Janu-ready for a new You (January workout thread)

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    another gong-showish ride in to work. and back out again :) the snow is fiiiinally gone but there are always more ways to get lost. and i switched back to my regular bike which is so much easier to ride with, but the amount of sand people threw down to deal with the snow is insane. it's basically six weeks' worth of accumulation all coming out of suspension at once. so now there are all these equally-treacherous loose-gravel drifts everywhere and i'm still going slow.

any one of the conditions around this ride could improve and i'd be so much much much happier. i already am on some fronts. really happy that the beater bike with the studded tires won't get to beat me up anymore. the route itself can't be fixed in any way; it just is what it is. so now if we could just do something about the black dark and the pissing-down rain . . .

forgot to mention that i sherpa'd my squat shoes, but when it came time to change back for the return trip i realised you can't go lift in a public gym wearing stanfields' long johns. it totally escaped me this morning because of course while i'm riding they're hidden behind my my muddy-buddies. so skipped it.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell Workout
    GobletSquats- 3x5x30
    Russian Kettlebell swing- 20x7x30

I was tired of laying around!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-21X7X 30

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    Fitness Test
    Push-ups-4×12
    Sit ups-4×12
    Jumping jacks-4×12

I am feeling much better today. I will still rest as much as possible today.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Kettlebell Workout
    Goblet squats-3X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-21X5X 30

Sitting in a hotel room waiting for my DH's meeting to get over. I got bored! Still not feeling up to par, but I thought I would swing a little :D
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    token-squat stop on way home today. can't say i'm not trying, but honestly . . . i wake up in the morning, i come home in the evening, and the theraband goes round my knees to try keep my glutes in the game. the bike commute is a good thing, but i'm definitely paying for it in this other respect.
  • jowaring
    jowaring Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Today's workout
    Squats warmup set then.5x5 @89lbs
    Ohp 1x5@37lbs 5x5@47lbs.form still not great.
    Deadlift 1x5@60lbs 1x5@99lbs 2x5@121lbs.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Workout B
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75, 5X5X 85
    OHP- 1 X5X 45/50/60, 5X5X 55
    DL-1X5X 95/105/115/125

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 30

I am slowly getting back up to my lifting weights prior to my shoulder injury in October. I am still not back to perfect health but I am in a couple challenges and I do not want to give up!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    t-day. wow, crazy day. i got there though and glad i did. mr t. and i had a sober talk about what to do to put me back on the rails and i said let's take my two-level deload a cycle early and do it right now. and i'm glad i did. starting a 'new' cycle with 5's week, then.

press: 40/47.5/55. mr t don't need to know that i was five pounds light until the middle set, because i always forget that his 'special' bar is only 20 pounds, not 25 :tongue. so i jumped 12 pounds from first set to middle one, but it was still fine. and i thought the heavy set might give me trouble but i did 7 reps and felt i was stopping when you're actually supposed to for once. in other words, when you still have 'two in the tank'.

deadlift: 105/125/145. i can't say i understand it, but i CAN say that getting sick and then being in such physical disarray this whole month seems to have worked out really well, deadlift-wise. not so much that they felt light as that my form felt like it was completely on point. when i got to the final set i took it steady and paced myself, because i was not going to quit until i had ten reps. which i got :tongue:

i've got a bad case of that awful tight shoulder thing that everyone gets, but as far as lifting's concerned, it didn't seem to get in my way very much. i just can't roll/stretch it out. it's doing that thing where the moment you stop it goes right back to the way that it was, sigh.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,988 Member
    Options
    i've got a bad case of that awful tight shoulder thing that everyone gets, but as far as lifting's concerned, it didn't seem to get in my way very much. i just can't roll/stretch it out. it's doing that thing where the moment you stop it goes right back to the way that it was, sigh.
    @canadianlbs So the tight shoulders don't give you trouble when you do back squats? I have trouble with back squats unless I have my back worked on. My upper right arm hurt the last time I tried them (right shoulder capsulitis 95% healed) but after the physiotherapist worked on my back, I had no arm pain when doing squats.
  • jowaring
    jowaring Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    todays workout
    squats 3x5@91lbs 2x5@96lbs.
    bench 6x5@59lbs
    rows5x5@69lbs.will stay at this weight for rows could feel my form slipping towards the end.
    i also walked 5 miles this morning.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 30

40lbs loss by May 27 Challenge
    Fitness Test
    Push-ups-4×12
    Sit-ups -4×12
    Jumping jacks-4×12

I'm still trying to get over this respiratory flu! I think I am feeling better then it comes back and says fooled you! I almost had to quit at half way through!
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Squats: 1x5 with empty bar, 1x5 with 85, 1x5 1x5 with 95 to warm up. Playing with my warm up to see what feels best. Working set was 5x5 @ 115
    Benchpress: 5x5 @ 67
    Wretched rows: 2x10 and 1x5 @ 80
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    @canadianlbs So the tight shoulders don't give you trouble when you do back squats?

they used to, back before my own physio time. i had an internal rotation thing that was making a mess of me on the left, all the way through to one of my thoracic vertebrae. but in this case, i'm so relieved to have realised the real cause of friday's nightmare, and it's nothing to do with the squats. or the backpack probably.

i just forgot that i'd spent a while in my thursday workout doing 'packed' hangs from the pullup bar. that's where you're not trying to do a pullup, you just engage everything involved in the shoulderblade retraction, and then hold. for 30 seconds or so but obviously i either overdid it or i had no idea that a static hold could put that kind of a burn on the muscles involved. i'm still a little pingy but i think it was mostly doms because i feel much MUCH better now.

left home before 9 to meet a friend downtown, and i packed my squat shoes and then never did hit a gym in my wanderings. but i walked five or six miles, probably, so i feel pretty okay about that.
  • fanncy0626
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    BP-1X5X 55/65, 5X5X 75
    BR-5X5X 85

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-3X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-22X7X 30

Fitness Test
    Push-ups-4X 12
    Sit ups-4×12
    Jumping jacks- 4×12

I accidentally increased my benchpress! I increased the squats yesterday. The barbell row will probably stay where it is for a while.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    BP-1X5X 55/65, 5X5X 75
    BR-5X5X 85

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-3X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-22X7X 30

Fitness Test
    Push-ups-4X 12
    Sit ups-4×12
    Jumping jacks- 4×12

I accidentally increased my benchpress! I increase the squats yesterday. The barbell row will probably stay where it is for a while.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    It's pouring outside kitkats and poodles and is supposed to rain through tomorrow. Flash flood warnings. Well, So Cal can use it.
    I stepped out briefly to get groceries and see how the ducks were doing. Two ducks and one coot were out.

Worked out with free weights at home instead of going to the gym. (waits for folks from bad-weather areas to laugh)
    Got a set of adjustable dumbbells that go up to 25 lb.

3 sets of 10 reps 25 lb goblet squats then 2 x 6 reps with two 15-lb dumbbells squats. a considerable deload but my legs felt shaky anyway.

5 x 5 @ 15 lb dumbbells overhead press

1 x 5 @ 50 lb deadlift (did lousy because legs were shaky from the squats.

5 x 5 @ 15 lb dumbbells bicep curls
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-6X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-44X7X 30

Fitness Test
    Push-ups-4X 15
    Sit ups-4X 15
    Jumping jacks-4X 15
  • lkpducky
    Options
    I can't believe how sore my legs are even after yesterday's deload. Must be having a bad week. Or maybe I needed the higher reps, I don't know.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Squats: 5x5 @ 120. Highest weight yet, and super dream ultimate weight goal. I loved how I looked last time I was at 125 but I could definitely still take off another 5 lb and look great at that point so that's my reach for the stars kinda goal.
    OHP: 1x5 $ 45, 5x5@ 50. I think I'll be stuck at 50 for the rest of my life, lol.
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 120.
  • canadianlbs
    edited January 2017
    Options
    OHP: 1x5 $ 45, 5x5@ 50. I think I'll be stuck at 50 for the rest of my life, lol.

i found it super-helpful to deload WAY back - like, 50 or 60% of my 'training' weight - and do those high-rep sets with press. <--- accessory stuff, i mean. not the 'real' workout.

it's always been one of my just-makes-natural-sense lifts, so maybe i over-credit those sets. but still, i did find that getting to do 10 of them in a row really fine-tunes my awareness of bar path and trajectory, and when you keep the weight really low that lets you actually 'feel' the form too.

sez me, who didn't lift today and probably won't tomorrow. most of my shoulder stuff has calmed down, but i think i have sprained some little delicate thing like a rhomboid or one of those scalene muscles. it keeps hurting the hell out of me at completely random moments. i rode in and rode home and i do think that it's mending itself now i'm not trying to 'stretch' it all the time. but those little terrorist zots it keeps giving me . . . theyr'e demoralizing.