Janu-ready for a new You (January workout thread)

Options

Replies

• jowaring
    jowaring Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Squats: 5x5 @ 120. Highest weight yet, and super dream ultimate weight goal. I loved how I looked last time I was at 125 but I could definitely still take off another 5 lb and look great at that point so that's my reach for the stars kinda goal.
    OHP: 1x5 $ 45, 5x5@ 50. I think I'll be stuck at 50 for the rest of my life, lol.
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 120.

I'm the same with ohp,cannot get past 47lbs.feels like I'm at my limit with this lift.
  • jowaring
    Options
    OHP: 1x5 $ 45, 5x5@ 50. I think I'll be stuck at 50 for the rest of my life, lol.

i found it super-helpful to deload WAY back - like, 50 or 60% of my 'training' weight - and do those high-rep sets with press. <--- accessory stuff, i mean. not the 'real' workout.

it's always been one of my just-makes-natural-sense lifts, so maybe i over-credit those sets. but still, i did find that getting to do 10 of them in a row really fine-tunes my awareness of bar path and trajectory, and when you keep the weight really low that lets you actually 'feel' the form too.

sez me, who didn't lift today and probably won't tomorrow. most of my shoulder stuff has calmed down, but i think i have sprained some little delicate thing like a rhomboid or one of those scalene muscles. it keeps hurting the hell out of me at completely random moments. i rode in and rode home and i do think that it's mending itself now i'm not trying to 'stretch' it all the time. but those little terrorist zots it keeps giving me . . . theyr'e demoralizing.

Would you do the accessory lifts at the end of the workout?I'm stuck on ohp. Been at 47lbs for ages.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Workout B
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75, 5X5X 85
    OHP- One X5X 45/50/60, 5X5X 55
    DL- One X5X 95/105/115/125/130

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X30
    Russian kettle bell swing-20 3X7X 30

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    Fitness Test
    Push-ups-4×15
    Set up-4×15
    Jumping jacks-4×15
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,988 Member
    Options
    I'm a real wimp, stuck on 30 lbs on OHP! what accessory lifts do you recommend?

Tried back squats with the Oly bar yesterday and my right shoulder was fine! Finally I can go back to back squats!
  • jowaring
    Options
    Todays workout
    Squats 1x5@45.1x5@60 .5x5@99lbs.
    Ohp1x5@37lbs 2x5@47 lbs then dropped to 42lbs.did 4x6 at this weight.
    Deadlift 1x5@42lbs.1x5 65lbs.1x5@90lbs.1x5@126lbs.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'm not overly upset at being slow to progress on OHP but it's worth thinking about more accessory work. Maybe something to practice at home on my off days?
  • lkpducky
    Options
    Back squats 1 x 5 @ 55 lb, 1 x 5 @ 65 lb, 3 x 5 @ 70 lb
    Still a bit easy for my legs, although I start worrying that I'll drop the bar if I go too low bar. I did feel pain in my upper right arm but it went away afterwards. It still feels like my arms are working too hard to hold the weight rather than the weight just resting on my hands.

Barbell bent over rows 5 x 5 @ 60 lb. A bit easy but I had tried the 70 lb bar and that was too much.

Dumbbell bench press 1 x 5 @ 32.5 lb, 1 x 4 @ 32.5 lb, 3 x 5 @ 30 lb, 1 x 5 @ 32.5 lb
    I'm still stalling out at 2 32.5 lb dumbbells.

Close grip lat pulldowns 5 x 5 @ 80 lb
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    jowaring wrote: »
    Would you do the accessory lifts at the end of the workout?I'm stuck on ohp. Been at 47lbs for ages.

wendler says to do it after the regular lift, yes. but he's talking about boring-but-big, and 'big' isn't a motivation of mine. what worked nicely for me was . . . my brain's fritzed. i can't think of a way to say it that won't make it nine times more complicated than it already is.

i'd do my heavy workout for that day. then, once that was done i'd take whatever lift i was going to do NEXT in the heavy lineup, and i'd do the light sets. so if i'm deadlifting next, i do 5x10 light deadlifts at least two days before that. it's different for me because i'm doing 5/3/1 so technically my basic lineup is just one lift per workout and that gives me more room. even more on top of that because of the way that i double up every friday for trainer day.

for stronglifts, i can't picture anyone sane doing the three heavy lifts and then trying to do 5x10 of those same lifts on the same day. if it helps any, i wouldn't do this for any of them more than once a week. originally i was just taking two per week and doing those, so each of them only got two 'sessions' that style in a month.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    Finally I can go back to back squats!

woot! for ohp, idk what the pros recommend, but i remember getting a huge boost for mine for a while, when i was doing the chin/pullup homework. having active lats seems to help all the ways. with your shoulder though, i'd be careful. doing negatives with a too-aggressive jump-up also set me back for a while by straining something.

i doubt i'll get to the gym today. just couldn't help checking in with a bit of me-time before going out to do some of the other basic-life stuff i still have to do. i probably walked a few miles between bus transfer spots, for what that's worth. trouble is, it just makes me want to cry and eat gummy bears :tongue:

• jowaring
    Options

wendler says to do it after the regular lift, yes. but he's talking about boring-but-big, and 'big' isn't a motivation of mine. what worked nicely for me was . . . my brain's fritzed. i can't think of a way to say it that won't make it nine times more complicated than it already is.

i'd do my heavy workout for that day. then, once that was done i'd take whatever lift i was going to do NEXT in the heavy lineup, and i'd do the light sets. so if i'm deadlifting next, i do 5x10 light deadlifts at least two days before that. it's different for me because i'm doing 5/3/1 so technically my basic lineup is just one lift per workout and that gives me more room. even more on top of that because of the way that i double up every friday for trainer day.

for stronglifts, i can't picture anyone sane doing the three heavy lifts and then trying to do 5x10 of those same lifts on the same day. if it helps any, i wouldn't do this for any of them more than once a week. originally i was just taking two per week and doing those, so each of them only got two 'sessions' that style in a month.

Thank you! I'm stuck around 60lb on bench so I'll try alternating the lighter lifts at the end of my main workouts.so I'll do bench if bench is the lift in the next workout and vice versa.
  • jowaring
    edited January 2017
    Options

Or I might be better doin it on non lift days a couple times a week?
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-6X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-46X7X 30

Fitness Test
    Push-ups-4×15
    Sit ups-4×15
    Jumping jacks-4×15

Keto 3 Week Challenge February 5th- 25th
    In preparation for this challenge I will be reducing the amount of processed foods and foods high in sugar. Yes that includes some high natural sugary fruits.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    Squats 5x5 @ 120. This is hard enough that I'll stay here for one more workout and probably try for 125 on Monday.
    Benchpress: 5x5 @ 70
    Wretched Rows: 2x10 @ 85, 1x15 @ 85. I used a heavier bar with a smaller diameter today and that actually felt a little better. I may stick with that bar for rows in the future.
  • jowaring
    Options
    Squats 5x5 @ 120. This is hard enough that I'll stay here for one more workout and probably try for 125 on Monday.
    Benchpress: 5x5 @ 70
    Wretched Rows: 2x10 @ 85, 1x15 @ 85. I used a heavier bar with a smaller diameter today and that actually felt a little better. I may stick with that bar for rows in the future.

Love the name wretched rows lol.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options

Love the name wretched rows lol.
    I really hate doing them, lol!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Thank you! I'm stuck around 60lb on bench so I'll try alternating the lighter lifts at the end of my main workouts.so I'll do bench if bench is the lift in the next workout and vice versa.

i'm looking forward to hearing about it. i loved bbb, but i'm still struggling to set up a consistent schedule that will allow me to find a new slot to do it.

on that note, i gymmed today after the ride home. only bench though. haven't cracked my wendler spreadsheet all month so idek what my weight 'ought' to be. but i faked 5's week by doing 55/60/65 and stopping it there since last week i had all that upper back/shoulder freetting. then i took the plates off the bar and did 3x10 sets, so there was that.

squats hopeless. my hips are a hot mess and haven't caught up to all the beater-bike strain recently. i just could not find anything that didn't pinch or firecracker me, so i didn't do them. it ain't like i don't take my squat shoes with me everywhere that i go, either :tongue: just not sorted or settled yet.

i miss my weight room routine so much, sigh. but this too shall pass, and once valentine's day is behind us the population in there should thin out a bit too. meanwhile i'm still sherpa'ing food, and that part is great. a) if i take it, i eat it, so i seem to eat all day long. and b) i'm eating a lot more plant life because my whole grocery store perspective has shifted to 'don't bother me with what i might feel like eating. just gimme lots of the kind of stuff i can transport without having to do even more chores.' lots of apples and carrots and cheerios, just to fill in the gaps.

• fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squats- 1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    BP-1X5X 45/55/65, 5X5X 75
    BR- -5X5X 85
    This is the first time that I have been up to 90 pounds on my squat since I deloaded due to not being able to go parallel last year. I went parallel just fine this time!

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-23X7X 30

Fitness Test
    Push-ups-4×15
    Sit ups-4×15
    Jumping jacks-4×15
    Weight and measurements will be taken on Saturday!

Keto 3 Week Challenge February 5th - 25th
    Set your macros to;
    Fat 75%
    Protein 20%
    Carbs 5%
    Continue to slowly reduce the amount of processed food and sugar. Check your nutrition chart to see how close you are to the Keto macros.
  • lkpducky
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Stronglifts workout B

OHP - after two warmup sets of 10 @ 20 lb, 5 x 5 @ 30 lb.
    Back squats: 1 x 8 @ 65 lb, 1 x 6 @ 75 lb, 3 x 5 @ 80 lb was freaking out worrying about whether the bar would catch properly on both sides. I need to get used to this. Also worry about whether the bar will fall if I stand upright.
    Deadlifts: 1 x 5 @ 70 lb

Walked 3.5 miles after that. But on the last mile, that upper quad muscle started hurting again! will that ever go away?? I'm considering whether this could be a hip flexor issue. I know some expert sports massage therapists - they work with my old marathon club, the Kona Ironman athletes, college sports teams, cycling and tri clubs, etc etc so they know their business. I'll check in with one of them. Would do me good in any case.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I've been slacking in the gym but making the effort to change things to get back to somewhat of a routine.

Lower Body

squat high bar 1x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 2x8 @ 135
    low bar 1x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 2x8 @ 135
    good morning 3x10 @ 95
    pause squat 3x4 @ 95
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    i realised halfway through today that i'm still not taking things seriously. what i should have done yesterday was my 3's week for press and deadlift, since i won't do them on friday at mr t's place. i've been so mesmerized by the knowledge that those squats were coming at me, i clean forgot.

anyway, stopped in the gym on the way home and put that right. and it was good. :D

press 50/55/60. started out wanting to duck the whole 'heavy' issue by just doing 10x5. i swear those high-volume routines have become my cop-out from going heavy. but someone else asked for the rack after 4x5 with the bar, so instead of making him wait through another 6 sets i got serious and did my 3's-week work sets like a big girl.

deadlift i just did it kosher. idek what my weights 'should' be this week, but last week in 5's i topped out at 145, so 135/145/155 seemed close enough. i did the work reps slowly and carefully, more like singles, because i do feel like i've re-forgotten my groove. but with that said, i kept doing the 155 reps until i had 10 again :tongue:

i think my ego is getting involved in all this. so on saturday, i'm planning to settle back down. i'll do my 10's sets at press and deadlift, and then we'll just see where things go.