Not liking this LCHF Diet, no sir...

Options
I am never hungry anymore! I used to LOVE LOVE LOVE to eat. Now I am forcing down meals, today I probably could have gone without the salad I had for lunch. I definitely wont have dinner.

So this is what you mean to be in Ketosis. My body is happy with burning the fat I currently have and has no desire to bring anything else in.

Of course some of this is tongue in cheek. I love to see my weight chart in decline. But its absolutely weird not to get hungry. Maybe this is not permanent. Thoughts?

Replies

• mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I go through food apathy phases with this WOE. I never understood people who would talk about not knowing what or not wanting to eat or not being really ready to eat anything at the particular moment. But, i do kind of understand now.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    I wouldn't force it if you're not hungry. Hungry days will come again.

Thanks!
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Yes, its an ebb and flow. This woe has taught me how to distinguish real hunger from mindless eating.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    You will have hungrier days, but as for me I welcome the freedom from food. I love not always thinking about food and wondering when I'm going to eat next and what I'm going to eat next....

I AM IN CONTROL! Not the food! :)

Thats awesome! I love it. Once I get used to it i am sure I will fully adapt. People beat me up for not eating more but they dont understand.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Agreed that hungry days will come again! Most of the time I eat at mealtimes out of habit and not from hunger. But every now and then, I am ravenous and I do eat more on those days.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    @johnnylew I completely understand. I love eating. My favorite restaurants were always those that offered all you can eat - and I can eat. I am very active, so I still eat far more than most here (3200-3500 cal/day), but not nearly as much or as often as I did before.

My wife is still trying to get used to the new me. She had learned after many years to not ask "if" I was hungry, but rather how hungry I was because I was always hungry. Now, after 20+ years, she is struggling with seeing that I no longer eat breakfast and almost never eat anything after dinner.

My biggest struggle is not eating out of habit or boredom. I will sometimes have a snack in the afternoon, but I have to be careful to not eat too much or just eat it due to boredom/habit because then I am sitting having family dinner time and not hungry and trying to force down some food just to be sociable.

You should absolutely expect some days where you are super hungry. Those will almost surely come. On the flip side, those days you are just not hungry at all, don't feel like you have to eat. If you have any fat on you, which even the leanest people have some, have enough to make days without eating. Many on here fasted, either IF or full day fasts, for the first time "on accident" because they just weren't hungry.

Even if you eat the SAD, one day a week of fasting will significantly improve your health markers. You don't have to fast, but it won't hurt you and probably will help you if you do it from time to time.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling this way lately too, for about two weeks. My thing is: I'm marathon training. So running 30-40 miles a week and only able to manage getting down 1400-1600 calories (TDEE should be around 2000 and I'm only wanting to lose the last 5ish pounds). I get scared that if I don't eat enough, I won't be able to fuel my training.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    I've been feeling this way lately too, for about two weeks. My thing is: I'm marathon training. So running 30-40 miles a week and only able to manage getting down 1400-1600 calories (TDEE should be around 2000 and I'm only wanting to lose the last 5ish pounds). I get scared that if I don't eat enough, I won't be able to fuel my training.

Check out this study before you get too concerned:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0026049515003340
  • hawilliams78
    hawilliams78 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you all to get into ketosis? Right now I'm at about 50-60 total carbs, or 25-30 net carbs. But I'm only on my 2nd day....
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    How long did it take you all to get into ketosis? Right now I'm at about 50-60 total carbs, or 25-30 net carbs. But I'm only on my 2nd day....

@hawilliams78 I felt it start in two days (but I was on a low calorie diet and exercising for a few weeks before I went to 30g Carbs per day diet) by the 3rd to 5th day I was in Ketosis. More energy than I have ever had, not hungry and was a struggle to get to my calorie intake goal. I have since scrapped trying to meet my calorie intake.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Isn't it liberating to not be controlled by food and hunger!?!

I tested at 0.7 for blood ketones by the end of my first 24 hours. I had a positive urine ketone test by then as well. I cut to 20g total carbs from day 1. I also don't think I was insulin resistant as far as I know so I'm sure that helped.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    Isn't it liberating to not be controlled by food and hunger!?!

I tested at 0.7 for blood ketones by the end of my first 24 hours. I had a positive urine ketone test by then as well. I cut to 20g total carbs from day 1. I also don't think I was insulin resistant as far as I know so I'm sure that helped.

@Sunny_Bunny_ Thank YOU! I am
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ learning alot from you.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    I believe Phinney and Volek say it can take up to 6 weeks to be fully fat adapted. You can be in ketosis before then, but it takes a bit longer for your body to default to burning fat (ketones) preferentially over glucose.

@johnnylew - I know you spend some time on the treadmill. When you cross that threshold, you will know it, or at least I did. Endurance was no longer an issue. It felt like I could just keep going and going and going. This study by Jeff Volek explains this:

You will also notice a difference by having a bit of sodium 30 minutes or so before hand followed by 8-12 oz of water right before you start. Blood volume increases when you exercise. The sodium helps you to retain more water so when it pulls it from the cells throughout your body, it doesn't have the same negative effect. Steven Phinney recommends 1,000 mg of sodium for the high endurance athletes. For us middle aged men who are only doing a 5-10km and not ultramarathons, we can probably do less. I personally started doing about a quarter of that recently, and it seemed to help.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

Check out this study before you get too concerned:

Thanks for the reference. What I gathered from it is that I shouldn't be worried about lack of carbs effecting my performance. But what about lack of calories? Does fat-adaptation mean that muscle cannibalism isn't an issue if I'm not getting enough overall fuel? (If this is thread-derailing I can start a new one to discuss this :smile:)