Janu-ready for a new You (January workout thread)

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    kind of struggling not to sulk because this is really discouraging. but it was t-day and i went, so there's that.

bike ride first. it's been below freezing all week so the rides haven't been all that pleasant. but i'm finding that the initial part through real downtown is totally giving me hiit time on my way home. i gun like hell just to not get stopped at every block by every light. that got me all the way to t-space within 25 minutes or so, and then i had a hell of a long cold wait before he actually showed up to open the gym.

i did 10's of bench, sigh. 65 was the top set where i actually got all ten reps. sixty-five!!! that's so pitiful, trying to be grownup but i really am sad. it upset me so much i went for one last set at 70 and got all the way to 7 or 8.

squats were bad; that's all. i've got the hip pinch and just can't get them right. i ate all day long too, literally :D just wasn't my day, i suppose. i want it to warm up so bad. this is like being under siege all the time.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 3x5x30
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 19x7x30

40lbs loss by May 27 Challenge
    Fitness Test
    Push-ups-4x10
    Sit-ups- 4x10
    Jumping jacks- 4x10
  • jowaring
    jowaring Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Today's workout
    Squats 2x5@45lbs 5x5 89lbs
    Ohp 6x5 @45lbs
    Deadlift 2x5@55lbs 2x5@110lbs.
    Second workout with a slight deload,enjoyed it because it felt quite easy.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Workout B
    Squat-1X55/65/75, 5X5X 80
    OHP- 1X5X 45/50/60, 5X5X55
    DL- 1 X5 X95/105/115/120

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat 3X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing 19X7X30

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    Fitness Test
    Push-ups-4X 10
    Sit ups-4X 10
    Jumping jacks 4X10
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,987 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The few days traveling took it out of me - partly because I had trouble sleeping and partly because I forgot to drink enough water (and ate and drank too much otherwise).
    Today was the first day I worked out since last Tuesday.

5 minutes arm crank
    10 minutes walk-run treadmill

Started bench press feeling like I'd forgotten how to lift.
    3 x 5 @27.5 lb db felt heavy! then 2 x 5 @ 30 lb db felt better. Like I remembered how to lift.

Barbell row
    3 x 8 @ 60 lb.

OHP

5 x 5 @ 30 lb. Managed to do them all. Slow progress. I just had to tighten like crazy. Felt like I was helping the lifts when I tightened up my quads. Is that ok?

Bicep hammer curls

5 x 5 @ 15 lb db

Then 20 minutes treadmill run varying the incline and speed

I feel a LOT better than I did before the workout. I was worried there for a while but all is well.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    set out for the corner store just to do errands, fairly late. but i packed both pairs of lifting shoes and ended up . . . lifting :) junk lifting though as i've got this don't-wanna-get-back-on-a-programme thing going on. i think i just don't want to admit/face the deload i would be in if i took current weights seriously and then picked a workout cycle. so i'm wasting time imaginging that this kind of faffing around will somehow miraculously make me strong enough to pick up right where i left off. /meh.

anyway, i did 10-sets of press up to 50, and then a set of 5 at 55. after that i just stuck to the naked bar and did 5x10 for front and back squats. tried closing my eyes for most of the sets, and you know what? for better proprioception it might actually be a good thing. by the last two sets i really felt like i had my front squats in a groove, and the back squats might have picked up a little bit too as a result.

then i walked home. the dimpled non-stable slippery ice is still there for big stretches, so guess my tiny stabilizers did some work too.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 6x5x30
    Kettlebell Swing- 40x7x30

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    Fitness Test
    Push-ups-4x12
    Sit ups-4X 12
    Jumping jacks-4X 12
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Squats: warmup 2x5 @ 85, 3x5 @ 110, 2x5 @ 105
    Bench: 5x5 @ 60
    Rows: 1x5 then 2x10 @ 75. Went to 10s to get through them faster because I had to finish and get my daughter from the gym daycare before they went to their afternoon closure. Still detest rows but I actually liked doing them in higher rep sets better than the 5x5 so I might stick with that.
  • pezhed
    pezhed Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm back at StrongLifts again and thought I should start posting again in an attempt to stick with the program this time.

Today i did SL workout A:
    Squats 1x10@BW, 1x5@35lbs, 5x5@65lbs
    OHP 5x5@45lbs
    Deadlift 1x5@100lbs

I think I strained a groin muscle while squatting, though. I had so many cues running through my head that I think I was trying so hard not to let my knees cave in that I must have pulled my right leg out too hard?? I don't know. Annoying, to say the least. I hope it will clear up in a couple days. Running a 5k Saturday and hopeful that all will be well.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    Goblet squats 5 x 5 @ 42.5 lb (deload because the quad pain doesn't want to go away - I thought it had yesterday, because I ran without a problem. But several hours later it was back!! BAH!!)
    Deadlifts 5 x 5 @ 60 lb warm up on the leg curl machine first. Not good - mid-back hurt and I had to stop and concentrate on pushing my shoulders back and hinging from the hips. Could not bend down that far because my hamstrings are tight! BAH again
    Attempted back squats but still got pain in the triceps (capsulitis STILL not 100% gone). But at least my legs are strong enough that the bar alone is too light.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    i took my deadlift shoes to work but bypassed the gym when i was on my way home. dk if it's the ride or the squats or the fact that i reallllllly need to put air in my tires, but my legs were already throwing a fit.

eating cop-out dinner of powdered broccoli soup with some real broccoli in it. totally meh nutritionally but have to admit it tastes good.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    Well when you gotta rest, you gotta rest.

Upper quad is still bothering me, after yesterday's deloaded squats. BAH
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-3X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-20 X7X 30

Since I have the respiratory flu I feel horrible! My hubby wanted to give me a treat and brought me a chocolate frosted donut. So, I had to do at least a little exercise to burn those calories!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    incredible no-visibility rain for the past 48 hours, and today wind as well. as for the ice on the roads, this is the most tenacious fecking ice i've ever seen around here. we're getting november weather in january, so i'm trying to psych myself out by thinking it IS november, so that later on when it's february and march i'll be fooled into thinking we're heading into winter instead of emerging from it.

it makes sense, you guys. i promise. meanwhile i did a little gym time, but thumb definitely needs some injury time, so still not the real thing. i went up to 120 for 5's and then started to back down again. still not strong, but whatever. i'm playing the cards that i've got atm.

pan fried chicken liver in garlic for dinner. call me barbaric, see if i care. my mouth and body are both ecstatic about it..
  • jowaring
    jowaring Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Today's workout
    Squats 5x5 @89lbs .
    Bench 5x6@57lbs
    Rows 5x5@67lbs.
    Enjoyed today's workout all lifts felt easy.need to move up to the weight I was at before deload.i know failing is part of the game but feels so good to complete all sets easily lol.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Back to working weights. Question about warmups for squats--how much weight do others use to warm up? Empty bar? Certain percentage of working weight? I've been using a pretty high percentage of my working weight but as that goes up and I get more tired at the end, I'm wondering if I should change it. Also, I'm cheap and didn't buy the power pack thingy for the SL app.

Squats 2x5 at 95 for warmup, 5x5 @ 112ish
    OHP (seated) 4x5 @ 50, 1x4 @ 50 and failed the last rep. Womp womp.
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 115. Was supposed to be 110 but I didn't feel like farting around with multiple smaller plates so I just threw the 35s on. It was still doable, so I'm not worried.
  • pezhed
    pezhed Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    @amyinthetardis1231 The SL website says:

On the Squat, Bench Press and Overhead Press you should always start with the empty bar. Add 10-20kg/25-45lb per set until you reach your work set. Never do more than 5 reps per set. Decrease the reps as the weight increases. This prevents getting tired while giving warming up your body and giving you form practice.

Read more https://stronglifts.com/5-rules-to-find-your-perfect-warm-up-weight/

Hopefully that helps!

Today I did SL workout B.
    Totally deloaded squat because I'm still having some pain in my right groin so:
    Squats:
    Warm-up: 1x10@BW, 1x5@45lbs
    1x5@65lbs, 4x5@45lbs
    Bench:
    5x5@50lbs
    Rows:
    5x5@70lbs

This groin pain is really annoying me as I want to progress my squat. But hopefully if I just keep it at 45lbs for a while it will take care of itself.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75, 5X5X 85
    BP-1X5X 45/55/65, 5X 5X70
    BR-1X5 80, 5X 5X85

For now this is all I am going to do for today. Unless I feel a lot better later tonight. I still have the respiratory flu.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    #%$@&$*%#!!!!

My workout today SUCKED BOLLOCKS!!!!

My own damned fault because I did some biceps and shoulder exercises yesterday as well as 30 minutes on the arm crank ergometer.

I tried doing barbell bench press instead of my usual dumbbell bench press. I did just the bar and was doing 3 x 10 to warm up, but it felt odd. Felt harder in a way than the dumbbells. I'm going to have to do more barbell bench press as well.

Then went to dumbbell bench press. Tried to do 32.5 lb but only managed 1 x 4, 1 x 3. Then did 3 x 5 @ 30 lb. Probably because I was tired from other things.

Then I wanted to use the fixed 60 lb barbell for barbell rows and could NOT for the life of me find it anywhere! All I saw were the EZ bars. The place was crawling with people. I tried the 70 and my lower back started to hurt. Finally found the 50 barbell and did 3 sets of 10.

I tried using a 30 lb barbell for back squats just to see if my shoulder was okay with that, and it was (thank heavens, progress!) Wanted to try the regular Oly bar next, but all squat racks were full. One guy said "No, I'm sorry, I'm doing lots of sets" and I couldn't work in. The poor guy was a skinny boney guy whose back bent and butt stuck out with each quarter squat, and the bar looked like it would slide off him. yikes!! I hope he didn't get hurt.

I also did some close-grip lat pulldowns, 1 x 10 @60 lb, 1 x 8 @ 70 lb, 3 x 5 @ 80 lb

grumble grumble grumble

Now sipping a glass of Pinot Noir. I feel better already.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Back to working weights. Question about warmups for squats--how much weight do others use to warm up?

mr t drew me some diagramme on his whiteboard when i was new, and i went yeahyeahyeah and didn't listen. but if i'm remembering right:

1. take the weight of the bar.
    2. subtract that from the weight you intend to work at when you get to work sets (if you're doing a range of weights for work sets, then take the lightest of those).
    3. divide the difference by two or three.

the idea is that you do three or four warmup sets. always warm up with the bar (65 for deadlifts, personally). then you just do the math to give yourself fairly even jumps until you've arrived at your work weight.

otoh, mark bell said something on one of his youtubes that i also went yeah-yeah to, but i kind of liked it. he basically said you can do as many warmup sets as you like (or need). so long as you keep the REPS really low. so according to bell, you can do a zillion warmup sets, just so long as you're just doing triples. i actually kind of like that for bench just because it can take me so much longer to feel like my form is settled.