Planned breaks - who takes them?

Options
moonlights
moonlights Posts: 141 Member
First of all, I know in an ideal world we would all stay flawlessly on plan forever. I know I don't need to come off my plan. At most events over the holidays I could just eat the meat and veg on offer and at others I could not eat anything. I know I feel best when not eating carbs. I know I can choose not to take a break. I know that for many people one bite of sugar ends up in a major wagon fall. I know it's smartest for most people to stay on plan. I'm not even craving carbs right now.

But I'm still going to take a planned break this Christmas.

I've been at this Keto lark for many years and one thing I have learned is that, while I can and have stayed on plan for holidays, it makes me resentful. I seem to be able to take two weeks off, give myself a set restart date and climb back up and carry merrily on with my normal low carb lifestyle. But if I get resentful I fall off the wagon accidentally, have an all out binge, and often take months or years to get back on plan.

Planned breaks work for me. I have Christmas lunches, a funeral, a party and a Chinese buffet dinner to go to over a two week period and my planned break means I can eat what I want on those occasions and not worry. I tend not to pick things that will make me feel terrible anyway (e.g. Bread) but I can make the best choices and not fret. Inbetweentimes I will eat moderate (under 100g) carbs as I don't want to swing in and out of Keto.

At the end of my two planned weeks I'll go straight back to my usual Keto eating habits, no fasts or blasts just what I know works.

I tend to have a planned break like this around 3 times a year. Ironically it helps me stay on plan in between - if I'm at a special occasion dinner and everyone is having amazing desserts, I can stay on plan and think - well if I want one of those I'll have it on my break. It helps me not feel resentful.

I know I'll gain around 7lb over the 2 weeks, I know most of it will be water and I know it will come off again. I won't let my progress be slowed by random days off here and there, I just package my days off into a bundle and accept the time it will take to work it off again.

This is a lifestyle/lifetime for me so I'm not worried about losing a week.

And a couple of weeks off plan usually reminds me why I'm on plan to begin with.

As I say, a lot of people either can't take breaks or don't want to, and that is Fantastic if it's what works for you. This is what works for me. Anyone else do what I do?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I won't take two weeks off like you can. I would be too derailed. Cravings would come back and it would be hard to climb back on the wagon.

I have splurged at certain meals, just a few times per year. Maybe I'll have cake on my birthday or a cinnamon bun on Xmas morning. I try to make it count. Something special. It doesn't get more special than homemade cinnamon buns!

So I tend to stay keto, or at least low carb, but I do increase calories for days at a time. It's sort of a diet break, but I still eat within this woe 90+% of the time.
  • mbonacci12
    mbonacci12 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I would try to just go off the days that something is going on. For me, that was what has derailed me ("I'll start again after New Years", etc) in the past. I never get back on!

For Thanksgiving, I just ate what I wanted at the dinner that day, and got right back on. Christmas I will do the same.
    Everyone is different though!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I've definitely had days (and recently a solid week) of making bad choices, but none have been planned. Though eating this way makes it much easier than ever before in my life to get back on track after eating off plan, it's still a difficult challenge that I don't enjoy, so I would never plan an intentional break. However, I have often made a conscious choice to increase my food volume if I'm dealing with cravings. Bringing my weight loss to a halt is better than derailing my diet all together, so that works out better for me. But, if you don't struggle with food addiction and binge eating like I do, you may not struggle as much with a break and may find it relieves your cravings in a positive way.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,950 Member
    Options
    Not 2 weeks, but I do for very special occasions. I eat on-plan all day, and the evening is for the indulgence. The next morning I'm right back on-plan like nothing ever happened. I often find I end up spontaneously IFing until later in the day due to lack of hunger. No guilt, but no excuses. :smile:
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    moonlights wrote: »
    First of all, I know in an ideal world we would all stay flawlessly on plan forever. I know I don't need to come off my plan. At most events over the holidays I could just eat the meat and veg on offer and at others I could not eat anything. I know I feel best when not eating carbs. I know I can choose not to take a break. I know that for many people one bite of sugar ends up in a major wagon fall. I know it's smartest for most people to stay on plan. I'm not even craving carbs right now.

But I'm still going to take a planned break this Christmas.

I've been at this Keto lark for many years and one thing I have learned is that, while I can and have stayed on plan for holidays, it makes me resentful. I seem to be able to take two weeks off, give myself a set restart date and climb back up and carry merrily on with my normal low carb lifestyle. But if I get resentful I fall off the wagon accidentally, have an all out binge, and often take months or years to get back on plan.

Planned breaks work for me. I have Christmas lunches, a funeral, a party and a Chinese buffet dinner to go to over a two week period and my planned break means I can eat what I want on those occasions and not worry. I tend not to pick things that will make me feel terrible anyway (e.g. Bread) but I can make the best choices and not fret. Inbetweentimes I will eat moderate (under 100g) carbs as I don't want to swing in and out of Keto.

At the end of my two planned weeks I'll go straight back to my usual Keto eating habits, no fasts or blasts just what I know works.

I tend to have a planned break like this around 3 times a year. Ironically it helps me stay on plan in between - if I'm at a special occasion dinner and everyone is having amazing desserts, I can stay on plan and think - well if I want one of those I'll have it on my break. It helps me not feel resentful.

I know I'll gain around 7lb over the 2 weeks, I know most of it will be water and I know it will come off again. I won't let my progress be slowed by random days off here and there, I just package my days off into a bundle and accept the time it will take to work it off again.

This is a lifestyle/lifetime for me so I'm not worried about losing a week.

And a couple of weeks off plan usually reminds me why I'm on plan to begin with.

As I say, a lot of people either can't take breaks or don't want to, and that is Fantastic if it's what works for you. This is what works for me. Anyone else do what I do?

After my last break it broke me from taking breaks. :(
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I take breaks if it is a special occasion. On my birthday, Christmas, holidays, I'm a bit more relaxed regarding fruit and sugar so that I can eat a proper dessert and not resent being deprived.

But it's been two and a half years since I had any form of wheat, rice, corn or potatoes and I don't intend to have them ever again. I can vividly remember how much I liked those foods and how huge were the portions that I considered normal and the constant hunger and thinking about food all the time and having snacks hidden around everywhere. No, just no. Never again.

As I see it, for me, it's a matter of controlled damage. I know I shouldn't eat any of it but mentally I'm not ready to say no to all carbs yet so I choose to say no to the worst triggers. I can say no everyday to bread, pasta, cakes, etc. partly because I trade them for the occasional fruit or good quality dessert.

And what's great is that when I do have those treats, I enjoy them less and less each time. Even fruit, that I've always loved, I can no longer eat in large quantities and I now prefer fruits that are naturally lower in sugar.

I'm hoping one day my body will be able to guide me towards what's good for me and I will truly not see what's bad for me as food, the same way that cat food is theoretically edible by humans but I don't want to try it when I serve my cat.

All this to say that for most of us this is a forever woe. We have to find what makes it work for us. As long as we achieve our goals there's no need to be stricter than we have to be.

::flowerforyou::
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I can't do breaks. a cheat meal turn to a cheat day to a cheat week with me. I'm better just choosing the best I can. I will have mashed potatoes for christmas dinner if I feel like them amd if I don't I won't. for me if I were to take a break between christmas and new years I would eat everything I could in that week...for me it just doesn't work for me.

glad it works for you though!!
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    @moonlights I admire that you can take a two week break and get right back on plan. I've only been doing LCHF about 7 months, so this is my first holiday season trying to stay low-carb. I threw caution to the wind on Thanksgiving Day and the day after (lots of stuffing and pie), and felt like something the cat dragged in for over a week afterward.

It was easy for me to eat on plan again, because the thought of eating more carbs was nauseating. I haven't really decided what to do about Christmas. We normally have a big family get-together Christmas Eve with lots of yummy food, so I will have decisions to make.
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Hmm. I wouldn't trust myself to take a break from not smoking....

Exactly this. I know in my heart of hearts if I had a cigarette today, I'd be a smoker again by Wednesday. Food, same thing. A planned break would lead right back to my carboholic tendencies within days. An occasional blip or splurge is much easier to digest than an all out reset would be, for me.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I agree with the blips and splurges. There's no way I'd ever consider two weeks! It really is easier for me at this point, to reconcile with the occasional meal or even day. I feel like it may be the key to me staying keto for the long haul, not just to try and hurry weight loss.
    Maybe it's mental, but knowing that if I want to eat x food, of course I can! But only until it's gone and then it's pretty easy to jump back into keto.
    If two weeks works for you, then do the dang thing!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I usually do 2 weeks at maintenance for about every 6 weeks of calorie reduction, but I'm low carb, not keto, and I don't alter my macro ratios for my breaks, I just switch from loss calorie levels to maintenance calorie levels...I did go 6 months at loss calorie levels last year and that was super hard, so I think I'll stick to the 6 on 2 off rotation for next year, it seems to work for me.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I don't take extended breaks. Over the last 15 months of being keto I have had lasagna and a hot fudge sundae on my birthday, a sushi roll and a gluten free cupcake on my anniversary, and some homemade ice cream at a family reunion. At holiday dinners I usually go slightly higher than my typical 30ish net carbs to around 50, so the upper end of keto...I use the extra to have very small portions of the higher carb sides. I am gluten free due to celiac so honestly at most parties and holiday dinners I can't eat the goodies anyhow so it's not a big deal to stay on plan.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I agree with the blips and splurges. There's no way I'd ever consider two weeks! It really is easier for me at this point, to reconcile with the occasional meal or even day. I feel like it may be the key to me staying keto for the long haul, not just to try and hurry weight loss.
    Maybe it's mental, but knowing that if I want to eat x food, of course I can! But only until it's gone and then it's pretty easy to jump back into keto.
    If two weeks works for you, then do the dang thing!

Do you buy tiny hard-to-open containers that could barely feed a paramecium or family-sized, 55-gallon fun drums of funny foods?

158DZyCOuSRho7QQAMivsTELXAfcBt3ZTrq8iYyB_jw.jpg?w=415&s=3cf7120cf555210680082a621628a838
  • RalfLott
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hmm. I wouldn't trust myself to take a break from not smoking....

Exactly this. I know in my heart of hearts if I had a cigarette today, I'd be a smoker again by Wednesday. Food, same thing. A planned break would lead right back to my carboholic tendencies within days. An occasional blip or splurge is much easier to digest than an all out reset would be, for me.

Ha! I'd be a smoker again before the first one was even all the way out of the pack. :s

My endocrinologist explained that I'd need to get back on carbs for at least 3 days for a Glucose Tolerance Test to produce useful results. And wheat & gluten for a couple weeks for tests to see if I should eliminate them (from my diet).

Probably wouldn't trust myself there, either (if the results mattered o:) ).
  • Rainqueen77
    Rainqueen77 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I hosted a 16th birthday party yesterday. I've been melting chocolates and baking cookies, cupcakes and pasta and all kinds of crap for weeks now. I had my coffee before the party and didn't have anything but water and a few meatballs (handmade by me - no breadcrumbs) at the party.
    BUT, I already have my birthday dinner sushi planned for New Years Eve birthday dinner. That is my planned break, just for a meal.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @midwesterner85 -
    What would be the purpose and process of re-feeding?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 -
    What would be the purpose and process of re-feeding?

Hoping to increase RMR. I've been eating at a deficit for so long and have to eat so little to lose at this point. If I can't get to goal in another 2-3 months, I might try a re-feed before returning to a deficit and low carb again.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    No planned breaks for me though I do squeeze in a higher carb "something" every now and then. Last one was a homemade ginger snap. 9 carbs in a little bitty cookie. I did fine with that.

The problem with me taking a planned break is that I eat keto for a health reason other than weight. I could deal with a few extra pounds but if I string too many carby days together or have a 1 time super carb binge, the Dystonia acts up and I once again feel like someone put my head in a vice and is trying to rip my head off my shoulders. And I look like Linda Blair in the Exorcist. Neither comfortable nor attractive. :/ I think sometimes this makes sticking to plan easier than if it were "just" a few pounds.

I completely "get" what you're saying about "resentment" though @moonlights. The few major carb binges I have had occurred after spending time with others watching them enjoy all the tasty sweet bites and restraining myself. Beach trips. Parties. When I go to a party now, I stay away from the food table so I don't see others "picking" till their heart is content. We have to learn our food and social triggers. Reading your original post it does seem you use some carb sense. Kudos for knowing what works and what does not for you.