I'm still not comfortable asking for..

Options

Replies

• swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I just got charged $3.00 extra yesterday to sub grilled chicken for breaded chicken.....A little ridiculous in my opinion but was already in the middle of paying when I realized it....
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    hazel1505 wrote: »
    I have a granddaughter that is Celiac. hubby and I went to Bobs burger and beer. and they had a gluten free bun for $1.00 extra. g/d had NEVER had a bun. the waiter says most people just eat it without a bun. I told him she had never had a hamnurger with a bun. she was 6 or 7 at the time. short story the bun didn't taste good. so she ate it without. but she got to have a couple bites of a real hambuger she said.

BJ's Brewhouse has started doing gluten free buns. I tried it one time. It was pretty good for what it was (by no means a wheat bun, but not terrible), but fell apart halfway through the burger. I ended up just eating the rest of it with a fork.
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    I tell them I'm diabetic and act like they naturally will know that means I can't eat carbs (like saying I'm allergic to peanuts...). Usually, they nod like they get it.

(If the bread comes anyhow, I take it with me and drop it the nearest place that has birds or squirrels nearby. :p)

Awwww that's adorable!

They certainly seem appreciative!

If my cats would eat burger buns, they could help themselves, but they're off carbs since they switched to kitty keto kans & kibbles.

My kitties also eat low carb. One of them is diabetic and has been off insulin for almost a year now, all thanks to eating low carb. The food they get has about 4% carbs last I checked.

Aha! Which food is that?

Fancy Feast Classic Turkey and Giblets - I buy several cases at a time because I have 2 large kitties that eat a lot.

ETA: I just checked again and found this: http://mybeaconvet.com/clients/10103/documents/FANCY_FEAST_VARIETIES.pdf

It says 5.45%! So perhaps I should switch to Chicken. Fish doesn't agree with them, otherwise I would consider those varieties.

ETA again: The Classic Turkey and Giblets has 1.5% fiber according to Fancy Feast website (which doesn't list total carbs for some reason)... So wherever I found 4% in the past (I think a feline diabetes site) must have counted net carbs at 4%, fiber at 1.5%, and protein / fat for the rest.

For what it's worth, organ meat is surprisingly carby. It's possible that's where most of it's coming from. You should be able to check the ingredients on the can.

That said, have a look at Blue Buffalo (here's one of their cat foods -- https://bluebuffalo.com/natural-cat-food/grain-free-blue-wilderness/wet-food/wilderness-wild-delights-chicken-and-turkey-recipe-canned-cat-food/). They're grain-free and I think low carb. As far as commerical foods go, they're one that specifically goes for more species-appropriate. They tend to be a little pricier, but there's not much in the way of fillers.

You could also try supplementing with actual raw food (though cats tend to be picky--it usually needs to be pretty fresh and not cold).

When I was at 5 guys last weekend I asked for the bunless burger and the cashier asked if it due to allergies - I was confused because normally they don't ask that and she said "are you doing low carb or do you have an allergy to wheat". Then I got it!!

I've been doing lettuce wraps from 5 Guys a lot lately. I was also a little surprised when they asked if it was an allergy or not. Eventually I asked why they ask. They said it was because they change their gloves for allergies to eliminate gross contamination. I didn't even know touching a bun was enough to give someone an allergic reaction! Which makes me curious why other places don't ask too.

Yep, people with severe Celiac and/or severe wheat allergies (yes, there is an actual allergy, and it's different from Celiac) can be so sensitive that even the dust from the flour getting on their food can trigger a reaction. I've seen cases where it's so severe that they react to even from the particles in the air (not unlike what happens with some with severe peanut allergies).

That's why most places won't say "gluten free" (and instead may say "gluten friendly" or "made with gluten free ingredients"), or will be sure to have a cross-contamination disclaimer.

I was a bit surprised when the 5 Guys cashier asked me that question, too, though, because they're the only place that has. I do like that they're being more considerate of people with medical reasons for going sans bun than even the places that will happily do so when you say something about it.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    I tell them I'm diabetic and act like they naturally will know that means I can't eat carbs (like saying I'm allergic to peanuts...). Usually, they nod like they get it.

(If the bread comes anyhow, I take it with me and drop it the nearest place that has birds or squirrels nearby. :p)

Awwww that's adorable!

They certainly seem appreciative!

If my cats would eat burger buns, they could help themselves, but they're off carbs since they switched to kitty keto kans & kibbles.

My kitties also eat low carb. One of them is diabetic and has been off insulin for almost a year now, all thanks to eating low carb. The food they get has about 4% carbs last I checked.

Aha! Which food is that?

Fancy Feast Classic Turkey and Giblets - I buy several cases at a time because I have 2 large kitties that eat a lot.

ETA: I just checked again and found this: http://mybeaconvet.com/clients/10103/documents/FANCY_FEAST_VARIETIES.pdf

It says 5.45%! So perhaps I should switch to Chicken. Fish doesn't agree with them, otherwise I would consider those varieties.

ETA again: The Classic Turkey and Giblets has 1.5% fiber according to Fancy Feast website (which doesn't list total carbs for some reason)... So wherever I found 4% in the past (I think a feline diabetes site) must have counted net carbs at 4%, fiber at 1.5%, and protein / fat for the rest.

For what it's worth, organ meat is surprisingly carby. It's possible that's where most of it's coming from. You should be able to check the ingredients on the can.

That said, have a look at Blue Buffalo (here's one of their cat foods -- https://bluebuffalo.com/natural-cat-food/grain-free-blue-wilderness/wet-food/wilderness-wild-delights-chicken-and-turkey-recipe-canned-cat-food/). They're grain-free and I think low carb. As far as commerical foods go, they're one that specifically goes for more species-appropriate. They tend to be a little pricier, but there's not much in the way of fillers.

You could also try supplementing with actual raw food (though cats tend to be picky--it usually needs to be pretty fresh and not cold).

I do use Blue Wilderness dry food for the times when I can't be home to feed them on time. I use a computer to feed them. It is uncommon and not more than 1 or maybe 2 meals in a row. I know the dry food has lower carbs than some, but it still has potatoes and carrots.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    One of our brood is gluten sensitive, and we're careful what we give him. For some reason, he's happiest on pricey duck and potato dry food. Beats us why. He's slim and fit, and doesn't itch or have GI fireworks if we keep his food confined to that and a few select wet foods.

I suppose a theory behind peas, carrots, and potatoes in cat food is that mice and birds would eat plant products before being swallowed whole by a hungry kitties, thereby turning the kitties into omnivores...
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Good for Five Guys! That's great they're that allergy-aware. One of my twins was allergic to wheat, corn, strawberries, peanuts, sesame and cinnamon when he was younger. Amazingly he outgrew all of that but his brother now has a tree nut allergy.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, organ meat is surprisingly carby.

Just liver, right? Due to the whole glycogen storage thing?

• englishmuffinruns
    englishmuffinruns Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Ack! How rude!!

My brother and his family were in town last weekend, and we all went out to a local pub type place for lunch. I ordered the burger with no bun and the waitress didn't bat an eye. My brother and his wife, on the other hand, looked at me like I was insane.
  • RalfLott
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Ack! How rude!!

My brother and his family were in town last weekend, and we all went out to a local pub type place for lunch. I ordered the burger with no bun and the waitress didn't bat an eye. My brother and his wife, on the other hand, looked at me like I was insane. :s

Our Shocked, Superstitious, or Stubborn Siblings Society is stocked with sisters. But no reason brothers can't be inducted.
  • crunchketo
    crunchketo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it but if they make a comment I quickly say, "yup, I'm one of those that gets the runs from gluten. I'm too far from your bathroom, so no bun please!" Said with a laugh they have the chance to save face and learn to curb their tongue next time
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

Tongue has some, too. My google-fu is failing me at the moment on the others and just turning up "stuff without carbs" type of entries, but I vaguely recall most actually having some amount.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    carlsoda wrote: »
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    scgfitlife wrote: »
    The worst part about not asking for no bun is that often half the cheese is wasted by sticking to the underside!! :'(

When I was at 5 guys last weekend I asked for the bunless burger and the cashier asked if it due to allergies - I was confused because normally they don't ask that and she said "are you doing low carb or do you have an allergy to wheat". Then I got it!!

Yep, this is actually a good sign because it shows that they know they must be more careful with allergy requests for no bun. They have experience. Also make sure that the burgers you order have no fillers, are pure beef, same goes for meatloaf. Pretty easy for places to have crumbs or bread mixed in to make the burgers more tender and fluffy. I admit I often put a bit of GF bread in my burgers because I like the texture.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options

Yes. Shrimp/crap/lobster are also somewhat carby because they don't go thru rigor mortis when they die - rigor burns most of the carbs out of other meats.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Yes. Shrimp/crap/lobster are also somewhat carby because they don't go thru rigor mortis when they die - rigor burns most of the carbs out of other meats.

That's good to know. A few months ago, I had some liver and my BG sky-rocketed. There was a little bit of breading, but just not enough to explain it. Now I understand. And I guess liver, shrimp, crab, and lobster are all on the "do not eat" list now. Here in the midwest, seafood is very expensive, harder to find, and I almost never eat it anyway. So the only tangible change for me is to not order liver.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    No bun. When I first started my journey with keto back in May, I was at a restaurant and asked for no bun with my burger. The waitress gave me a look (I will never forget) and told me "Oh, you're one of those." Today I tried again and received the same response (different restaurant). I feel like a wasteful human being and want to be able to NOT GIVE A DAMN what people think. I know what I should do is just smile and remember I'm the one on this journey, not the waitress but easier said than done, ya know?

Please tell me I'm not alone? Is this even an issue for y'all?

When I was a hard core vegetarian, I still wanted the hot dog experience. You can only imagine the looks I got at hot dog stands when I asked for a hot with everything expect the hot dog. I loved the seeded bun, hot peppers, saurkraut, and onions on those things and would get a dogless hot dog whenever I was near a stand.

I just laughed it all off. I'm paying, I want it my way. If I got any flack, I took my purse elsewhere. Oh that reminds me of a work out clothing shop that opened in our local mall years ago. I was browsing when a very over weight lady came in and the asked if they had anything in her size. The teenager who was working, looked her over and made a really disgusting face, and said " No, you would have to lose a LOT OF WEIGHT before you could touch anything here." The lady ran out of the store, I left, went to the mall's service desk, asked for a comment form, and filled it out and instructed them to give it to the manager of the store. I never spent a cent in that store, and it went out of business in less than a year. They had some cool looking things, but the service there must have continued to be that awful.
  • RalfLott
    edited March 2017
    Options

That's good to know. A few months ago, I had some liver and my BG sky-rocketed. There was a little bit of breading, but just not enough to explain it. Now I understand. And I guess liver, shrimp, crab, and lobster are all on the "do not eat" list now. Here in the midwest, seafood is very expensive, harder to find, and I almost never eat it anyway. So the only tangible change for me is to not order liver.

Thanks for the tipoff on shellfish!

As it transpires, they appear to vary quite a bit in the amount of carbs they contain:

shellfish-table.jpg

http://thepaleodiet.com/believe-shellfish-contains-carbohydrate/

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Wow @RalfLott . That chart is pretty interesting. We're keen on shrimp, Alaskan crab, oysters and mussels in our household. The diff between blue mussels raw, blue mussels cooked and mussels Atlantic/Pacific is perplexing.
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options

One of those things I didn't want to know but will now never get out of my head. My DH told me lobsters are immortal the other day. Now I have a comeback for him the next time that comes up in the conversation..."Really, I just thought they never went through rigor mortis". Oh wait, of course they don't go through rigor mortis...they are immortal!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    suzqtme wrote: »

One of those things I didn't want to know but will now never get out of my head. My DH told me lobsters are immortal the other day. Now I have a comeback for him the next time that comes up in the conversation..."Really, I just thought they never went through rigor mortis". Oh wait, of course they don't go through rigor mortis...they are immortal!

:p
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    No bun. When I first started my journey with keto back in May, I was at a restaurant and asked for no bun with my burger. The waitress gave me a look (I will never forget) and told me "Oh, you're one of those." Today I tried again and received the same response (different restaurant). I feel like a wasteful human being and want to be able to NOT GIVE A DAMN what people think. I know what I should do is just smile and remember I'm the one on this journey, not the waitress but easier said than done, ya know?

Please tell me I'm not alone? Is this even an issue for y'all?

When I was a hard core vegetarian, I still wanted the hot dog experience. You can only imagine the looks I got at hot dog stands when I asked for a hot with everything expect the hot dog. I loved the seeded bun, hot peppers, saurkraut, and onions on those things and would get a dogless hot dog whenever I was near a stand.

My wife is a vegetarian who also likes things like this, which in many ways works out well for me. We will go places and she will get the meat on the side so I can add it to my meal - i.e. big mac with the meat on the side. I don't like McDonald's, but my wife likes the meatless big mac, so we will go there on occasion.

We recently got a Cotton Patch restaurant in our town. They have a really good cob salad with bacon and chicken. We both order it, but she gets the bacon and chicken on the side and I add it to mine. It's a win/win.

Back in the 90's, we would get some odd looks when we did this type of thing. I'm not sure if the looks stopped or we stopped noticing/caring. Either way, it works well for us.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Almost every burger place I know of offers either a lettuce wrap or a low carb flat bread alternative. No one blinks an eye when you have no bun.