February Q and A thread

Options

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I just switched from Stronglifts to 5/3/1 and I'm just about to start my second cycle. The book says to add five pounds to your upper body maxes and ten pounds to your lower body maxes, and then recalculate.

I did that and now I'm a bit intimidated by the numbers.

Mind you, they're not super big for an experienced lifter, but they're pretty big for me.

For example, my training max for deadlifts is 205lbs. I've pulled it before but never more than one or two reps.

My question is...should I have gotten a belt a while ago? I know that in week 3, it's 5/3/1 and it's 1+ at 95%. I'm a bit scared, to tell you the truth. I don't want to hurt myself.

A belt is a great tool to use if you have the disposable income to purchase one, and you have a goal of getting stronger, and you aren't using it in place of proper technique =)

Having said that, hopefully when you started 5/3/1 you took 90% of your actual 1RMs when you started the program. Most people don't do this step, but it's pretty important.

For what it's worth, even with my competitive powerlifting clients, when I use % based programs I always make a slight reduction to their actual 1RM's when I run the calculations.

Oh yes, I definitely used 90% of my actual 1RM to make my calculations.

I'm looking at the Inzer 10mm lever belt. I have a friend who uses it so I'm waiting for his review. Nice to know someone personally who uses it.

My goal is to get stronger, for sure. That's my #1 goal.

If you read 5/3/1 thoroughly, Wendler advocates for the slowest increases possible. If you can get your hands on some 1.25 cookies, going up 5 lbs. on lower and 2.5 upper is perfectly acceptable as well.

@Gallowmere1984 - I re-calculated my weights with only adding 5 lbs on lower and 2.5 on upper. I am going to start fresh.

Awesome. Just make sure you kill those last sets on main lift, since those are your money sets, and will make a slower progression setup truly shine.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I hope this hasn't been asked at some point. What would you guys suggest I should do to stretch/cool down after weight lifting. I do DL's, RDL's, bench, OHP, Pushpress, bentover row. I'm really bad at finishing my last set and leaving. Any tips are appreciated :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    KDar1988 wrote: »
    I hope this hasn't been asked at some point. What would you guys suggest I should do to stretch/cool down after weight lifting. I do DL's, RDL's, bench, OHP, Pushpress, bentover row. I'm really bad at finishing my last set and leaving. Any tips are appreciated :)

I'd start with asking you what the goal would be by adding in additional cool down activities vs just leaving.

What would you hope to accomplish with the cool down activity?
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,832 Member
    Options
    ROFLMAO DopeItUp.

For those who don't know, he has his own gym in his home, he's not just leaving weights on the floor at a public gym, lol.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

I just leave. I don't even bother re-racking my weights or anything, I just grab my drink and walk out after my last set. I'm not really sure what doing cool-down work would accomplish but I like to keep an open mind?

4590d8074a2ce1f79c5e72754bce144f.jpg
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have a herniated S1 and some spinal stenosis. I haven't lifted heavy in awhile but was doing a but of kettlebell training. The KB swings agitated my S1, I've struggled with what to do next for a workout. I'm not supposed to KB swing, run, deadlift, or weighted squat. Pretty much all the shiz I'm used to lower body. I've been thinking about trying to do pistol squats. I went through a program to do 1 arm pushups and kind of enjoyed it. Any thoughts on a workout?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    I have a herniated S1 and some spinal stenosis. I haven't lifted heavy in awhile but was doing a but of kettlebell training. The KB swings agitated my S1, I've struggled with what to do next for a workout. I'm not supposed to KB swing, run, deadlift, or weighted squat. Pretty much all the shiz I'm used to lower body. I've been thinking about trying to do pistol squats. I went through a program to do 1 arm pushups and kind of enjoyed it. Any thoughts on a workout?

I'm not a physical therapist and so I wouldn't be comfortable giving specific advise here. Take the following as OPINION only.

1) Avoid any movements that cause direct pain to the area.
    2) Consider lower body movements that don't involve that section of your body. I would assume leg extensions and leg curls would likely be fine. Banded femoral abductions to train the glute medius, calf raises, etc.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    How would I decide if I was quad dominant and go about correcting this? In particular I'm talking about squatting with quad dominance (or possibly lack of glute activation, or maybe quads are my weakest link. I have no clue but something is going on)
  • KDar1988
    Options

I'd start with asking you what the goal would be by adding in additional cool down activities vs just leaving.

Pounded into my head from years of exercise that you have to cool down and stretch the muscles you worked. I had a massage therapist tell me the same. Old science?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Pounded into my head from years of exercise that you have to cool down and stretch the muscles you worked. I had a massage therapist tell me the same. Old science?

Application for that is usually endurance cardio, or intense cardio.

Even the warmup on that has transformed, from straight stretching, to warmup muscles doing similar activity and you may not even need to stretch prior.
  • SideSteel
    Options

I'm not convinced that a cool-down is necessary however I haven't revisited literature on it. The NASM organization still recommends it, I currently don't use it myself or program it for clients.

I just put my weights away (unlike @DopeItUp lol) and then I leave.
  • KDar1988
    Options
    Thank you! I appreciate it.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Do you personally like high bar or low bar squats?

BTW, I decided to run two different shoes (squat shoe and a deadlift shoe). A few articles made a lot of sense, along the discussion here. I went with the Adidas Powerlift 3 for squat shoes (I didn't go the others because they didn't have returns) and I looking into a deadlift shoe.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

BTW, I decided to run two different shoes (squat shoe and a deadlift shoe). A few articles made a lot of sense, along the discussion here. I went with the Adidas Powerlift 3 for squat shoes (I didn't go the others because they didn't have returns) and I looking into a deadlift shoe.

I squat low bar, it feels way better for me.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Listening to Alan Thrall, I may have to give it a try. I have been on high bar (still making some good progress (did 250x6x3) last week. But he was suggesting that low bar allows for increase lifting capacity, which I feel I am going to need to get over that 300 mark.
  • SideSteel
    edited February 2017
    Options

Listening to Alan Thrall, I may have to give it a try. I have been on high bar (still making some good progress (did 250x6x3) last week. But he was suggesting that low bar allows for increase lifting capacity, which I feel I am going to need to get over that 300 mark.

I think for many people it does but I don't think that's universally true. I would have to imagine there are people who are stronger high bar squatters vs low bar however I would think low bar is stronger for most people.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

I think for many people it does but I don't think that's universally true. I would have to imagine there are people who are stronger high bar squatters vs low bar however I would think low bar is stronger for most people.

While I agree that there are people who are stronger high bar vs low bar I assume this is just due to personal preference, training and desired focus or application. Otherwise, why are there no high-bar powerlifting squat records? I believe low-bar's recruitment of more muscles will always make it the more powerful of the two, assuming similarly optimal technique and training and yadda yadda yadda.
  • SideSteel
    Options

While I agree that there are people who are stronger high bar vs low bar I assume this is just due to personal preference, training and desired focus or application. Otherwise, why are there no high-bar powerlifting squat records? I believe low-bar's recruitment of more muscles will always make it the more powerful of the two, assuming similarly optimal technique and training and yadda yadda yadda.

Yeah that's a good point.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Yeah that's a good point.

That is what Alan Thrall stated as well. Well next week is deload and on to phase II, so I will look to transition at the point if i feel comfortable with the technique.

Thanks for the inputs.