Why take something you don't need? Unfortunately, generalizations about the American society are often portrayed as applying to everyone; which is not the case.

These guidelines (CPET ATP4) are written by an expert panel of cardiologists; they are not enforced or made up by Pharma. There is only 1 non-generic statin available (pitavastatin/LIVALO) which is not even recommended for high intensive therapy. If there is any influence from Pharma as of right now, it would be pushing PCSK-9 inhibitors when they are not necessary.

The only ones missing out are those who choose not to take statins when he/she has enough risk factors &/or history of cardiovascular events. He/she would essentially be forgoing mortality benefits as well as reversing damaged/inflamed/occluded blood vessels.

Not necessary for everyone
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    And we seem to be overlooking the fact that a simple change in diet can lower the risk of a whole suite of chronic diseases and mortality more than any drug or combination of chemicals they are pushing.

When the ADA starts recommending limiting your carbs then we'll start seeing a downward trend in chronic diseases all across the board. Who's going to get rich from that advice though?

And they still keep overlooking the fact lower cholesterol was actually not associated with longer life. Quite the opposite in fact.
    They're still so hung up on the idea that cholesterol absolutely must be low. There's no actual reason for that.

Yep, which is why ATP4 does NOT recommend treat to target LDL-C goals; yet clinicians who are not up to dare still treat to target anyways because they can use "clinical judgment". Did anyone even read the guidelines & analyze the changes? They are actually a lot less rigid & by the #s only. This was actually changed right around the end of 2013.

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    And we seem to be overlooking the fact that a simple change in diet can lower the risk of a whole suite of chronic diseases and mortality more than any drug or combination of chemicals they are pushing.

When the ADA starts recommending limiting your carbs then we'll start seeing a downward trend in chronic diseases all across the board. Who's going to get rich from that advice though?

To be fair, the beef, chicken, pork, and dairy industry leaders would probably give their collective left nut to have that kind of advice go out. Not to mention the supplement industry. ;)
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options

To be fair, the beef, chicken, pork, and dairy industry leaders would probably give their collective left nut to have that kind of advice go out. Not to mention the supplement industry. ;)

Not going to happen. Big Pharma is a relatively small and absolutely wealthy lobbying group. The supplement industry is less wealthy and more scattered. All those other industries are extremely diverse and unorganized. In any event, supplement makers are just happy their products aren't subject to much in the way of regulation; they'd just as soon stay in the shade.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    If you know anyone who believes anything supporting statin use is on par with unicorns and cold fusion, here's an example of how a statin benefitted some patients with certain risk profiles, according to a prediction model fit to data from a large clinical trial:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3184644

• dancing_daisy
    dancing_daisy Posts: 162 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Thanks @RalfLott but the objective of the study you shared is testing out a prediction model. That the study uses data from a trial on a type of statins (rosuvastatin) holds no weight to your argument. You can’t judge the efficacy of a treatment on the results of a experimental statistical model in trial.

Moreover, the data used in the study you quote comes from a 'large multinational, long-terml trial (JUPITER), the conclusion of which actually leans towards support of rosuvastatin use.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Moreover, the data used in the study you quote comes from a 'large multinational, long-terml trial (JUPITER), the conclusion of which actually leans towards support of rosuvastatin use.

Exactly. I take rosuvastatin for this very reason.
  • dancing_daisy
    dancing_daisy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Think I misunderstood you :RalfLott I thought your comment about supporting statins and unicorns was saying something about people believing in fictionally magical drugs. Sorry about that lol.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Think I misunderstood you :RalfLott I thought your comment about supporting statins and unicorns was saying something about people believing in fictionally magical drugs. Sorry about that lol.

;)
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Yep, which is why ATP4 does NOT recommend treat to target LDL-C goals; yet clinicians who are not up to dare still treat to target anyways because they can use "clinical judgment". Did anyone even read the guidelines & analyze the changes? They are actually a lot less rigid & by the #s only. This was actually changed right around the end of 2013.

[/quote]

Unfortunately, the way many clinicians "stay up to date" is by replacing actual first hand research and/or review of peer reviewed studies with CME (continuing medical education) sponsored by and paid for by big Pharma.