Sugar craving and PMS

Options
This is for the ladies. How do you cope with hormonal sugar craving ? Does anyone know if this is related to a certain vitamin or mineral dificiency ? How could I improve what I eat to not get monthly hormonal sugar cravings ?

Does anyone have any successful experience with this ?

Replies

• HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I eat dark chocolate...it has less sugar and some health benifits. YUM! Also, I'll bake granola/peanutbutter/chocolate bars if i need something more substantial, but then that usually has to count towards a meal because they do have some calories:smile:
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Also the less sugar you eat the less you will crave it...you just have to battle through the first month!
  • cmje94066
    cmje94066 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I seem to crave chocolate and chips. You really can't do much about it, but just have it in moderation. work it off and enjoy the week of all that great PMS.
  • lifescircle
    Options
    Once I eliminated most processed foods, I don't really crave any processed stuff.

When I do want something sweet, I have greek yogurt, plain baked sweet potato, banana, or something like that. Occasionally, I bake some vegan brownies (which are very good) or banana bread. But I don't even eat that much anymore. I have brownies in the freezer now, but I pretty much eat the yogurt, sweet potato and the like... even peanut butter is like a sweet treat to me.

I used to crave sugar, chocolate, salty stuff (chips). Now, not so much.

It is a process of eliminating the processed stuff. Your body gets used to it and craves it more during those times.

I look at the vending machines at work now and nothing in there is appealing to me.

I do still eat chips, tortilla chips. I've found some good organic ones that taste better than Doritos. But they sell out fast at the grocery store.

Perhaps start off replacing those surgery things with things like dried fruit, organic if possible... dried cranberries in your salad, raisins, etc. Be sure to check the ingredients, even with dried fruit. Make sure there aren't any additives.

Always check the ingredients... even if it says "organic".
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I often have a dreadful time before my TOM and it seems to run for a week now whereas when younger, it was only a few days before.
    I tend to end up binge eating, but I think what would help is to get some sprouted wheat bread, as that is actually very sweet, contains literally only wheat, and has stopped me from snacking on processed sweet foods when I have a slice with some philadelphia or somesuch.

You can get it on amazon. It is so sweet, you would be quite surprised it is literally only sprouted wheat as the ingredient.
    Alternatively, get some frozen yoghurt and be done with it, or a protein bar, so you at least get something of nutritional benefit.