Pets!

Options

Replies

• aserrano79
    aserrano79 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love this! Did not write this below but I love this charity. It's for doggie cancer research. They do Keto on dogs that have a cancer death sentence. They do not give dogs cancer! The charity picks them from shelters and people who can't treat the cancer. Keto pet sanctuary.

"Right now, on a 53-acre plot of land outside Austin, Texas, we at KetoPet Sanctuary (KPS) are doing something incredible. This isn’t your typical canine rescue facility. KPS goes out of its way to rescue dogs with incurable, terminal cancer. Our goal isn’t to provide hospice-like treatment for terminal dogs – of course we care for and love the animals, but instead of writing off the canine companions to their fate, we at KPS provide groundbreaking cancer therapy. We’ve been doing this since October of 2014 and the results are astounding. Plus, we guarantee each dog will have a loving forever home, for life."
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say that our dog is basically keto. He gets raw hamburger, other meats, some (all meat) kibble and some veggies and cheese. He eats well.

@RowdysLady LOL You are more tolerant than I am.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    @nvmomketo - look at that face...you can only be mad for a minute. He and his little buddy are such sweethearts that I am a sucker for them for sure. I love dogs too, which helps. When he jumped down he broke that photo frame too...now I've got to replace it.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I have a black Bombay cat who's turning 10 next year and a Belgian malinwa who's 2 years old. The dog is definitely keto with grain free food.
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I've had 5 rescues over the years. Our current Daisy (who I believe calls herself Bruce) is a pushy, bossy Great Pyrenees who weighs in at 120 pounds. I love her to pieces and she returns that 100 fold! 0iqegzrm7wka.jpg Boy, she really needed a haircut in this pic! She is my last really big dog so she gets spoiled even more than our previous dogs.

RE food, she isn't fed keto. Her snacks, though, are all protein and/or fat which boosts the percentage a bit. She is at about 60 to 65% fat and protein.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I need to take some more pictures of Gibbs, my feral rescue. 8 years old now. He eats mainly keto, as he steals my food! His treats are purely freeze dried chicken with no preservatives. Just hard photographing a black cat, he often ends up going from looking adorable to a black blob, and he is such a cutie!

mb9j4e3xo5ec.jpg
    m6f7ldzuoh6d.jpg
    9reyiss3cj8n.jpg
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    suzqtme wrote: »
    I've had 5 rescues over the years. Our current Daisy (who I believe calls herself Bruce) is a pushy, bossy Great Pyrenees who weighs in at 120 pounds. I love her to pieces and she returns that 100 fold! 0iqegzrm7wka.jpg Boy, she really needed a haircut in this pic! She is my last really big dog so she gets spoiled even more than our previous dogs.

RE food, she isn't fed keto. Her snacks, though, are all protein and/or fat which boosts the percentage a bit. She is at about 60 to 65% fat and protein.

Archer's buddy who also shows up here is a Great Pyrenees as well - still a pup and half the size of Archer but he has that mottled brown color on his nose and tail...so cute! I'm kind excited, in a way that Miyuki is pregnant because we are pretty sure Archer is the dad...they will be GORGEOUS dogs and full Pyrenees so I can sell them to the ranches around here as guard dogs.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Ok question: for those that feed their pets keto, what exactly do you feed them? We just got Charlie last week, she's 10 weeks now. And she hardly eats her food. Her previous owner fed her Purina. We give her Blue Buffalo Wilderness puppy brand kibble.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Long before I ever started eating keto, little Yanni got pork butts purchased just for him. I boiled them in plain water and divided it up into small meal size containers and froze it. I'd buy no salt canned green beans by the case for him too. I'd also boil all chicken and turkey carcasses then picked them clean (bone free) and make him little frozen chicken/turkey dinners of meat and broth. He also liked raw carrots, green peppers and tomatoes.

I'd try and sneak in a little Nutra Small Bites but he's just pick around it for the meat and vegetables. The vet said his diet was fine.

His diet of choice wasn't my choice. He was 9 years spoiled when we got him and he trained me well.
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »

Archer's buddy who also shows up here is a Great Pyrenees as well - still a pup and half the size of Archer but he has that mottled brown color on his nose and tail...so cute! I'm kind excited, in a way that Miyuki is pregnant because we are pretty sure Archer is the dad...they will be GORGEOUS dogs and full Pyrenees so I can sell them to the ranches around here as guard dogs.

Oh, I bet they will be so so sweet. When the pups are ready to pose, please post a pic or 10! I'd love to see what they look like.

• RowdysLady
    Options
    Will do @suzqtme!
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    We currently have 2 dogs, 1 cat, a guinea pig, roughly 12 chickens and 3 turkeys. The birds are pets as its unlikely they will be eaten, though the eggs we eat. Turkeys occasionally lay large eggs that can be eaten. :smile: We're getting another cat in 2 weeks because we had one die a few months ago and the one we still have is not adjusting to being an only cat. She's driving me nuts.
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I love all your pets.

I have a half breed Rottie. He is just sooo smart. I taught him to herd my sheep.

I have 30 sheep, 27 chickens and 3 dogs. They are all my pets but don't let my lovely spouse know, he thinks I raise the sheep for food.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    My baby "Furby". First pic is from Mar when I got him (that is when I lost Ollie, my hairy hairless Chinese Crested, to a traumatic disc rupture). I thought I would never be able to love a dog as much as I loved Ollie, but Furby has stolen my heart. I also have two cats that I love. My boy get Freshpet so low carb.

fejoq3u38box.jpg
    5tb5h3lssx2q.jpg
    pyftn5sl9pjp.png

• esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Ok question: for those that feed their pets keto, what exactly do you feed them? We just got Charlie last week, she's 10 weeks now. And she hardly eats her food. Her previous owner fed her Purina. We give her Blue Buffalo Wilderness puppy brand kibble.

Blue Buffalo is a good brand. I buy the Nutro (Green bag) Lamb and Rice...so mine aren't Keto but both those brands are good quality and made with limited ingredients. They also get chicken, steak and pork scraps from our dinner :smile:
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    As a side note...my boy, Furby, should have been about 9-10 lbs as an adult. This is based upon both info provided by the breeder about his parents (I did see both parents...mom was 9 lbs, dad was 8 lbs). and dog weight calculators. EVERY calculator predicted an adult weight of approx 9 lbs. Zuchons are not part of the algorithm so I had to look at both Bichon & Shih Tzu info. My boy is 15 lbs...not a bit of fat...just solid muscle...this boy is a brute for his breed. My family has always believed pets (& children) thrive on love & good food, so I must be doing something right!
  • klaak
    klaak Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    We have three fur babies a 3 year old dog Lilly and two little rescue kitties about 8 months old, Smokey Girl and Tigger Babysocks. Lilly eats grain free dog food and raw meat but kitties not so, yet. They are all so spoiled and such wonderful little companions
  • klaak
    klaak Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    We also have three goats: Muffin, Buttercup and Robert. Oh and between 20-30 rabbits at any given time. In fact, we should have more babies in a month!
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Currently, I have a Shorkie (Shih Tzu/Yorkie) that is also larger and heavier than he was supposed to be, at approx. 22 lbs. He eats grain free Blue Diamond due to food allergies. He's my sweetie, but such a mess! lol I usually have a big dog and a small dog at the same time, but our Dalmation passed away and we haven't committed to another one yet.
    ETA: I am pretty sure it's the Shih Tzu in them that makes them heavy.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    klaak wrote: »
    We have three fur babies a 3 year old dog Lilly and two little rescue kitties about 8 months old, Smokey Girl and Tigger Babysocks. Lilly eats grain free dog food and raw meat but kitties not so, yet. They are all so spoiled and such wonderful little companions

Awww you have a Lilly too! What breed is she? I think I am going to switch my puppies to grain free food. What brand do you buy?
    I don't know why I would be nervous about feeding them raw meat...they are carnivores! lol Maybe I will see how they do on some as a treat once or twice per week.