February Q and A thread

Options
SideSteel
SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
Got any questions? Don't want to make your own thread?

Drop them in here.

I'll be doing a mix of text and video replies.

Replies

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    How's Sara? She competing this year?
  • docdrd
    docdrd Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Have you tried any of the Kinesio tapes? Is one brand better or are they all the same? My Dr. is recommending I wear some on my wrist until tendonitis heals. Thanks!!!!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »
    How's Sara? She competing this year?

She's busy AF with work. Not lifting at all but I'm trying to influence her back into it =)
  • SideSteel
    Options
    docdrd wrote: »
    Have you tried any of the Kinesio tapes? Is one brand better or are they all the same? My Dr. is recommending I wear some on my wrist until tendonitis heals. Thanks!!!!

I've never tried them at all.

Here's what SBM has to say:
    https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/olympic-pseudoscience/
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2017
    Options
    And recommendations on lifting shoes. I am noticing with my squat, that I am getting a lot of compression in my heals and I feel that if I wait too long, it will cause some instability.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    And recommendations on lifting shoes. I am noticing with my squat, that I am getting a lot of compression in my heals and I feel that if I wait too long, it will cause some instability.

I like SABO powerlifts, you can get them at MaxBarbell.com
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Good call, their deadlift shoe is also the best in the business and it's what I use for every lift.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Good call, their deadlift shoe is also the best in the business and it's what I use for every lift.

Which deadlift shoe? Apparently they have a few different models.

I'm using their cheaper one for deads and I love it--recently switched to them for bench too
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Would these shoes be ok to use for dl and squat? I was initially looking at these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LBMUNIE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Y-NKybNMSTC7G
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Would these shoes be ok to use for dl and squat? I was initially looking at these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LBMUNIE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Y-NKybNMSTC7G

Don't know the specs on the shoes but it looks like it has a heel on it which is great for squatting and horrible for dead lifting.

either get a flat shoe for both, or use separate shoes for squats and deads.

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I'm using their cheaper one for deads and I love it--recently switched to them for bench too

Huh I didn't know that. Whatever one Maxbarbell has, I think it's just different colors of the same version. I just buy whatever's the cheapest color, this time it was blue. :D
  • SideSteel
    Options

Huh I didn't know that. Whatever one Maxbarbell has, I think it's just different colors of the same version. I just buy whatever's the cheapest color, this time it was blue. :D

Likely the same ones I have then.

Pretty sure Kyle @LolBroScience has a different model of SABO deadlift shoes but I could be wrong.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,081 Member
    Options
    I've been amazed at the difference going from sneakers to Chuck Taylor's has been for my squats. Sounds like you guys are saying these are better. Would it be worth the expense to change now, or are my CT's good enough?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I just switched from Stronglifts to 5/3/1 and I'm just about to start my second cycle. The book says to add five pounds to your upper body maxes and ten pounds to your lower body maxes, and then recalculate.

I did that and now I'm a bit intimidated by the numbers.

Mind you, they're not super big for an experienced lifter, but they're pretty big for me.

For example, my training max for deadlifts is 205lbs. I've pulled it before but never more than one or two reps.

My question is...should I have gotten a belt a while ago? I know that in week 3, it's 5/3/1 and it's 1+ at 95%. I'm a bit scared, to tell you the truth. I don't want to hurt myself.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I just switched from Stronglifts to 5/3/1 and I'm just about to start my second cycle. The book says to add five pounds to your upper body maxes and ten pounds to your lower body maxes, and then recalculate.

Mind you, they're not super big for an experienced lifter, but they're pretty big for me.

For example, my training max for deadlifts is 205lbs. I've pulled it before but never more than one or two reps.

My question is...should I have gotten a belt a while ago? I know that in week 3, it's 5/3/1 and it's 1+ at 95%. I'm a bit scared, to tell you the truth. I don't want to hurt myself.

A belt is a great tool to use if you have the disposable income to purchase one, and you have a goal of getting stronger, and you aren't using it in place of proper technique =)

Having said that, hopefully when you started 5/3/1 you took 90% of your actual 1RMs when you started the program. Most people don't do this step, but it's pretty important.

For what it's worth, even with my competitive powerlifting clients, when I use % based programs I always make a slight reduction to their actual 1RM's when I run the calculations.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    I've been amazed at the difference going from sneakers to Chuck Taylor's has been for my squats. Sounds like you guys are saying these are better. Would it be worth the expense to change now, or are my CT's good enough?

I like SABO deadlift shoes more than chucks. However, I couldn't tell you that they are somehow superior. I just like the feel of them and they also seem to grip the floor a tad better.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options

A belt is a great tool to use if you have the disposable income to purchase one, and you have a goal of getting stronger, and you aren't using it in place of proper technique =)

Having said that, hopefully when you started 5/3/1 you took 90% of your actual 1RMs when you started the program. Most people don't do this step, but it's pretty important.

For what it's worth, even with my competitive powerlifting clients, when I use % based programs I always make a slight reduction to their actual 1RM's when I run the calculations.

Oh yes, I definitely used 90% of my actual 1RM to make my calculations.

I'm looking at the Inzer 10mm lever belt. I have a friend who uses it so I'm waiting for his review. Nice to know someone personally who uses it.

My goal is to get stronger, for sure. That's my #1 goal.
  • SideSteel
    Options

Oh yes, I definitely used 90% of my actual 1RM to make my calculations.

I'm looking at the Inzer 10mm lever belt. I have a friend who uses it so I'm waiting for his review. Nice to know someone personally who uses it.

My goal is to get stronger, for sure. That's my #1 goal.

If you can afford the belt I would purchase one and Inzer makes great belts
  • psuLemon
    Options
    How do i get my bro stats up so i can start giving solid advice? And do you recommend vitamin S?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    How do i get my bro stats up so i can start giving solid advice? And do you recommend vitamin S?

Aware and lol