How Sugar Free Spells Danger - Dr Perlmutter

Options
2»

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    I am also really curious if any of the diet sweeteners (e.g. stevia or maybe xylitol?) have fewer or no negative effects than others.

You could try a couple ounces of each.... Please report back.

Actually, stevia by itself is extremely sweet - it might be hard to get enough to react, unless you're allergic (see above).
    Xylitol is much less concentrated and can bust open the floodgates without a drop of rain.

The powdererd stevia extract (no fillers!) I get from Amazon can sweeten 16oz of coffee with 2 micropinches...
    https://www.amazon.com/Pure-Stevia-Powder-Extract-Sweetener/dp/B01924GTC2/
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    nomorepuke wrote: »
    I'm curious. What's the difference between plastic fork and artificial sweetener? They're both artificial. I just wanna find out the difference.

Actually neither are artificial.
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm curious. What's the difference between plastic fork and artificial sweetener? They're both artificial. I just wanna find out the difference.

Cool. I should start to melt and eat plastic forks. Let's see what happens
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    Interesting that this topic came up today. Been fighting headaches for almost a week. Kept thinking I probably just needed to up my sodium but wasn't getting any relief even after doing that so started doing some online research and was finding that some artificial sweeteners can cause headaches in some people. Been using Stevia in my morning coffee and even though Stevia is considered more natural than some sweeteners I was thinking it couldn't hurt to eliminate for a bit and see what happens. Then stumbled across several articles mentioning that Stevia is indeed a member of the ragweed family. I'm definitely allergic to ragweed so thinking I've found the culprit. Time will tell I guess. But thought I'd mention for any other ragweed sufferers out there.

@swezeytba - I swear, I tried something from Walden's Farms and it was like instant head-split open by an axe level of a migraine. Took hours to ease up, and I literally only swiped my finger across the top seal I'd taken off to see if I wanted to try it. That stuff went back to the store with a quickness!!! They took it back as they'd had no idea that anyone without food allergies could react that way.

I don't remember ragweed being positive on my allergy tests, but I don't get headaches from Stevia. Now, the WM generic brand of it in the green squeeze bottle which has natural flavors on the label, that stuff was second only to the WF stuff... UGH.

Monkfruit is supposed to be another one that's primarily safe - but it has a very old taste to me. Lacuma Powder is supposed to be a lighter sweetener that isn't artificial...as is Yacon Syrup. Both are a little pricey but don't trigger most of the other related issues...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

Plastic forks are made from petroleum byproducts, hence why they aren't artificial. Doesn't mean I'd recommend eating them. That's pretty much up there with most soy products on my "don't eat this" list. Soy and my body do not like each other. I imagine that's about what it would do if I ate petroleum (royal?) jelly. Blech. No thanks.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I think there is a huge issue with the definition of artificial. I don't consider Stevia artificial because it derived from a plant. Yes it is processed in order to be extracted (though I'm not sure what the full extent of that processing is, if it's anything like Canola oil then I would avoid it like the plague). Yet I have come across people that avoid Stevia because they consider it artificial and has no business being consumed. I asked them if they also avoid vanilla extract because that has to be processed as well. On the other hand, I consider sucralose and aspartame artificial because they are chemically engineered.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Plastic forks are made from petroleum byproducts, hence why they aren't artificial. Doesn't mean I'd recommend eating them. That's pretty much up there with most soy products on my "don't eat this" list. Soy and my body do not like each other. I imagine that's about what it would do if I ate petroleum (royal?) jelly. Blech. No thanks.

How about tempeh?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I have not yet discovered a soy that didn't make my insides act as if an A-bomb had been set off, but I've not specifically set out to try tempeh, but considering I had to remove fermented foods completely from my diet (maybe temporarily, to be confirmed at later date) as a migraine trigger, the double-whammy there is going to leave that at the bottom of my "to try" list...for a rainy day when surviving hellish levels of misery seems somehow possible...
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@swezeytba - I swear, I tried something from Walden's Farms and it was like instant head-split open by an axe level of a migraine. Took hours to ease up, and I literally only swiped my finger across the top seal I'd taken off to see if I wanted to try it. That stuff went back to the store with a quickness!!! They took it back as they'd had no idea that anyone without food allergies could react that way.

I don't remember ragweed being positive on my allergy tests, but I don't get headaches from Stevia. Now, the WM generic brand of it in the green squeeze bottle which has natural flavors on the label, that stuff was second only to the WF stuff... UGH.

Monkfruit is supposed to be another one that's primarily safe - but it has a very old taste to me. Lacuma Powder is supposed to be a lighter sweetener that isn't artificial...as is Yacon Syrup. Both are a little pricey but don't trigger most of the other related issues...

@KnitOrMiss - Mine wasn't specifically Walden Farm's brand, but it was in a green squeeze bottle - I had one at work and one at home. They were a stevia/erythritol blend. One was a Kroger store brand and one was an Albertson's store brand so perhaps they were made by the same company? All I know is I haven't used any since Saturday and surprise, surprise no headaches since Saturday. Happy for that.

I agree I don't like the taste of the Monkfruit either....Tried that back in my CICO days.

Just tried today using straight Non-GMO erythritol that I got from Amazon in my coffee and just this afternoon in some tea. Going to take it easy and see how that goes! :)