I'm still not comfortable asking for..

Options
scgfitlife
scgfitlife Posts: 55 Member
edited February 2017 in Social Groups
No bun. When I first started my journey with keto back in May, I was at a restaurant and asked for no bun with my burger. The waitress gave me a look (I will never forget) and told me "Oh, you're one of those." Today I tried again and received the same response (different restaurant). I feel like a wasteful human being and want to be able to NOT GIVE A DAMN what people think. I know what I should do is just smile and remember I'm the one on this journey, not the waitress but easier said than done, ya know?

Please tell me I'm not alone? Is this even an issue for y'all?

Replies

• CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    What do those truly gluten intolerant people do? Im sure they order bunless burgers!! I'm surprised anyone bats an eye given how customizing orders has become a norm for any and every reason. I admit I'm shy about it and have yet to order a bunless burger at a place that doesn't already offer it in a lettuce wrap. But you're not being wasteful...ordering the bun and then tossing it would be. I say just keep doing it. You don't owe anyone an explanation but if you feel better giving one, just say bread upsets your digestion or causes you some kind of problem. For most of us here that is true!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    How rude! I live in a small city in the South and haven't really had any trouble.
    And asking for no bun is not wasteful; it's not like you're getting a bun and then tossing it (though I think that's fine, too, if they don't understand or honor your request).
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I can't say I've noticed nasty looks. I don't go out often but the last couple times I have, it's been burger with cheese & bacon, no bun, and caesar salad (*) instead of fries. If there was 'a look' I guess it went over my head.

Or maybe LCHF is more common around here and they're used to it?

(* I always forget to tell them no croutons lol.)
  • scgfitlife
    Options
    Maybe I should have said that while the town I live in is quite large, it's predominately the older generation who have lived here for before it was even incorporated. It's probably a more mental thing and it is why I stick to mostly home cooking.
  • scgfitlife
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    The worst part about not asking for no bun is that often half the cheese is wasted by sticking to the underside!! :'(

In all honesty, this is why I finally decided to post this :#

Thank you everyone for your replies. It's a mental block I have to get over and just decide that it's not their business why I don't need he dang bun.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Imagine asking for no plants as well! Lol
    Yesterday I ate at O Charley's with a friend. I didn't want to spend $23 for the ribeye so I asked how big the burgers were because the weight wasn't noted on the menu. Each patty was 8 oz.
    I asked if I could just get 2 beef patties with cheese but only if the cheese was cheddar and not American cheese.
    I didn't have any problem with the special request because I don't want to buy food I don't eat. I also said I don't want to pay for 2 whole burger meals so can you find out if I can just buy the patties. I ended up with 16 oz. of burger with cheddar for $8.
    It's not this easy everywhere to get a better deal but I don't really care what people think so I'll ask and at least get no bun or sides even if they won't cut me a break.
    I have the same thing when I'm ordering alcohol. I always get tequila with club soda (not tonic) in a salted glass. I stress 'not tonic' because if I don't, I get tonic 50% of the time and have to send it back. Which I do.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    What do those truly gluten intolerant people do? Im sure they order bunless burgers!! I'm surprised anyone bats an eye given how customizing orders has become a norm for any and every reason. I admit I'm shy about it and have yet to order a bunless burger at a place that doesn't already offer it in a lettuce wrap. But you're not being wasteful...ordering the bun and then tossing it would be. I say just keep doing it. You don't owe anyone an explanation but if you feel better giving one, just say bread upsets your digestion or causes you some kind of problem. For most of us here that is true!

I grill the staff, I ask, I demand re-assurances and I order bunless burgers all the time. It did not take me that long to get used to it, it is my body, my health so I decide what to put into it.

You are the customer, so ask for what you want, and let the tip show how happy you are with the service. Luckily, in the UK I have not had many issues getting my food served how I want it.