Blood work experiment

Options
2»

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Good luck! Maybe have a pint of vinegar every night before bed?

I will save the vinegar for the next one maybe. I can only do so much with LCHF and metformin I suspect. The reality is that I brought the A1C down from high 12's to 6.9 in 3 months. My doctor had set a goal of 7.2 for me as I recall, but he told me it might take a while to bring things down this much. I think he was somewhat startled to see such a decrease, and I am sure he attributed it to my following the Diabetes Association diet - heh.

If I can get a reading below 6, I will be pretty pleased with how things are going.

In the interests of full disclosure I did try vinegar before going to bed for a few weeks in October trying to get the dawn-effect/whatever fasting BG under control. I could not tell that it made any difference for me. I was also not drinking a pint of it...
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    JK about the vinegar. I'll dump a tiny amount in soup or pickle juice, but it hasn't grabbed me just yet.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,955 Member
    Options
    eneild wrote: »
    Bump
    Really good info here. @baconslave perhaps this could be added to the launch pad?

WTH...never got the tag notification for this one... :angry:
    I'll put it in Open Threads in a sec.

We already have these there:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @RalfLott & @2t9nty -

My understanding about the vinegar at night helping dawn phenomenon is that it must be Apple Cider Vinegar, with the mother, and 1-2 oz in 8-16 oz of water, right before bed. I've no idea of the mechanism or efficacy, but that's what I've been told to try. Amounts may need to be tweaked, individually.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Well - this morning I had a lower fasting BG than last night before bed. It was 113 -vs- 115, so "really" the same reading, but I will take anything here. I may give the vinegar a try after the next checkup.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    erin3011 wrote: »
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    "My doc said this WOE would drastically increase all my number and cause me to be on meds. He suggested a HCLF diet instead of LCHF. He said our bodies weren't built for a LC diet. We shall see."

First, my body begs to differ.

Second, given your numbers, I doubt you'll see much change. Triglycerides might go down further, HDL might go up a little more, LDL may or may not go up a little.

But here's the thing with LDL -- going up on the test isn't necessarily a bad thing. If he wants to freak, insist on the test mentioned in previous comments here. Dollars to donuts, your particle size will go up and number will be the same or decrease, which are very good things.

I just watched the fat head video about this! It is interesting that these tests are done before handing out the pills. I told my doc that I would NEVER take statins. They are dangerous in my opinion. He tried to tell me that while there is a very rare minuet chance of a bad reaction, it practically never happens and I'd be hard pressed to find someone who actually has had a bad reaction to it. Little does he know that I'm married to a man that could have lost his liver and kidneys (and possibly his life) had he not gotten the 3 week liver enzymes and blood work check done. This test has now been deemed unnecessary (thanks to some fancy studies) and is no longer covered with insurance. He got a call from the doctor and they asked him to go into the hospital/ER to have the test re-done. They were thinking the test was just faulty. They asked him if he could walk, and if he felt ok. He felt fine. (He was a very fit triathlete at the time, and thankfully drank about a gallon of water per day.) When he got the result of the second test, they immediately admitted him to the hospital. His liver enzymes (I can't remember what they are called) were supposed to be under 100... they were above 8000. The doctors were stumped as to how he was even able to walk, let alone feel fine. He had attributed any muscle pain/fatigue to his intense training, and didn't realize anything was wrong. He had to have the drug flushed from his system and they monitored his liver and kidney functions for 5 days. They said that his organs weren't functions properly, and if flushing the meds out didn't "restart" them, that further "treatment/interventions" would need to be discussed. Thankfully they all responded well and he is doing fine. He has some organ damage and can't take a certain medication now (he can't take any statins, anything with the same delivery system as a station, and he can't take Tylenol) but otherwise he is ok. He went on a low fat high carb vegan diet for about two years and his numbers only climbed. With no way to control his cholesterol medically or dietary, he pretty much has given up caring about those numbers. I'm hoping to see a good reaction with my blood work, to prove to him that eating an egg yolk isn't the problem! Sugar is! He wants to lose weight, but is scared to do a HFLC diet. He's been told his entire life that fat is evil and saturated fat is deadly.
    We shall see!

Hope your husband sees the light. My husband had to stop them on his own. His dr. told him his muscle aches were from being over active (he gardens, yoga, and walks, hardly over active) and older. The reason drs. say issues are rare is because they do not listen when patients report the issues. My husband had the aches and when he was tested for liver issues, he had slightly enlarged one at the time. After he stopped and about 6 months later his liver was retested, his liver was well within normal range again. Only thing that changed was going off them. His dr. had told him to stop drinking wine, he didn't do that, he does a glass or two with dinner 3-4 days a week and drinks no other alcohol. His liver went back to normal because he stopped the statins. Since then I started cooking much more LCHF, his last chol. no. was the lowest it has ever been without statins, below the older standard of 250, but higher than the new 200 standard. He feels so much better, he is happy with that result.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Lab Corp will do these. According to Jimmy Moore or Dr Nally (can't remember which of them said it), if you call them, they will run them. If I understood it correctly, they will essentially get you a doctor's order for them from their network.

They are not in all states, but they are the ones I remember because that is who ran my blood work. There was another lab mentioned, but I don't recall the name. Then Jimmy Moore mentioned a mail in lab that you can use from anywhere, but then you get into whether or not you can get insurance to cover it.

I am sure you can go to one of Jimmy Moore's websites (i.e. http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/) and get the names of labs and even more info on how to get these done.

lifeextension.com/Vitamins-Supplements/Blood-Tests

I find the Male/Female panel tests are 50% or more cheaper ($269 on sale) than going to a local clinic. I do have to drive 50 miles to a test center but the upside there is a Harbor Freight store near the lab that takes the blood samples. :)

These results are not put in your national health care records for many to see as I understand it.