Russell stovers sugar free

Options

Replies

• SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Has anyone mentioned that we need to count half the sugar alcohols in these bad boys? I think either @RalfLott or @Gallowmere1984 opened my eyes to this. Would one of you two care to share your expertise in this matter, please? The upshot? They're more carbs than you may think. Sorry....
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_alcohol

Look under the sugar alcohols as food additives header for the FE per gram of each type of SA. Essentially, the only "free" SAs are Arabitol and Erythritol. The former is rately used (I've never seen it in anything) and the latter is less common than it should be.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Wasn't moi. I would want to figure out my individual response to different sugar alcohols before lumping them all together....

I avoid most of them, anyhow - unless I have a desperate need to cut weight quickly. :s

Erythritol, however, causes neither glucose spikes nor volcanic eruptions. Looks like a long-term relationship. <3

• SuperCarLori
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thank you both. :) I've decided to conduct an experiment this go around and not eat any of these, see if it impacts my loss at all. Because I think it may have impeded it....
  • sbtripp
    sbtripp Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned that Erythritol is a "free" sugar. How about Stevia in the Raw?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Stevia in the raw is about 90% dextrose so I would avoid it and go for the liquid stevia instead.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Just an aside, sorry to kinda hijack... I heard on the radio the other night that accidental poisoning of dogs is way up due to Xylitol. It is 1000x more dangerous for dogs than chocolate. They cannot process it and it "causes a severe insulin release in non-primate species." pethealthnetwork.com/dog-health/dog-toxins-poisons/xylitol-poisoning-dogs-a-deadly-sugar-substitue Causes liver failure and bleeding disorders. Makes me wonder about the other sugar alcohols.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Just an aside, sorry to kinda hijack... I heard on the radio the other night that accidental poisoning of dogs is way up due to Xylitol. It is 1000x more dangerous for dogs than chocolate. They cannot process it and it "causes a severe insulin release in non-primate species." pethealthnetwork.com/dog-health/dog-toxins-poisons/xylitol-poisoning-dogs-a-deadly-sugar-substitue Causes liver failure and bleeding disorders. Makes me wonder about the other sugar alcohols.

Wow!
    (Thankfully we have no pets. One of these days I'll get around to using, or at least trying, the 5lb bag of Xylitol I bought last year ...)
    Xylitol is supposed to be pretty healthy for humans though, isn't it? Hm.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »

Wow!
    (Thankfully we have no pets. One of these days I'll get around to using, or at least trying, the 5lb bag of Xylitol I bought last year ...)

Xylitol isn't going to hurt you, and is no more or less "healthy" than a calorically equivalent dose of dextrose. The health benefit usually touted is that it's good for teeth. This is the case because it essentially feeds oral bacteria something that they will consume, but cannot metabolize.
  • RalfLott
    edited February 2017
    Options

Wow!

Xylitol isn't going to hurt you, and is no more or less "healthy" than a calorically equivalent dose of dextrose. The health benefit usually touted is that it's good for teeth. This is the case because it essentially feeds oral bacteria something that they will consume, but cannot metabolize.

Beware, however, that If you exceed your Xylitolerance by one molecule, you may resemble Old Faithful or Niagara Falls, depending on your orientation when it hits.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Wow!

Beware, however, that If you exceed your Xylitolerance by one molecule, you may resemble Old Faithful or Niagara Falls, depending on your orientation when it hits.

I'm pretty fortunate in this area. During my massive protein bar benders, I've been known to consume over 200g of assorted SAs in a day, to no ill effect.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    sbtripp wrote: »
    Someone mentioned that Erythritol is a "free" sugar. How about Stevia in the Raw?

Liquid stevia/erythritol blend (little green bottle) does not list dextrose, maltodextrin, etc., among its ingredients.
  • SuperCarLori
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Sugar alcohols, ANY AND ALL sugar alcohols JACK ME UP GOOD. Not just squirts, but yowling, squealing, swollen gut, incessant wind ejecting relentlessly out of my *kitten*. And don't trust that smelly wind. It very well could be a surprise *kitten* storm.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Anything listing natural flavors on the side tends to torture me immensely. Exception so far is the generic Walmart version of liquid stevia.... I think some of the Sweet Leaf liquids list it, but I haven't reacted to those either.
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    And Bob went and bought me some today..... Sigh. Now I HAVE to eat them.
    :D
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I've also read that you should count half the grams of sugar alcohol as sugar. A lot of people don't metabolise it well. It blows me right out of ketosis if I eat things like this.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    And Bob went and bought me some today..... Sigh. Now I HAVE to eat them.
    :D

No you don't. Remember this:
    Sugar alcohols, ANY AND ALL sugar alcohols JACK ME UP GOOD. Not just squirts, but yowling, squealing, swollen gut, incessant wind ejecting relentlessly out of my *kitten*. And don't trust that smelly wind. It very well could be a surprise *kitten* storm.

:s
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I've also read that you should count half the grams of sugar alcohol as sugar. A lot of people don't metabolise it well. It blows me right out of ketosis if I eat things like this.

I've seen this before and I always like to pretend I haven't seen it. ;)
    How do I know if I'm one of those people?
  • RalfLott
    Options

I've seen this before and I always like to pretend I haven't seen it. ;)
    How do I know if I'm one of those people?

Have some coffee spiked with, say, Sorbitol and go out on the town in white pants.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I saw a couple people post about chocolate coconut fat bombs, like some of them said, I wouldn't be able to refrain from eating the whole batch either, so I avoid making large batches of anything.

But if you're looking for a sweet chocolate-coconut treat in a single serving portion, I thought I'd share a couple treats I've made. I find coconut sufficiently sweet enough that no additional real or fake sweetener is needed, so I love eating it as a treat every now and then. In the past, I've made coconut mochas with a couple tbsps of coconut cream (not coconut milk), a tbsp of double cream, a tsp or two of unsweetened cocoa powder (Green & Black's is delish) and a couple shots of espresso... who needs Starbucks!

And a few years back when I was around 100g carbs a day, I used to make chia pudding with 1/3 cup coconut cream, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, mixed together and refrigerated overnight. It's like tapioca in the morning.