Went to the Dr....now I dont know what to do! Help!

Options
2»

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I second Dragonwolf's Garden of Life suggestion. I use some of their protein powders for a change from the usuals.
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this will help any...
    I was listening to Keto talk yesterday and I hit the episode where they discussed the fact that a Ketogenic diet will normalize testosterone for both males and females. They also discussed that as you are losing those fat deposits they will release estrogen into your system. This in turn will eventually even out.
    Look! I have an obsession with Keto podcasts. At least I learn things!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    [. . .] and meats with hormones (that'll be trickier but I do hunt so I have some wild game to use).

http://igrow.org/livestock/beef/hormones-in-beef-myth-vs.-fact/ [Summary -- the amount of hormones in beef is insignificant, compared to the amounts in other foods and produced by your own body, by several orders of magnitude.]

http://huntgatherlove.com/content/hormones-beef-thought
    [. . .] in the U.S. we get most of our beef from steer—neutered bulls—while we save the cows for calving and milk production.

Bulls and steer differ hormonally. Bull meat samples tested by Fritsche and Steinhart [1] contained medians of 0.34 mg/kg testosterone and 0.32 mg/kg epitestosterone, while steer meat samples (from unsupplemented steers) contain medians of 0.01 mg/kg testosterone and 0.12 mg/kg epitestosterone. Bull meat had up to 1.05 mg/kg testosterone. Thus, bull meat contains a median of 34 times more testosterone and more than twice as much epitestosterone than steer meat; and bull meat might have up to 105 times as much testosterone as a steer.

Unless your wild game (assuming deer or boar) was female, you're probably getting much higher exposure to testosterone from it than from commercial beef/meat. In both cases, it's probably not enough to really be a concern. There's certainly little/no worry about the insignificant increase caused by an animal that was treated with hormones, compared to one that wasn't. Both animals will be significantly lower than their uncastrated male counterpart.

Even more significantly, orally consumed testosterone is metabolized and inactivated by the liver. So, it would take truly massive portions to cause an issue. Amounts well beyond even bull meat. So, wild game isn't going to be a real problem, either.

In short, meat isn't something you need to strictly avoid. I believe your doctor told you to avoid it, because of the persistent popular myths about hormone levels in meat, but it's based on misconceptions.
  • kmca1803
    kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    If fat loss is a concern would some intermittent fasting fit into your lifestyle? PCOS and insulin resistance go together, intimately and the only way I could get my body to use it's own fat stores was to incorporate fasting into my keto/low carb WOE. Admittedly your health situation is more complex than mine, and there can be some challenges for people with thyroid issues, but it is worth looking up Dr Jason Fungs site if interested. He explains the physiology of fasting very well.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I've had pcos for 23 years. this year has been my best controlled ever....moods...insulin...hormones all of it. I cut out wheat..sugar and starchy veggies oh and iud buh bye. lately I have been having starchy veggies in moderation and seem to be tolerating it well. good luck there is lots of great info and I feel like pcos is best controlled with nutrition.

I 2nd eggs I get farm fresh when I can and eat two for breakfast most mornings. I try and get drug free meat but I can't always.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    [. . .] and meats with hormones (that'll be trickier but I do hunt so I have some wild game to use).

http://igrow.org/livestock/beef/hormones-in-beef-myth-vs.-fact/ [Summary -- the amount of hormones in beef is insignificant, compared to the amounts in other foods and produced by your own body, by several orders of magnitude.]

http://huntgatherlove.com/content/hormones-beef-thought
    [. . .] in the U.S. we get most of our beef from steer—neutered bulls—while we save the cows for calving and milk production.

Bulls and steer differ hormonally. Bull meat samples tested by Fritsche and Steinhart [1] contained medians of 0.34 mg/kg testosterone and 0.32 mg/kg epitestosterone, while steer meat samples (from unsupplemented steers) contain medians of 0.01 mg/kg testosterone and 0.12 mg/kg epitestosterone. Bull meat had up to 1.05 mg/kg testosterone. Thus, bull meat contains a median of 34 times more testosterone and more than twice as much epitestosterone than steer meat; and bull meat might have up to 105 times as much testosterone as a steer.

Unless your wild game (assuming deer or boar) was female, you're probably getting much higher exposure to testosterone from it than from commercial beef/meat. In both cases, it's probably not enough to really be a concern. There's certainly little/no worry about the insignificant increase caused by an animal that was treated with hormones, compared to one that wasn't. Both animals will be significantly lower than their uncastrated male counterpart.

Even more significantly, orally consumed testosterone is metabolized and inactivated by the liver. So, it would take truly massive portions to cause an issue. Amounts well beyond even bull meat. So, wild game isn't going to be a real problem, either.

In short, meat isn't something you need to strictly avoid. I believe your doctor told you to avoid it, because of the persistent popular myths about hormone levels in meat, but it's based on misconceptions.

This is really good to know. I tried to contact a farm nearby (it's the only one we have) but so far I haven't heard anything back. If I can contact them and they have available meat I would love to support a local farm but it's nice to know that if I can't get it from that source I shouldn't be as worried when I get it from the grocery store.
  • Kimo159
    Options
    Not sure if this will help any...
    I was listening to Keto talk yesterday and I hit the episode where they discussed the fact that a Ketogenic diet will normalize testosterone for both males and females. They also discussed that as you are losing those fat deposits they will release estrogen into your system. This in turn will eventually even out.
    Look! I have an obsession with Keto podcasts. At least I learn things!

No judgement from me on your obsession!! Thanks for sharing the knowledge. I guess the estrogen in my fat deposits could explain the higher estrogen levels, the high T not so much but maybe that will level out with time as well if I continue keto.
  • Kimo159
    Options
    kmca1803 wrote: »
    If fat loss is a concern would some intermittent fasting fit into your lifestyle? PCOS and insulin resistance go together, intimately and the only way I could get my body to use it's own fat stores was to incorporate fasting into my keto/low carb WOE. Admittedly your health situation is more complex than mine, and there can be some challenges for people with thyroid issues, but it is worth looking up Dr Jason Fungs site if interested. He explains the physiology of fasting very well.

Most days I naturally incorporate some form of IF because I usually eat between 8:30-4:30, on days where I'm super hungry in the AM I'll have something earlier. What kind of IF have you found benefits you the most? 16:8?
  • Kimo159
    Options
    I've had pcos for 23 years. this year has been my best controlled ever....moods...insulin...hormones all of it. I cut out wheat..sugar and starchy veggies oh and iud buh bye. lately I have been having starchy veggies in moderation and seem to be tolerating it well. good luck there is lots of great info and I feel like pcos is best controlled with nutrition.

I 2nd eggs I get farm fresh when I can and eat two for breakfast most mornings. I try and get drug free meat but I can't always.

Clearly I need to throw more eggs into my diet. I love egg salad so I'll have to try that for some lunches. You said you got rid of the iud, was it a mirena or copper? Are you on nothing for BC then? I'm curious because I've just felt so crappy since my iud that I'm wondering if that isn't partly to blame? Or maybe it's just a long process to try to get my hormones to figure their stuff out and I just have to be patient...it's been over a year though (I had it put in Nov 2015).
  • kmca1803
    kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Most days I naturally incorporate some form of IF because I usually eat between 8:30-4:30, on days where I'm super hungry in the AM I'll have something earlier. What kind of IF have you found benefits you the most? 16:8?[/quote]

I used to do 20:4 mostly because I sort of fell into it and it fit with my work hours (hospital.)

Over a long time this has become less effective, mostly because it is very challenging for me to achieve and maintain low insulin levels except when fasting.

Recently I have been doing a minimum of 48hrs and a maximum of 5 days (Sunday pm - Friday pm), which is really less IF and more extended fasting. I find it quite free-ing in a lot of ways.

I will admit it took a while for me to adapt and work up to this (years!) but it is certainly effective. You do need to be well adapted to running on fat for it to be bearable though.

I wish you success on whichever route you take!