Brrrrrrr

Options
Philtex
Philtex Posts: 954 Member
It is 20 degrees here in Dallas and I know others have it even colder. Let's get some quick weather reports. Also, does cold weather impact your weight management? Do you eat more or different foods? Do you exercise more or less? Did you need to buy new winter clothes because of all the weight you lost last year?

Replies

• spospo1
    spospo1 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    26 degrees and about 3 inches of snow last night in Jersey. Things stay pretty much the same except jogging. It's tough to run on snow/ice covered roads and I don't like the treadmill. I try to compensate by getting out & walking, enjoying the snow....
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    1 degree here in the NW Chicago suburbs. Nothing changes for me when it gets really cold.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    -5 (not including wind chill) in Minnesota. Sadly I'm used to battling this crap so it seems par for the course. Indoor fitness activities are my friend.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,982 Member
    Options
    38 on the way down to about 10 on sunday night with a forecast that calls for 8" of snow in williamsburg va. what changes for me is the urge to veg out with a book or the boob tube which both reduces my activity as well as leading to the old bored eating habits
  • GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Currently 17 degrees, but no snow.
    I've been pretty consistent on getting out for my walks even with the cold.
  • savignr
    savignr Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Going down to the 20's tonight in Houston. 30's today. Last week we had to turn the air conditioning on. Go figure! Indoor activity only for me the next couple days.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,580 Member
    Options
    California weather wimp here. It was 31 when I headed out the door to get my wife her BDay Chai Tea Latte from SBux before she left for work. Warming up to 51 today, which means I am suffering greatly. Send help.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,290 Member
    Options
    It's 53 here in San Diego. Luckily, we also will avoid what is being billed as the storm of the decade, which is supposed to hit Northern and Central California this weekend.

Of course, at my home in Oregon, the story is different.
  • mcbluesky
    mcbluesky Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Low 40's in Charlotte, NC. Expecting 4 - 8 inches of snow starting this evening. Looks like treadmill, bike trainer, and football playoffs, (without the Panthers), this weekend.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Another Chicagoan here (western suburbs). We were sitting at 0 when I got up this morning. My fitness center is always my go to on work days during the winter and I make it a point to get outside on weekends. I just will add more layers tomorrow when I run with friends. Sunday is a 10K trail race up in Wisconsin. More layers plus my microspikes as the trails are icy.
  • DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,942 Member
    Options
    It got down to 19, here in Tumwater, this morning. The weather doesn't really affect me much. I grew up in the rainy Northwest and was stationed all over the world in the Army. I have gone for a run at minus 50 and done physical training in an Asian monsoon. I can cope with just about any weather that comes my way. I wish I could blame the weather for my shortcomings, but I can't.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    49 degrees and overcast at Atlantic Beach, NC. A little wintry precipitation in the forecast but nothing major.

I'm SO happy that I'm no longer in Raleigh :) Forecast there is for up to 10" of snow tonight and tomorrow and VERY cold (for NC) temps through Tuesday. Low on Monday morning could be as low as 0. Is "0" even a temperature?!!
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    -10 on my way to work this AM in suburban-west Minneapolis.

I haven't run outside in sub-zero temps for several years. I think I've had enough of that to last a lifetime. I run on the treadmill, or on an indoor track, or otherwise adjust my activities.
  • wwchrisdad
    wwchrisdad Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    30 here this AM on Long Island, walking the dogs in a dusting of snow.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    In Hampton Roads area near Norfolk VA, 35 heading for low 20s here. Forecast is for a "blizzard" which will really mess up traffic here. The natives don't know how to drive in snow. I grew up and lived most of my life in snow belt states. I'm actually looking forward to some snow!

Made some turkey chili today. If the gym/pool is open I'll go to water aerobics tomorrow. Then take my dog Sadie to the dog park to play in the snow.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    In Michigan, 7 and windy when I firstwent out this morning. The cold kept me inside once I got home at 2. No desire to go back out to the gym. This weather makes me want to sit under a blanket with the dog. He's like a hot water bottle, and likes to be under the blanket too. No objections here LOL
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Stay safe Jim! But I do have to say that I've been involved in three accidents in snow. All caused by someone who "knew how to drive in it". I was not at fault in ANY of them.

But I'm smart enough (now) to know not to get on the road with all the people who know how to drive in it.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I think it got up to 16 today and tonight's low is ~8; not all that cold by WNY standards. What's driving me a little nuts this winter is that we're getting bouts of snow, a foot or more at a time, then it warms up and rains. What snow doesn't melt turns to ice when it refreezes a day or two later.

After living in one snow country or another most of my life, I am tiring of it somewhat. At our two most recent houses, clearing driveways and rooves repeatedly can take some of the 'fun' out of winter. That can cause me some stress and contribute to mindless eating if I'm not on top of it.

On the bright side though, I'm a big snowshoeing fan. I love that I can literally walk out my door, head to the woods and explore almost 70 acres between me and the neighbors. There's also a lot of other places (State- and Federally-administered lands) around here for that activity. Works for me!

I have bought some new (to me) winter clothes. I'm amazed at the high-quality stuff to be found at our local thrift stores! I've bought nearly new Columbia & LL Bean winter gear for $10 (or less)! I did keep a few things from my fatter days that I've adapted just 'cuz I just hated to part with them.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,100 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Yeah down to 16° in PDX this a.m. Maybe below frezxing all day tomorrow with snow,sleet, freezing rain on the way. that about covers all scenarios huh????

I'll bet dollars to donuts our WW meeting on Sunday will be cancelled. That would make 3 weeks in a row with no meeting because of Christmas, New Years and now icesnowmageddon.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,102 Member
    Options
    Right now, hlhpfu9m4rrh.png
    Hassvearklpr22e.png
    a real dusting this AM.