Husband experienced the wrath of carbs!

Options
cimarrona27
cimarrona27 Posts: 97 Member
He has been listening to me preach keto for a long time and just watched the documentary Fed Up a week ago. Lowered his carbs to >10%. Then his company ordered subway, and he ate a sandwich.

About an hour later I was informed about all of the horrible time he was spending in the bathroom. Yeah... you ate like 60g of carbs in just the bread, not including everything else on the sandwich too. Your body is trying to get rid of the sugar as fast as it can.

All joking aside, I'm really proud of him. He is loosing weight and doing it without being hungry, which was always his downfall on prior attempts.

Replies

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    We all do it at least once. He has my sympathy.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,367 Member
    Options
    I noticed this effect myself when I had a couple of sugar binges around Christmas - didn't happen that quickly but it definitely did happen... lesson learned!
  • cimarrona27
    Options
    PollanDP wrote: »
    I had an unfortunate incident the day after Christmas with some cheap Chinese food and Popcorn at the movies. I did not make it home in time. It was bad - very bad! well - I should say I made it home but the door was locked. So I didn't make it into the house. NEVER AGAIN!

Man, that's awful. I've had some close calls of my own, but that's all fortunately.

It really wreaks havoc with my system so I try to be good. If I slip, I pay. The cramping is almost worse than the diarrhea in my opinion. :/
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I am sad to say that I don't have this factor to discourage me... Carbs tend to like my digestion more so than most fats...my body just doesn't like the glucose/etc. reactions.
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    PollanDP wrote: »
    I had an unfortunate incident the day after Christmas with some cheap Chinese food and Popcorn at the movies. I did not make it home in time. It was bad - very bad! well - I should say I made it home but the door was locked. So I didn't make it into the house. NEVER AGAIN!

:s my condolences!
  • mellyo77
    mellyo77 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I am only 9 days into keto, and a couple of nights ago we ordered out - and I ordered a chicken stuffed with ricotta and spinach and veg with butter. When the food came the chicken had breading - I didn't even think of that being a possibility when I ordered it. I scraped as much as i could off but there was still some remaining. I was so sick after - I am not sure if it was the food or the tiny bit of breading. I question whether that small amount could have affected me but something sure did.
  • Julene64
    Julene64 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I had no idea that a day of too many carbs could do any of these things! I just figured it would knock me out of keto or something. I've yet to have a day like the ones you all have mentioned and now I'm more motivated than ever not to slip up, especially if I'm away from home! Yikes!!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Just to add balance, I've had a couple extremely high carb binges over the last 9 months and never had "a digestive reaction" so it does not happen to everyone. Good to be aware that it could though.
  • HairTie1
    HairTie1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Agree with last post. Everyone is different and it likely depends on a host of variables including but not limited to: age and the degree to which one is carb conditioned/insulin resistant, gut microbiota, degree of keto adaptation, degree of current ketosis (0.3 vs. 3.0 probably makes a big difference), the types of carbs consumed and how quickly, other health factors, what you eat before and after, etc.

I binged like a drunken sailor over the holidays on two specific days and I felt like crap and regretted it profoundly (and still do) but never had to run to the bathroom. I'm relatively new to keto though so probably more resilient than a "lifer."
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,367 Member
    Options
    Just to add to my last post - for me it is specific to sugar... I can eat wheat/rice/quinoa/veggies w/o having digestive issues, but a sugar binge will have me regretting it the next day for sure.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Great news for your hubby! Congrats!
  • cimarrona27
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    Great news for your hubby! Congrats!

Thanks! He's really embracing this WOE which makes it much easier on me when we are meal planning.

We have started switching on and off weeks as far as who's job it is to meal plan, prepare, and clean up. It's been amazing.

We're going on a Disney cruise next month and we have reservations for brunch at Palo. Last night Chuck says to me "Did you see their menu?! It's almost all carbs!" Lol. Love him.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Just to add balance, I've had a couple extremely high carb binges over the last 9 months and never had "a digestive reaction" so it does not happen to everyone. Good to be aware that it could though.

Same here. After about six months of Keto my IBS was fully resolved and has been totally gone for two years. I expect in my case my IBS was related to a leaking gut.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Over imbibing on alcohol has become my digestive kryptonite. I may feel uncomfortable if I eat too many carbs/sugar, but if I have too many drinks (like over 4!), the washroom needs to be close by the next day. Originally I was chalking it up to a travel bug since all occurrences were on vacation, but then I realized it was just a coincide since having that many drinks is out of the norm on a typical day until ... it happened. Thankfully (?) being low carb makes it quite difficult to have more than 4 and be coherent......
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    @RalfLott you got that right! No tolerance left at all!!
  • cimarrona27
    Options
    Over imbibing on alcohol has become my digestive kryptonite. I may feel uncomfortable if I eat too many carbs/sugar, but if I have too many drinks (like over 4!), the washroom needs to be close by the next day. Originally I was chalking it up to a travel bug since all occurrences were on vacation, but then I realized it was just a coincide since having that many drinks is out of the norm on a typical day until ... it happened. Thankfully (?) being low carb makes it quite difficult to have more than 4 and be coherent......

Really!?

I had no idea. It explains New Year's Eve :o