Options
2»

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    VKetoV wrote: »
    Sludge! Whey protein + any nut/legume butter +/- low carb berry +/- fat of choice. Water is optional & for consistency purposes only. Whey can be substituted with yogurt or cottage cheese. End result is some really good tasting substance with an "appetizing" diarrhea like appearance. Invention of your modern day bodybuilder

Imo, casein makes a much better sludge, just because it's thicker. Whey sludge has a horrible tendancy to go from thick as hell to watery soup if you sneeze near it. Though, my recent recipe actually uses 20g vanilla casein and 20g cinnamon roll whey. It's a hair thinner than I'd like, but a gram or two of Xanthan gum fixes that pretty quick.

That sounds amazing! I wonder if you could freeze and blend it to make a low carb, thick, soft ice cream consistency?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Sludge! Whey protein + any nut/legume butter +/- low carb berry +/- fat of choice. Water is optional & for consistency purposes only. Whey can be substituted with yogurt or cottage cheese. End result is some really good tasting substance with an "appetizing" diarrhea like appearance. Invention of your modern day bodybuilder

Imo, casein makes a much better sludge, just because it's thicker. Whey sludge has a horrible tendancy to go from thick as hell to watery soup if you sneeze near it. Though, my recent recipe actually uses 20g vanilla casein and 20g cinnamon roll whey. It's a hair thinner than I'd like, but a gram or two of Xanthan gum fixes that pretty quick.

That sounds amazing! I wonder if you could freeze and blend it to make a low carb, thick, soft ice cream consistency?

That's exactly what my current recipe does. See my previous post about looking like animal vomit. You can sub all off the low fat items I use for full fat versions to make it more keto targetted.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Here's a screen cap from my Facebook, with all of the ingredients and macros, because lazy. I've made some minor modifications since then, but it's still pretty close.
    1bbf2yc2es5v.png
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    supergal3 wrote: »
    I recently tried something I heard last week on the Fat Summit from the female doctor at Indiana U. Whipped cream, stevia (if needed), mascapone cheese, vanilla extract or any other non-carb flavorings of your choosing. She said she had it for a quick week day breakfast.

I watched this one too and was thinking of giving it a try. I had never even heard of mascapone before someone mentioned it on one of the threads a month or so ago. It is a great way to up my fats. I have a terrible time getting enough calories without going way over on protein. Some don't have an issue with that, but I have found it jacks up my BG. I went over yesterday by about 30-40g from target and my FBG this morning was up 6 pts from trend. I don't use any sweeteners of any kind, so I will leave out the stevia, but this sounds good. I think I may throw in a bit of cinnamon for additional flavor.
  • DebSozo
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I don't know what mascapone tastes like. I may have to go search for some.
    :)
  • DebSozo
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Here's a screen cap from my Facebook, with all of the ingredients and macros, because lazy. I've made some minor modifications since then, but it's still pretty close.
    1bbf2yc2es5v.png

It isn't pretty, but it reads on paper like it will taste like pumpkin cheesecake.
  • cstehansen
    Options

It is generally in the deli in a tub, not in the dairy section which is why it took a while for me to find it. The package of at least one brand calls it a butter substitute.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

It is generally in the deli in a tub, not in the dairy section which is why it took a while for me to find it. The package of at least one brand calls it a butter substitute.

Ohhhh... that explains it.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited November 2016
    Options
    1bbf2yc2es5v.png

It isn't pretty, but it reads on paper like it will taste like pumpkin cheesecake.

There's actually no pumpkin taste at all. The pumpkin and cottage cheese are in there for volume, texture, and macros, because they just end up tasting like whatever protein powder they are mixed with. The color on the other hand, not so easy to mask.

I also ended up dropping the cheesecake pudding mix altogether, and replacing with a bit of Xanthan Gum. It makes it thicker, thus requires more water, thus more volume, without really changing the flavor at all. The 5-8g I was using just wasn't enough to even remotely shine through 20-40g of good vanilla casein, whereas 3g of XG makes a huge thickness difference.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options

Cream cheese without the sour. Tastes like cream. Semi-solid cream. Semi solid meaning near the same consistency as cream cheese.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Sliced red peppers with peanut butter. Its actually really refreshing both in taste and that fact that they go together!

That sounds wonderful! I'm thinking of a satay and that wonderful peanutty taste with asian veggies....YUM!
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options

I just tried it last night for the first time. I don't think there is a ton of taste, per se, but there is a very slight sweet taste on the back end of the bite. After I tried it as is, I mixed it with cream cheese, cocoa powder, mint extract, a little salt and mixed like crazy to make a creamy treat. It's pretty tasty.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Sliced red peppers with peanut butter. Its actually really refreshing both in taste and that fact that they go together!

Would love to hear from others who have tried this with other nut butters (I don't do peanut butter as peanuts are a legume and don't invest in other nut butters unless I see a "to die for" reason to do so) I do love peppers...red, green, yellow & orange. I usually just crunch on them raw. They are an awesome transition food for those trying to transition from chips/crackers for a crunchy part of your food lifestyle.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    idocdlw wrote: »

Would love to hear from others who have tried this with other nut butters (I don't do peanut butter as peanuts are a legume and don't invest in other nut butters unless I see a "to die for" reason to do so) I do love peppers...red, green, yellow & orange. I usually just crunch on them raw. They are an awesome transition food for those trying to transition from chips/crackers for a crunchy part of your food lifestyle.

If you like peppers, one thing I do occasionally is slice them up, put a coating of seasoning on them (personally prefer garlic powder with cayenne powder or just some Tony Chachere's) and then bake them. I have tried different temps and different amounts of time trying to get just the right crispiness.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    idocdlw wrote: »

If you like peppers, one thing I do occasionally is slice them up, put a coating of seasoning on them (personally prefer garlic powder with cayenne powder or just some Tony Chachere's) and then bake them. I have tried different temps and different amounts of time trying to get just the right crispiness.

Thank you! I do often load poblanos or jalepenos with different cheeses & sausages, but would love to start experimenting more with the different colors of bell peppers.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Roasted brocolli smothered in cinnamon and curry powder. It is everything
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Still curious about this chicken, egg and peanut butter thing. Can you elaborate?
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Yeah I use to use xanthan gum to make a vanilla concoction of whey/Greek yogurt with vanilla extract, cinnamon, flaxseed, & sugar free raspberries. You've got to beat the hell out of it to remove all the air pockets. Never used casein but would agree with you as I've seen others make rather elaborate fluff/cloud like concoctions with it.

Just don't use carnageenan; just imagine a thick pile of green nastiness

• mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Oooh, thanks for the mascapone cheese reminder everyone. In my pre-LC days I used that to make several (sugar-bomb) desserts and loved it. I know they have it at my local Publix so I just need to add it to my list.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Still curious about this chicken, egg and peanut butter thing. Can you elaborate?

Same here. DETAILS? (Please)