Getting back on Keto wagon (January challenge 2017)

Options

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I ate too much over the holidays. Happy to say I stayed Keto though - after 4 years I just can't put carb foods in my mouth, it's akin to the idea of eating dog hair, or pond scum, or maybe a fish head. It's just not food :)

Gained a few hundred grams over Xmas, so

Start weight 90.4kg
    Goal by end of January 88kg
    Expected weight by end of January 89.9kg (I'm the worlds slowest loser).

We'll see if I'm right :)

We share that feeling. I couldn't eat crackers if sick now. I would either stick with egg drop soup made with simple boullion or bone broth if I had some made at the time. Or just fast.
    Doesn't water fasting do something about cleaning out junky cells and kicking the immune system in the butt or something? Lol
    I know I'm super technical n stuff. But seriously it's because I don't know. Just thought I'd heard that somewhere...
    Nobody take that info as anything more than the half formed memory it is.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    @amyinthetardis1231 take it easy and take care of yourself. I really like chicken broth with a little butter or coconut oil when I'm not feeling well. I hope you feel better soon!!
  • nicee247
    nicee247 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @amyinthetardis1231 How do you feel now. Try to get some rest with a lot of water. Don't feel guilty, just get better and start again.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    So yesterday my super sweet middle boy baked cookies. Peanut butter cookies. And then informed me that he had used my gluten free flour so that I could have some too. ❤️❤️❤️ so I did because there was no way I was turning that boy down after he changed his recipe for me!! And the carb spike triggered all my cravings and then I had a very high carb, very unplanned day because I felt like I had already gone off plan so why not make a day of it?! Ugh. So, today and tomorrow the plan is to fat fast. Get back into keto quickly, break my cravings, make my body feel less sluggish again. Heavy cream in my coffee has been breakfast and lunch so far, eggs and butter and avocado planned for supper.

I hope everyone is doing well. And as a warning...stay away from the cookies. Lol!
  • HairTie1
    HairTie1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    HairTie1 wrote: »
    I'm in. On a journey to qualify for Boston at Chicago Marathon in October using fat for fuel. Had 4 weeks of solid ketosis from Thanksgiving to Christmas, then I punted for a week with two days of major binge in there. Back on the wagon as of December 31st and seeing my first detectable ketones this morning. Woot!

Current: 184 pounds
    Target end of January: 176 pounds (assumes 4 pounds of water weight will slide off this week)
    Racing weight for 2017 season: 170 (goal to be here and stable by end of March for a half marathon PR)

Giddy-up!
    Nick

Hey, I'm glad to encounter another distance runner here! Have you done a marathon before while on low carb? I'm curious about your experience and any tips you might have.

This is my first keto experience as an endurance athlete, so I can't help you with tips. I'm doing my own research though and my plan includes:

1. Base period (next 5 months). One month driving to optimal ketosis (1.5 to 3.0). 3 months experimenting with fueling for long runs... only fuel prior to runs, not during. Want to continue to train body to prefer fat for fuel late in runs. (UCAN + VESPA)
    2. Build + Peak period (20 weeks prior to race through race day). As long runs get longer adapt fueling strategy to include UCAN and VESPA during run. Thoroughly test this fueling combination and check ketones before and after each long run.
    3. Adapt if either UCAN or VESPA is not working for any reason (bonks, GI issues, ketone levels not where they should be, etc.)
    4. Pre-race, do some very light "carb sneaking" (reference VESPA guidance) the day before. Morning of, UCAN bar + liquid fats (heavy MCTs) for breakfast, UCAN liquid + VESPA pre-race. Probably only one redose of UCAN + VESPA mid-race.

NOTE: This is an expensive approach. These supplements are not cheap. However, they seem to have credible bodies of scientific evidence behind them and plenty of fat-fueled elite athletes seeing the benefits.

Cheers,
    Nick
  • HairTie1
    Options
    dvmmcw4015 wrote: »
    @mountainrun73 and @HairTie1 - I did several 10Ks and a 10 miler using fat for fuel and I felt great. I don't know how a marathon would compare, other than being a lot harder (!), but I think that if your body has had time to adjust and burn fat efficiently you should feel great. Keep us posted- would love to know how your training goes.

I'll update here for sure once I've got some data to share. In December, I found that during my first month of keto my training quality suffered (pace:hr) ratio decreased and HRV indicated a very heavy stress load. Not really a surprise considering I've abused my body for 40 years and likely driven my metabolism to pre-diabetic levels of insulin resistance. This next test will last at least 10 months (with only minor transgressions during vacations) so while my journey is just beginning I'm committed and that's 95% of the battle. I will BQ at Chicago 2017.
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Finally yesterday I started eating right. And I'm in. It's ridiculous how each day I got worse with the days after Christmas. But now ready to go.

I'll post my weight on Monday when I hope my Christmas bloat will be down to my lowest before Christmas if not near there (194.6pounds). My goal this month is a bit aggressive. 182 pounds by Feb 1st. I regret a bit having lost all this time that could have been progress instead of regress but gotta keep looking forward.

I'll have bpc now -- which really keeps me full and well, though messes up my sleep at night. And so looking forward to something with fathead crust for dinner. And probably some lettuce and a few strawberries with whipped cream after.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    nicee247 wrote: »
    @amyinthetardis1231 How do you feel now. Try to get some rest with a lot of water. Don't feel guilty, just get better and start again.

Thanks for asking. I saw my doc today bc I've just been getting worse, now with laryngitis, bronchitis, and pinkeye. It's a nasty viral infection that takes up for 4 weeks to clear out! I'm starting a steroid pack today that should halve my recovery time but will prob mess with my blood sugar and has a side effect of nausea. I'm just going to eat whatever keeps nausea at bay until this is done, then back on the horse I go.
  • nicee247
    nicee247 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @mellie2fit2quit there you go. Good job.

• Beachlady228
    Beachlady228 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Need all the help I can get to start out the year after a 15 pound gain.

CW: 188
    GW Jan 31: 178

On day 3. My diary is public.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    solska wrote: »
    I'll have bpc now -- which really keeps me full and well, though messes up my sleep at night.

I hope you're drinking decaf coffee since you have previously mentioned sleep issues on several occasions. Caffeine does tend to disrupt the sleep of many.
  • jonmdelong
    jonmdelong Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm in too! Had a couple bad days over Christmas break (not terrible, just some junk Christmas candy and whatnot). Thankfully I didn't gain any weight. I definitely didn't lose any for a week though...

CW: 225
    GW Jan 31: 215
    GW June 30: 195

I'm interested in knowing how others in the group approach drinks? Does anyone have success with drinking diet soda? Is it true that Aspartame can trick your body into thinking you are ingesting sugar?
  • cimarrona27
    cimarrona27 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm in too B)

CW 185
    Next milestone 179
    GW 150

Got really sick and then got lazy with tracking and being active.

Looking forward to feeling accomplished at the end of each day. :)
  • chrystalc2014
    chrystalc2014 Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Started again (3rd time) on Jan 2nd. Need to lose 100lbs+
    SW: 277
    GW: 170
    Would like to be down 15 lbs by end of January
  • mbonacci12
    mbonacci12 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Gained 5 lbs last week, almost gone today (.2 away)
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm in. On a journey to qualify for Boston at Chicago Marathon in October using fat for fuel. Had 4 weeks of solid ketosis from Thanksgiving to Christmas, then I punted for a week with two days of major binge in there. Back on the wagon as of December 31st and seeing my first detectable ketones this morning. Woot!

Target end of January: 176 pounds (assumes 4 pounds of water weight will slide off this week)
    Racing weight for 2017 season: 170 (goal to be here and stable by end of March for a half marathon PR)

Giddy-up!
    Nick

Hey, I'm glad to encounter another distance runner here! Have you done a marathon before while on low carb? I'm curious about your experience and any tips you might have.

This is my first keto experience as an endurance athlete, so I can't help you with tips. I'm doing my own research though and my plan includes:

1. Base period (next 5 months). One month driving to optimal ketosis (1.5 to 3.0). 3 months experimenting with fueling for long runs... only fuel prior to runs, not during. Want to continue to train body to prefer fat for fuel late in runs. (UCAN + VESPA)
    2. Build + Peak period (20 weeks prior to race through race day). As long runs get longer adapt fueling strategy to include UCAN and VESPA during run. Thoroughly test this fueling combination and check ketones before and after each long run.
    3. Adapt if either UCAN or VESPA is not working for any reason (bonks, GI issues, ketone levels not where they should be, etc.)
    4. Pre-race, do some very light "carb sneaking" (reference VESPA guidance) the day before. Morning of, UCAN bar + liquid fats (heavy MCTs) for breakfast, UCAN liquid + VESPA pre-race. Probably only one redose of UCAN + VESPA mid-race.

NOTE: This is an expensive approach. These supplements are not cheap. However, they seem to have credible bodies of scientific evidence behind them and plenty of fat-fueled elite athletes seeing the benefits.

Cheers,
    Nick

Congrats on going for a serious tryout on keto adaptation ☺ You seem to have a clear plan. If you don't mind, I have a suggestion.
    1. Try establish a baseline first, before you start using exogenous ketones. Why?
    1a. If you first establish the acclaimed enzyme and mitochondria upregulation as a MECHANISM in the body, you force the body to get really good at burning fat and therefore produce ketones as byproduct. By giving exogenous too early....you might miss out on the rumored "extra benefits" after appx. 6 months in keto adapted state.
    1b. Forget about performance the first month...or two. Let your body transition. Then ramp up whatever pace or time goals you have.
    1c. Only a guess but if you give the body any substance you want the body to produce, I don't know how that affects the mechanism you desire to take place. Test the extra ketones now and then, but not on every training session.
    2. If you're able, I highly recommend phasing in fasted training after a while.
    3. Ask in r/ketogains many there use a boost up before training. I'm really not sure if you need it as a marathon runner.
    4. Take collagen to help connective tissue and joints.

I'm not a coach or a runner or athlete, but did the transition in fall 2014. And I used to train 2 hrs daily for over a year.

Edit: Forgot to say. Look up FASTER study with Volek and Ben Greenfield's site if you want more info about keto and endurance. Good luck whichever choices you make!
  • HairTie1
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »

Giddy-up!
    Nick

Cheers,
    Nick

Congrats on going for a serious tryout on keto adaptation ☺ You seem to have a clear plan. If you don't mind, I have a suggestion.
    1. Try establish a baseline first, before you start using exogenous ketones. Why?
    1a. If you first establish the acclaimed enzyme and mitochondria upregulation as a MECHANISM in the body, you force the body to get really good at burning fat and therefore produce ketones as byproduct. By giving exogenous too early....you might miss out on the rumored "extra benefits" after appx. 6 months in keto adapted state.
    1b. Forget about performance the first month...or two. Let your body transition. Then ramp up whatever pace or time goals you have.
    1c. Only a guess but if you give the body any substance you want the body to produce, I don't know how that affects the mechanism you desire to take place. Test the extra ketones now and then, but not on every training session.
    3. Ask in r/ketogains many there use a boost up before training. I'm really not sure if you need it as a marathon runner.

I'm not a coach or a runner or athlete, but did the transition in fall 2014. And I used to train 2 hrs daily for over a year.

Only fools are not open to suggestion! A beginner's mindset may be the single most important mental attitude for success.

1. Great add. I was thinking of only using pure MCT supplementation prior to shorter anaerobic workouts. Training quality is so important in breakthrough workouts that I don't want my energy source to be a limiter. Threshold mile repeats are head enough as it is. ;-)

2. I'm already on board with fasting training. September through December I did it pretty consistently twice a week. Problem was I did it before higher intensity, shorter workouts which resulted in poor performance. That's okay during prep/base period, but I can't do that once I get in season so I'm going to have to reconfigure the fasting days before longer z1/z2 training.

3. Is "r/ketogains" another forum group here?

4. Will look into it.

R/Nick
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »

Giddy-up!
    Nick

Cheers,
    Nick

Only fools are not open to suggestion! A beginner's mindset may be the single most important mental attitude for success.

1. Great add. I was thinking of only using pure MCT supplementation prior to shorter anaerobic workouts. Training quality is so important in breakthrough workouts that I don't want my energy source to be a limiter. Threshold mile repeats are head enough as it is. ;-)

2. I'm already on board with fasting training. September through December I did it pretty consistently twice a week. Problem was I did it before higher intensity, shorter workouts which resulted in poor performance. That's okay during prep/base period, but I can't do that once I get in season so I'm going to have to reconfigure the fasting days before longer z1/z2 training.

3. Is "r/ketogains" another forum group here?

4. Will look into it.

R/Nick

Fasted training requires even more sodium than lowcarb without exercise. I claim that lack of adequate salt is the number 1 reason people feel crappy on lowcarb.

-r/ketogains is a subreddit on reddit.com. for people on keto who exercise. There's also the century bicycle rider on 2ketodudes.com. You can also do a small carbup booster 15 min before anaerobic work. Like 15 g dextrose powder. I use Haribo... But a lot is placebo too, lol. I can do 3 hrs fasted training starting with 1 hr of sprints... IMO the people who feel like *kitten* doing anaerobic work, didn't salt enough preworkout. The FASTER study reports that keto adaptation actually refills glycogen in muscles on a regular basis in endurance athletes. So it's a myth keto depletes glycogen (permanently). I'm in a hurry for a party. But pm me if you want more info how I did it.