A question about potassium supplementation...

Options
Looking back over the past few weeks of logging my diary I noticed that my potassium levels were very low. I haven't 'felt' and effect of this really, but in doing my research discovered it's importance in regulating water levels in the body, as well as how important it is for the heart and blood pressure. I've decided to supplement it by using Lo-Salt, a potassium chloride salt alternative, but I'm struggling to find relevant information as to how much I need to be using daily. Does anyone else supplement using this method? Could you offer me some guidelines as to the amount I need to be using and the most effective means of getting it into my body? I'm currently at close to zero carbs so I'm getting very little from my diet so all advice will be gratefully received!

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Potassium isn't required info on food labels so you are probably getting more than you realize. Even coffee and tea have it but it doesn't show any in the nutrition data.

Because getting too much potassium is actually dangerous unlike getting too much sodium or magnesium, it's best to just add a few dashes of the lite salt to foods or water. If you were to buy it in pill form the maximum dosage is 90mg. They don't sell it higher because it's potentially dangerous to supplement because we usually get more than we realize already.
    You really don't have to worry so much about potassium if you keep sodium levels up. Your body will be able to balance and retain potassium if low sodium is prevented.
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I have potassium supplements and I can tell you they give me a wicked stomach ache. As Sunny said, probably best to stick to a bit of Lo-salt if you think you are low (unless, of course, your doctor tells you otherwise)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Supplementing potassium made me dump magnesium like crazy, as I was sufficient in potassium, but deficient in magnesium. Boron and zinc, alongside Vitamin's D3/K2 (required to route calcium into bones/out of arteries) really make a difference in maintaining and absorbing all these properly, in addition to the electrolyte side. The body prioritizes electrolyte balance first, so it will literally strip mine nutrients out of your bones and muscles to make that happen...
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I tried supplement potassium as well and just had digestive issues.....Have felt much better in just supplementing magnesium and watching my sodium levels.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    The only time I add potassium these days is if I'm doing heavy work where I sweat buckets - or if I'm working outside, and then I do the Keto-Ade with 1/8 tsp lite salt (add 1/8 tsp pink himalayan salt if heavily sweating), 1/8 tsp magnesium carbonate (I think, powder form), 1 Simply lime packet (or mio or lemon/lime/stevia combo), in one bottle of water. Alternate between keto ade and water - at least 1:1 - or 1:2....only during heavy effort, extra sweat, or outdoor work. I also have to adjust my magnesium to a half dose to prevent digestive response.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Potassium isn't required info on food labels so you are probably getting more than you realize. Even coffee and tea have it but it doesn't show any in the nutrition data.

Because getting too much potassium is actually dangerous unlike getting too much sodium or magnesium, it's best to just add a few dashes of the lite salt to foods or water. If you were to buy it in pill form the maximum dosage is 90mg. They don't sell it higher because it's potentially dangerous to supplement because we usually get more than we realize already.
    You really don't have to worry so much about potassium if you keep sodium levels up. Your body will be able to balance and retain potassium if low sodium is prevented.

The dosing actually has nothing to do with it's safety as a whole. It was set that way because high doses, if taken without food, can damage the digestive tract. It's odd hoe some supps nearly require a lack of food in the system to function properly (zinc, iron), and others can screw you up royally if taken on an empty stomach.

However, most of the actual quotes that I have seen from nutrion scientists say pretty much tge same thing; the FDA's arbitrary restriction of P supps to >100mg per dose is excessively low, and based on little more than paranoia, and the general assumption that everyone is stupid as hell and can't follow instructions. So long as there's food in the stomach at the time of supplementation, the gastro danger is gone. This is why prescription potassium pills can run upward of <1g without causing said problems.

To add in my own experience: I tend to take in well over 7000mg of potassium per day; some days are as high as 11g with no ill effects. With me mostly consuming whole foods since I started bulking, it's made it a lot easier to find proper USDA listings that include potassium.

I never realized how much potassium is in chicken, beef, and salmon until I went looking. Given how meat heavy many ketoers eat, yeah, you guys are probably hitting close to my intake without even realizing it. Not to mention spinach's crazy high amount, and it being one of the most prominent greens in the LCHF arsenal.