Butter & Other Fats

Options
I am relatively new to the LCHF diet, I totally understand that we have to increase our fat intake to compensate for the low carbs in our diets and many many video, posts, talk about how you have to increase and add natural butter for a source of the fat. Maybe a real stupid question but can I replace the butter source and get my equivalent fat from mayonnaise?

Replies

• bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    There is no rule that you have to get your fat from butter. Some people just don't like butter or just not enough to eat it in excess. The reason why it's suggested is because it's a pretty easy way to add the fat from butter. It can be used for sauteing veggies, making creamy sauces, in your coffee, etc etc. But yes, if you have a lot of dishes where mayonnaise is required (or you just like to eat mayonnaise right off the spoon) then by all means, get your fat from that (just stay away from low-fat mayonnaise, you may also want to look into mayonnaise made with olive oil instead of canola oil).
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    You can. Some mayonnaise is made from oils that aren't the best and can promote inflammation in some people so that's something to be aware of.
  • milgord
    milgord Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've used mayonnaise extensively, especially on a fat fast. It's hard for me to get 6tbsp of mayo down the gullet without a bulky delivery vehicle, though so I used lots of veggies to help. My typical fat fast meal was 2.5 cups broccoli, 6TBSP mayo, and a very fatty protein source (most frozen prepared meatballs are very high in fat vs protein). I can easily get to 90% fat this way. Lately, I've been leaning more on heavy whipping cream to up my fat.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Yep I was talking about Hellmans Mayo, which is made from Soybean. It looks like another example of anything commercially processed is bad and I found a homemade mayo recipe with olive oil that I will try to make my own! Appreciate all the help, a newbie here for sure but you guys are very helpful!
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,409 Member
    Options
    johnnylew wrote: »
    Thanks all! Yep I was talking about Hellmans Mayo, which is made from Soybean. It looks like another example of anything commercially processed is bad and I found a homemade mayo recipe with olive oil that I will try to make my own! Appreciate all the help, a newbie here for sure but you guys are very helpful!

Darn, I was hoping that wasn't the answer. I love Hellman's mayo.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

You can also do homemade mayo with avocado oil. I find that tastes much better than olive oil mayos which can be bitter, even using high quality EVOO. You might want to sub at least part of the OO with avocado.

And welcome to LCD.

@retirehappy - Do you have a good recipe? (forgive my ignorance if we're talking oil+egg+salt simplicity, I've never done mayo)
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »

Me too! i am going to finish what I have in the frig and then try to make my own. I am finding anything commercially made is not good for the LCHF diet.
  • Lois_1989
    Options

Me too! i am going to finish what I have in the frig and then try to make my own. I am finding anything commercially made is not good for the LCHF diet.

Heh, I know. No shortcuts allowed! I have found some 'low-carb' protein bars as a last resort which I will forgive, but apart from that it's all home made.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    If you really like mayo, here is an easy recipe to make your own using olive oil:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/blender-mayonnaise-51183000

Also, be careful of blue cheese dressing as most of those use soybean oil. Here is a recipe for that as well:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/blue-cheese-dressing

Companies will generally use the cheapest ingredients, which will often be soybean since there are such huge government subsidies to farmers who grow it.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Here is the basic recipe I use:
    http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

It uses immersion blender, you can do this in a food processor if you don't have one, just mix all but oil into the bowl, then drizzle the oil into the bowl using the tiny hole in the food processor's food plunger while processing. It goes quickly with either device.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    If you really like mayo, here is an easy recipe to make your own using olive oil:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/blender-mayonnaise-51183000

Also, be careful of blue cheese dressing as most of those use soybean oil. Here is a recipe for that as well:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/blue-cheese-dressing

Companies will generally use the cheapest ingredients, which will often be soybean since there are such huge government subsidies to farmers who grow it.

Thank you! Yes, trying to get 100% off soybean and canola.

It uses immersion blender, you can do this in a food processor if you don't have one, just mix all but oil into the bowl, then drizzle the oil into the bowl using the tiny hole in the food processor's food plunger while processing. It goes quickly with either device.

Thank you! I have an immersion blender...whew! I was afraid I had to whisk the whole thing! :lol:
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options

Well thank you for that! In 5 minutes, I gathered up the ingredients, a perfect sized jar and my immersion blender and made some. Pretty tasty!

I used lime juice since I had some limes on hand. Will try lemon or vinegar next batch. Possibly avocado oil. I'm not a huge fan of olive oil for many things which is why I had the extra light available. I made mayo years and years ago but don't remember it whipping up so nicely. Must be the immersion blender versus regular blender that I had way back when.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options

There's a brand called Primal Kitchen that I believe is available at most grocery stores. It's more expensive than mayonnaise using canola and/or soybean oil. This mayo uses Avocado oil.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    How about trying a lot more variety of healthy fats in various ways? Coconut milk and coconut oil, bacon fat, heavy whipping cream, avocado, nuts, cheese, fattier cuts of meat, etc. I use different fats for different dishes
  • AngiesCookie
    AngiesCookie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I attempted to eat coconut oil last night on a spoon. it was an interesting experience. I did about a 1/2 Tbs before I stopped. It was just too weird! I wish we had KerryGold butter here in WI. :(
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    I attempted to eat coconut oil last night on a spoon. it was an interesting experience. I did about a 1/2 Tbs before I stopped. It was just too weird! I wish we had KerryGold butter here in WI. :(

I know what you mean. I lick the spoon after using it and I couldn't imagine eating a spoon full. I've added lime juice and coconut and frozen it to make a bomb and it makes it a bit better, but still feels weird.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

I am in the camp that doesn't see the need to eat straight fat. There are enough ways to use it in a way that makes food taste better and aren't weird. I mix coconut oil and olive oil together sometimes when sauteing veggies, for instance. I also combine one of those with bacon grease for the same purpose as I like to add bacon to veggies like the Brussels sprouts below.

I think we are better eating real foods and using fats to enhance them rather than just eating fats to hit some magical macro ratio. The quality of what you are eating - including micronutrients - as important if not more important for overall health.
    rxqqa5ifpamf.jpg
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

I am in the camp that doesn't see the need to eat straight fat. There are enough ways to use it in a way that makes food taste better and aren't weird. I mix coconut oil and olive oil together sometimes when sauteing veggies, for instance. I also combine one of those with bacon grease for the same purpose as I like to add bacon to veggies like the Brussels sprouts below.

I think we are better eating real foods and using fats to enhance them rather than just eating fats to hit some magical macro ratio. The quality of what you are eating - including micronutrients - as important if not more important for overall health.
    rxqqa5ifpamf.jpg

I agree. There's absolutely no reason to ever just eat a spoonful of fat. If you're hungry, eat food.